• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF and HB Studios - Rugby 2012 update #1

Ahhh i know my word probably means nothing to producers but in this day and agee how everything looks is a huge part aswell as gameplayy there is nothing better than having awesome gameplay with eye watering details especaily with all the HD now so i say when creating a player go over the top beacause all fans want to be in their favourite team and all fans want to look good and thats done by a huge range of branded boots with tons and tons of colours and compression wear and head gears and totally customizable faces and more hairstyles !!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially one like quade coopers none of these i fell on my hair clippers ones urghh terrible hahahahaha but as i said probably means nothing but i am a part of the community and u guys asked for community opinions here is mine thnx :)

Last edited:
A PC version would be good. The only reason why i play PC, i because of the lack of console games for rugby.. and i can edit it myself, to add to the longetivity.

Rugby gaming just needs putting on a par with the other ***les i terms of online play, depth of gaming and it needs to cater to both a casual audience as well as the purists.

bit gutting EA are not on board. hopefully someone good with a big wallets gets in on the project. licenses would be excellent and make a big difference.

i think things like a be a pro mode and things like that are silly. even the idea of including 7s is stupid. it just isnt feasible. i think they should concentrate on making the best 15 aside game.

need to include super 14 and all the major competitions.

being able to edit stats like you can do on madden would be awesome - very helpful for keeping things up to date. also if people think ratings are too low or too high they can make players in the game to their opinions.

I remember on FIFA 98 (i think) it had a 5 a side version. It was awesome. If you got a bit bored of the game, you'd play that for a few days. It gave the game another dimension. 7's should be in the game. Also, things like 'Be a pro' should be there as well, because they are great for the games, whether you play it or not.

I remember on FIFA 98 (i think) it had a 5 a side version. It was awesome. If you got a bit bored of the game, you'd play that for a few days. It gave the game another dimension. 7's should be in the game. Also, things like 'Be a pro' should be there as well, because they are great for the games, whether you play it or not.

FIFA 98 world cup? I remember that. It was 5 a side indoor wasn't it? that game was legend in my books

They never did replicate that but it was awesome. I'm not so sure about the logistics of 7's though.

For 7's you would have to re-create a game engine for the game itself. I would like it but just think HB should concentrate on doing a pucker 15 man game.

If EA aren't publishing it then I would guess Codemasters...

On one hand it is disappointing EA have pulled their funding for the series. They obviously don't think it's a worthwhile investment and I'd assume this is why it has taken so long for another rugby game to take shape. While EA has been criticised in the past the latest Madden, NBA Live and FIFA games have been pretty top notch. Hopefully they still manage to lock down all the major licenses; Super 15, Four Nations, Six Nations, Heineken Cup, Guinness Premiership, Magners League, Top 14 and the World Cup are necessary. I believe a rugby game without this authenticity in today's market would be hard to enjoy.

The fact that they don't have the budget for a team dedicated to stats and the like is perfectly understandable. However having a quality system for editing is essential because this game will need a high replay value judging by the amount of time since the last one came out. Not only that, but let's face it, some of the stats and ratings in past games were truly horrible. The fact that HB mentioned that this community would be looked at to help with this kind of thing is great news, as I'd imagine there are quite a few members here who could do an excellent job in this regard.

Last edited:
everyone go and win the lotto and trf can fund licenses and stuff!

thanks for the Q&A, much appreciated. Really looking forward to when they release more info on the game.

p.s. how much of my lotto winnings would i need to donate if i won the $8million powerball?!

Really awsome to see you guyz working together. You guyz will do well to go on your own with this.
I recommend you approach the IRB (International Rugby Board) and get them to go in it with you.
They will have all player stats etc. Alternatively you could approach MTN and Vodacom (cellphone companies in South Africa).
They sponsor a lot of our rugby. EA Sports sucks anyway.

Really awsome to see you guyz working together. You guyz will do well to go on your own with this.
I recommend you approach the IRB (International Rugby Board) and get them to go in it with you.
They will have all player stats etc. Alternatively you could approach MTN and Vodacom (cellphone companies in South Africa).
They sponsor a lot of our rugby. EA Sports sucks anyway.

Let's not go down the bash EA road. It won't achieve anything.

does anyone have any idea who would take over instead of EA? licences are really essential i agree flat_eric. it needs that authenticity. the stats edit is a must as well - it would be so simple to do, they just need one identical to maddens.

it would be good if they put some money into player likeness as well - so facial people were accurate. having many different body types would be useful too, to help create aesthetic diversity .

i really think they should throw the idea of 7s out the window. it would just be pointless and a waste of money. the best 15 aside game possible is what they should focus on.

also something like a "highlight stick" would be extremely useful - like the one you see in madden. having different side steps and hand-offs etc would be excellent. you could have a standard side step, a stutter step, a goose step and so on. A GOOD DUMMY PASS IS CRUCIAL. the dummy pass in rugby 08 was very weak.

the drop goal mechanics need to be good as well. i quite liked the one in rugby 08. any other suggestions of how they could do this or improve on it?

I would be stoked with just having international licenses. Then unlicensed other comps that you can edit. Awesome game play which reproduces the real life game pretty well.

The breakdown needs to be sorted.

Kicking game wasn't too bad, just need to sort stats between really good kickers and the not so good.

Passing needs looking at, altho wasn't too far off, just the offload in a tackle situation got a bit out of hand sometimes.

Graphics will have to be up to good ps3 xbox360 standards otherwise people will be turned off by it.

Lineouts needs to be harder with more range of options too outwit the opposition.

Polish the backline moves up. They didn't really work well while playing another human, they would just blitz the line and cut off the move every time.

Fix the game between centre and wing on defense.

Don't care if you only had a few stadiums to choose from, jonah lomu rugby didn't have many. You are looking at the field 80% of the game.

I'm sure there is heaps of other improvements that need to be done, but would be just happy with the basics of rugby done right.

Good to see a light at the end of the tunnel for rugby games.

I think the most important thing is challenging and unpredictable AI. The AI in Rugby 08 and 06 offer no challenge, and in every situation everything is very predictable.

The AI needs to stop using the set moves (so easy to shut down) and be programmed to spread the ball dynamically.

If this is not possible I would like to see the inclusion of a defensive player lock, as forcing myself to control one player only on defence (no switching to cover breaks) was the only way to make it a good challenge.

Obviously Im talking about single player here.

Its highly likely though, that most of their budget will go on next gen visuals. We will have to wait and see.

Latest posts