• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF and HB Studios - Rugby 2012 update #1

i think this game will be kind of a stepping stone for rugby games in the future because they have to start again for this game to make it good.

I'd imagine that the publisher is something purely financial, promotion and support based, between the developer and the prospective publisher. It's not likely to make a big difference as HB Studios are working on design, programming and feature set themselves. A publisher is likely to just be looking at the game post-production to make sure it's going to firstly function efficiently and enjoyably as a game, fit their branding and most importantly likely to make a profit.

There's not really much of an angle for the average fan to take out of it.

i would like 2k sports to have a crack at this because they did a fantastic job of the nba games.

i think hb studios will make a lot of profit off this because it will be the only rugby game out in 4 years an people are going nuts for a game.

ea sports should have stayed the publisher of this game because if this game makes a big profit an ea sports will have lost a big investment

Keep the Rugby 08 engine, just change the graphics and of course put the online mode ! For a first game on new gen consoles it will be ok ! then it will let you one year more to make it a little bit better. Because even if the computer level is not than good, as we will play online most of the time, it won't be very disturbing !
Rugby 08 was really good to play, but that's true the difficulty level, and the lineout system could be changed a little, maybe on rugby 2013 ; -)=
Thanks HB for doing that game

Keep the Rugby 08 engine, just change the graphics and of course put the online mode ! For a first game on new gen consoles it will be ok ! then it will let you one year more to make it a little bit better. Because even if the computer level is not than good, as we will play online most of the time, it won't be very disturbing !
Rugby 08 was really good to play, but that's true the difficulty level, and the lineout system could be changed a little, maybe on rugby 2013 ; -)=
Thanks HB for doing that game

Best new post I've read for a long while. Someone who wants a good game, with a few significant improvements, but isn't asking for miracles from this first version. I'm with you on this DUMEUNDA, I just want a good solid first effort on the new consoles!

i very much agree with you two. i think the graphics an gameplay are the main things but i dnt think licencing will be an issue if there is an editor mode for teams an players
i spose depending on how well this games sell will depend how often it is released??

i very much agree with you two. i think the graphics an gameplay are the main things but i dnt think licencing will be an issue if there is an editor mode for teams an players
i spose depending on how well this games sell will depend how often it is released??

Oh yes, this has to sell very well. It's very important. I think people got complacent a bit with Rugby '04, '05 & '06 all coming out in the space of 3 and a bit years, then '08 came out and I think a lot of people said silly things to themselves about waiting for the next one on the next-gen consoles. It can't have sold well enough, because had it done really well we wouldn't have had such a time since that game.

If this is supported like it could be and they also sell some extra commentary DLC or classic player DLC, then it could be too profitable to leave for so long again.

Yeah licencing not a major issue for me either. I remember when I first started playing PES I got put off by the lack of licencing but the gameplay was so good I stuck to playing it. Haven't played a FIFA ***le since '07.

Thanks to Dan and HB Studio's for the Q&A, very informative.
Especially glad to see they want help with the stats, it's such a subjective side of game development, I think HB Studio's shouldn't put too much resources into it and should let the rugby community have a big say. We are after all the fans who have followed rugby for most of our lives. We have a large knowledge base of the sport that can be tapped. I believe HB Studio's can be somewhat of a pioneer if they go this route.

when will the next q & a be??

also will screens be released soon??

I'd like to be wrong, but probably not for some time yet. This game is in the very early stages of Pre-Production from all accounts and they'll no doubt have their hands full with other games too. Some of the HB team are on here looking at things from time to time. They are watching, it's just they've no doubt got a lot of planning to do. I wouldn't expect screens for quite some time yet. It's a bit like building a house, the plans need to be drawn up, permits sought, ground work and foundations must be also done first. Once there's something to show, I'm sure they'll keep us in the loop. :)

i remember seeing actual video of rugby 08 on here back in the day when Locksley was the man of the hour. it was still in the production phase and he was getting insider information and getting hands-on time with the game.. we were all drooling. i must've watched them videos a million times! haha

Last edited:
i remember seeing actual video of rugby 08 on here back in the day when Locksley was the man of the hour. it was still in the production phase and he was getting insider information and getting hands-on time with the game.. we were all drooling. i must've watched them videos a million times! haha

Sure he did 187, but the game was in post-production, judging by it only being a month or so prior to release. Right now is well before that stage. Who knows what might pop up as things progress, but I'll put down a solid bet that screens won't be here in April or May, and fair enough too, it's still early days. :) I'd hazard a guess that Locks would know a fair bit more, but I think he'd say something similar for now.

I'll be doing Q and A's on a regular basis. It all depends on how much new information is available and when.

im buzzing that there is a deffinatley going to be a rugby game, i did think that the series was over and that id have to keep on easily beating everyone on rugby 08. hopefully there will be online gaming and also more realistic play, and also cool accessories, like undershorts, undershirts, scrumcaps, gloves. hopefully the create a player customization is good also. just some ideas there :)
THANKS GLEN AND ALASTAIR

I'd like to be wrong, but probably not for some time yet. This game is in the very early stages of Pre-Production from all accounts and they'll no doubt have their hands full with other games too. Some of the HB team are on here looking at things from time to time. They are watching, it's just they've no doubt got a lot of planning to do. I wouldn't expect screens for quite some time yet. It's a bit like building a house, the plans need to be drawn up, permits sought, ground work and foundations must be also done first. Once there's something to show, I'm sure they'll keep us in the loop. :)

I think it's because it says on the main page of TRF:-

Details will be coming thick and fast in the coming weeks

I've just thought about something that shouldn't be difficult to put : a "create your tournament mode" where you can choose till 16 ou 32 teams, like that all the players who want "this cup" or" that championship" will be able to play it ! And then, you don't have to pay for all the licenses !!!

Latest posts