• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Munster have identified him as a utility,
And Bath brought Piers Francis in as a FH - it still doesn't make him a FH though.

(My apologies, I thought you were saying POC IS a utility player rather than specifically centre, rather than what Munster were looking to get from him)

And Bath brought Piers Francis in as a FH - it still doesn't make him a FH though.

(My apologies, I thought you were saying POC IS a utility player rather than specifically centre, rather than what Munster were looking to get from him)
No Munster will look to use him primarily as a centre but his role will be to fill gaps all over.

He will not be brought in as solely a centre.

Any rumours on Chiefs signings yet? Not heard any just wondered as alot of leavers you'd think there would be a coople of rumours by now.

The welsh 12? Good signing yet is 12 a weak position for us?
Have to imagine Whitten is retiring soon (this news makes me pretty confident it'll be the end of this season). Devoto just can't be counted on given his injury record and while it sounds harsh, I hope we offload him fairly soon as he really is just taking up cap space at this point. O'Loughlin isn't a 12, and Hawkins would be a huge upgrade upon the likes of Hendrickson.

I've been very impressed by Kata so far, but there are undeniably aspects to his game that are lacking. He's good, but Baxter has always favoured 12s who have strong passing/kicking games over out-and-out power players. Hawkins is exactly that. He's got a huge future ahead of him and I think he'd really thrive in the Chiefs setup. If this rumour is true then it's one I'll be very happy with.

Have to imagine Whitten is retiring soon (this news makes me pretty confident it'll be the end of this season). Devoto just can't be counted on given his injury record and while it sounds harsh, I hope we offload him fairly soon as he really is just taking up cap space at this point. O'Loughlin isn't a 12, and Hawkins would be a huge upgrade upon the likes of Hendrickson.

I've been very impressed by Kata so far, but there are undeniably aspects to his game that are lacking. He's good, but Baxter has always favoured 12s who have strong passing/kicking games over out-and-out power players. Hawkins is exactly that. He's got a huge future ahead of him and I think he'd really thrive in the Chiefs setup. If this rumour is true then it's one I'll be very happy with.
Pretty sure Baxter is hoping to god they scrap the 60 cap rule.

Pretty sure Baxter is hoping to god they scrap the 60 cap rule.
At this point I'd be surprised if it makes any difference. If a thriving young player like Hawkins is jumping ship, the likes of Tshiunza, Jenkins, Feyi-Waboso, etc. would have to be mental to go back to Wales. International rugby will mean a lot to them but I bet job security means a fair bit more.

At least 3 French clubs want to sign Marcus Smith now that Borthwick has made it very obvious he has no future with England
Has he made it clear or do you mean because he chose not to pay him at the weekend?

Smith will be in the plans and Faz and Ford are getting to the end of their career i doubt smith would go tbh.

Has he made it clear or do you mean because he chose not to pay him at the weekend?

Smith will be in the plans and Faz and Ford are getting to the end of their career i doubt smith would go tbh.
Bringing players on with 20 seconds left is about as disrespectful as a manager can be to a player without publicly saying he doesn't trust them. The justification SB tried to give afterwards was pathetic.

Quite simply, as evidenced by Leicester, SB has a game plan that does not involve anyone who can and wants to play the heads up rugby that Smith does. A 10 with a running game is complete anathema to the way SB wants to play

Does anyone seriously think that post world cup SB will turn round and say he is building a team around Smith? Not a chance

As to Faz and Ford, people need to wake up to economic reality. They are on deals predicated on a certain enhancement from international fees. They are not stepping away post world cup

Smith can swap his £450k pa at Quins for €1m pa in France and no England call ups

That is a major win for both parties

Based upon previous posts, I've come to the conclusion that @Teddington Logic seems to have an unshakeable belief their opinion and fact are the same thing …

I do agree that Borthwick's treatment of the subs (including Smith) in the last couple of games has been poor. However, I think it has a lot more to do with self preservation rooted in the fear of making a change that costs a win.

Borthwick knows he has France and Ireland up next who we are very unlikely to beat. After the Scotland game, he couldn't really afford to lose against Italy and Wales so I think that led to him being ultra-conservative with his substitutions.

Personally, I don't think that means Smith's England career is done and dusted. I just think it means Borthwick is risk averse and wants to get his reign off to the best possible start and tactically sees Farrell as the safer option (somewhat ironically on current form).

Erhhh

I mean it's a pretty logical jump to question Marcus standing with England.

Ford still has potentially one more RWC in him espcially given his playing style.

Finn Smith imo will overtake Marcus under Borthwick.

Latest posts