• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

He is an average player and that is the problem with Munster. Their players around the 26-29 mark who should be hitting top form are all very average with the exception of Leamy and maybe Varley. Munster need to get rid of some of these straglers and promote young talent through. My main concerns are obviously tighthead but also the backrow and at 12. Touitupou may be a big 12 but his creativity sucks and that is stopping players like Howlett and Earls getting into spaces where they can become very dangerous.

Can say it is true we are looking at Ross and have been for bit. He is a Mallow man and I think he'd be very interested in a return and we need him alot more than Leinster do :).
On the Nagle scoop I said a few days ago that he is very close to signing a full contract and expect that to be announced soon. I believe that everything is agreed just waiting to get chance to sign dotted line. Also a few lads were called in and told they are free to find new clubs. These include Fogarty, Barry Murphy and I've been told that Ian Dowlings been considered

Interesting. Barry Murphy is a super talent but made of glass and Fogarty can't throw. Dowling is a shock though. Although hes a limited player I always liked his attitude. I suppose its time for a clearout of these type of players and promote the youth. Theres loads of players on development contracts and academy players might get promoted too.

Do you know any "rumours" of academy/B&I cup players being offered contracts?

The Irish Indo is saying Leinster are close to capturing Jamie Hagan with Mike Ross potentially moving to Munster.

If true, it's a great deal for Munster. Ross is an excellent scrummager, is from Munster and will hold up the weakest part of their team for two years. From Leinster's perspective, Hagan isn't yet on Ross' level but is improving rapidly, is from Leinster and he'll split time with a fit again Stan Wright. Leinster will be slightly weaker in the short term but stronger a year on. Munster will immediately improve. It's win-win for those provinces but a bitter pill for Connacht.

If Leinster sign Hagan to go with Cronin, I suspect Connacht will get anywhere from 3-6 prospects from Leinster in return.

It'd be a good move for Leinster. Ross has been excellent for us this season and I'd be sad to lose him. That said, he's only going to be around for about 2 or 3 more years. Hagan has the potential to exceed Ross' ability in the loose and the tight. He's a helluva lot younger too and with him, Healy, Strauss, Cronin and McGrath, Leinster's front row would look strong for the next seven or eight years. It's a trade off of immediate success for long term ambition. I'm okay with that and it would be nice to have our young lads come home and play for their native province.

It'd be a good move for Leinster. Ross has been excellent for us this season and I'd be sad to lose him. That said, he's only going to be around for about 2 or 3 more years. Hagan has the potential to exceed Ross' ability in the loose and the tight. He's a helluva lot younger too and with him, Healy, Strauss, Cronin and McGrath, Leinster's front row would look strong for the next seven or eight years. It's a trade off of immediate success for long term ambition. I'm okay with that and it would be nice to have our young lads come home and play for their native province.
Cian Healy and Jamie Hagan are 23, Heinke van der Merwe is 25, Richardt Strauss is 25 tomorrow, Jack McGrath (who was awesome in the last two A games) is 21 and Sean Cronin is 24. If Leinster can sign/hold onto that lot, they're well set in the front row for 7 or 8 years.

According to this:
http://www.espnscrum.com/celticleague-2010-11/rugby/story/132328.html
Hagan recently resigned for Connacht?
Connacht announced on their official site that Hagan re-signed for two years. He hadn't penned a contract though and this press release has now been removed. What seems to have happened is Hagan's agent alerted the press that Hagan didn't put pen to paper and London Irish were interested. When the Irish Indo reported that last week, Leinster picked up their interest.

Well was thinking the same and well IF Munster or Leinster win Europe this year and Connacht are in Heineken Cup wouldn't players like Dowling or Dogarty be super additions to them. They have massive European experience etc

Well was thinking the same and well IF Munster or Leinster win Europe this year and Connacht are in Heineken Cup wouldn't players like Dowling or Dogarty be super additions to them. They have massive European experience etc
No. Dowling is shite and Fogarty can't throw the ball straight.

Maybe but they've done a job for munster in past and Connacht don't exactly have a big or quality squad

USA Eagles backrower, Nic Johnson is off to Italy signing a contract with L'Aquila right at this moment.

He has captained USA amateur sides. A great player moving to Italy from Denver. Will be in the World Cup team and now has a chance to break back into the starting XV.

The USA will have their best ever team at a World Cup with more pro´s than ever before. The second and backrow and the back three are very impressive.

It's good to see players from tier 2 nations pick up pro contracts. Hopefully on the back of an impressive run with L'Aquila and a decent World Cup, Johnson will pick up a deal with a better club in a stronger league. He's never really impressed me before now, the Eagles player who I think has most going for him is Louis Stanfil.

It's good to see players from tier 2 nations pick up pro contracts. Hopefully on the back of an impressive run with L'Aquila and a decent World Cup, Johnson will pick up a deal with a better club in a stronger league. He's never really impressed me before now, the Eagles player who I think has most going for him is Louis Stanfil.

The USA Eagles side at France 2007 was a mixture of aged players and young guys. Todd Clever, Louis Stanfill, Mike Petri, Taku Ngwenya and Chris Wyles were all in their first World Cup. All these guys now play pro as do a number of other players who have come along since then like Seta Tuilevuka, John van der Giessen, Hayden Smith and now Nic Johnson. Hence, the team is now much more organized and will be able to play the next two World Cup´s without too many changes.

Its just a question of time before Stanfill and others move on to bigger clubs. Clever went to Japan to get fit more than anything. He wanted to train more than anything to get himself ready for the World Cup. He had offers to stay in Super Rugby and to play in Europe. Suntory have Eddie Jones as the coach which really influenced his decision. He is playing really well - scoring lots of tries.

Todd Clever: http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2011/01/todd-clever-looking-good-in-world-cup.html

My guess for the USA side to face Russia in New Plymouth is a side with only 3 USA based players (see below) which is far, far more than those from France 2007 or Australia 2003. This is interesting because the USA was considered vast improvers at these two RWC´s.

1 Mike MacDonald (Leeds Carnegie, England)
2 Phillip Thiel (Life University, USA)
3 Mate Moeakiola (Bobigny 93, France)
4 John van der Giessen (Bath, England)
5 Hayden Smith (Saracens, England)
6 Louis Stanfill (Mogliano, Italy)
7 Todd Clever (Suntory, Japan)
8 Inaki Basauri (L'aquila, Italy)

9 Mike Petri (Newport Gwent Dragons, Wales)
10 Nese Malifa (Glendale, USA)
11 Kevin Swiryn (Agen, France)
12 Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins, USA)
13 Seta Tuilevuka (Montpellier, France)
14 Takudzwa Ngwenya (Biarritz, France)
15 Chris Wyles (Saracens, England)

I can´t wait for UAS vs Russia. The North Americans should earn a lot of respect. They will be competitive in areas of the game against all sides. If Italy or Ireland think they have an easy match they are inn for a surprize. More so than that of Ireland vs Georgia from France 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
London Irish to announce tomorrow that Joe Ansbro has signed for them. :(

I presume wanting to play 13/Mapusua leaving/playing more wing at Saints is a factor in that?

Surprised at that as he is a superb player and Saints usually manage transfers smartly.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,9818_6721894,00.html

Warwick to Stade Francais

Stade Français have agreed a deal to sign full-back Paul Warwick from Munster at the end of the season.

The 29-year-old has agreed a two-year contract with the Parisians - and is the latest player to swap the Magners League for the Top 14.

Warwick, who won the Heineken Cup winners medal in 2008, joined Munster in 2007 from Connacht.

The former Australia Sevens international had been offered an extension in 2010, but Warwick announced in December he would be leaving.

Latest posts