• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

Max Deegan being linked with a move to Ulster.
This will happen as Leinster can't offer him a deal but sad bit is he has lost alot of bargaining power. Was offered moves to Ulster, Munster and Connacht in January but seemed happy to sit as a reserve in Leinster next season. Then was told no deal from Leinster. So you feel he has had bad advice on negotiating side that has cost him financially. Also now questions about his drive in that he was happy to sit around as a reserve and not want to drive on in his own career.
A very good player if you can get him rightly tuned in but the fear is it is a Jordi Murphy rerun.

Rumours are Ed Byrne is going north too. Ben Brownlee and Paddy McCarthy look likely to be coming to us. Leinster have supposedly been told to cut a few for optics after backlash of Jordie Barrett deal.

Leinster just agree to cut players because of bad optics over a 6 month contract? Yeah don't believe it.

Optics I doubt, wage bill I'd believe.

Paddy McCarthy another I'll see it when I believe it one. Brownlee and Soroka I'd well believe

Maybe but there is serious pressure.
I don't think it's the 6 months bit but more the financial side.

I see even Gerry Thornley hammering it home in the paper:
Irish players under national contracts in the 2024-25 season

Leinster
(10): Andrew Porter, Dan Sheehan, Tadhg Furlong, James Ryan, Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris, Jamison Gibson-Park, Robbie Henshaw, Garry Ringrose and Hugo Keenan.

Munster (1): Tadhg Beirne.

Connacht (1): Bundee Aki.
Ulster (1): Iain Henderson.

Leinster have been told if they want an NIQ THP then they got to clear funds. Nienaber feels that is vital so likes of McCarthy Brownlee and I still fully expect more names from the rumblings inside.
Frawley is being pushed out big time is the word on the 10 backlog.
David Humphreys will be definitely learning fast.

Leinster are well used to getting serious pressure from Nucifora and IRFU.

I'm sure Leo and Easterby will be able to manage it.

Last edited:
Leinster are well used to getting serious pressure from Nucifora and IRFU.

I'm sure Leo and Easterby will be able to manage it.
Yes but difference was Nucifora actually was supportive of Leinster. Humphreys is more about spreading it and IF Central Contracts are rebuilt in it actually would effect Leinster in a big way which is where the pressure is currently being applied.

Add in Leinster still haven't got their THP over the line and as was said by Nienaber himself this is the most vital area as it is where Leinster are probably most vulnerable. And if they don't get approval for that then it will hurt them slightly especially if Furlong got an injury.
Although logic would say if McCarthy is rated highly why not plunge him in at 18

I'd think you'd get rather funny reactions from UCD if you told them Nucifora was supportive of Leinster. They arent just going to roll over and let their squad be gutted, so I'll believe it when I see it, in other news its been strongly hinted by Marcus Ó Buachalla that there will be more positive contract news today for Leinster.

McCarthy has been playing loosehead all season, he looks far too skinny for tighthead. In fact he still looks skinny for loosehead, so he isnt ready for european rugby. I'd be happy enough to let Clarkson be backup TH, he has been excellent this season in the URC.

Last edited:
I'd think you'd get rather funny reactions from UCD if you told them Nucifora was supportive of Leinster. They arent just going to roll over and let their squad be gutted, so I'll believe it when I see it, in other news its been strongly hinted by Marcus Ó Buachalla that there will be more positive contract news today for Leinster.

McCarthy has been playing loosehead all season, he looks far too skinny for tighthead. In fact he still looks skinny for loosehead, so he isnt ready for european rugby. I'd be happy enough to let Clarkson be backup TH, he has been excellent this season in the URC.
The news today is probably JGP is getting a central contract. Upgraded from Provincial deal

Jack Boyle linked to everywhere. The provinces, and maybe some English clubs like Sale and Ex
??

Would be surprised if we were chasing him - we've already got three senior looseheads and England on at us to play Asher there too

??

Would be surprised if we were chasing him - we've already got three senior looseheads and England on at us to play Asher there too
Yeah I'd say it's just a case of him being linked everywhere

Jack Boyle linked to everywhere. The provinces, and maybe some English clubs like Sale and Ex
Irish signings haven't really worked for Exeter in recent times. Dunne and O'Brien might have looked like good signings on paper but haven't come close to hitting the heights of Steenson and Whitten.

Latest posts