• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF and HB Studios - Rugby 2012 update #1

create a tournament is an excellent idea!!! would be so good to get a mix of super 14 and heineken cup teams

First time I've read it and apart from saying well done to yourself Dan, I find it an interesting read. The fact that they will be going mostly independent from EA gives scope for a wide range of features and engines etc. Maybe TRF could get itself seen in the game in ad boards around or on the pitch aswell.

Mostly it's exciting to see a Rugby Game that will be coming out and to see that the guys at HB are taking notice of the rugby-gaming community.

AJ: I'm really pleased we're associated with The Rugby Forum this year – you guys are part of what makes this such great experience for us – to see honest feedback from the people who are passionate about our games. I think you'd be surprised and pleased by how closely the threads have been followed over the years. Personally, I'm still waiting for a contender from the Northern Hemisphere to take on Gay-Guy so that a World Champion can be crowned.

Woohoo they metioned my name! I feel so special right now.....

...Craig I still owe your wife big time....thanks Amy that was a perfectly timed birth IMO. I have to think of an equally amazing plan to make you run home at the next tourney...maybe a lotto win lol!

Well done TRF...man this place looks so professional!

Last edited:
accesories would be nice like undershirts and more rugby boots. But the primary is the gameplay I believe.

there are a number of thigs i am concerned about:
Firstly with the licencing; i know a number of things willl concern people. These may be players names. team badges etc. Its all well and good that all the game play and stuff is good. But if your like me then the lack of names, correct nationality, positions really hacks you of.
I remember buying "rugby challange 2006" and although the europian teams were licenced, the southern hemishere teams were not. Even the SA, NZ and AUS national teams were all completely un licened an frankly ruined the game.
I just pray that this is not a problem, and even without EA they licence all the teams and compitions.
Secondly: I am really worried that they wont release it on to pc. would hate if they didnt and would really annoy me, as it just seens that the torrents would put them of releasing it.
Looking forward to any replies/remarks :)
Dan. x

The things i would like to see on the games is:
1.A manager mode which be like being munster (which hopefully has licenses)play in the magners leauge and in the heineken cup and if you do not finish in the top 3 irish teams you play in the challenge cup.

2.BETTER gameplay such as as the kicking game a prop cant kick a ball 60 yards so make that realistic in the game

Thats all i have for now good bye

p.s Thanks HB for making the rugby gaming community happy again

I reckon if HB focus on gameplay mechanics and create the option for players to edit stats and names themselves and provide the utility to create player faces, crests and jerseys, not only will the game benefit, but with all the modders here TRF would get a whole lot more traffic, which would potentially lead to more mods from new members and more interest in the game, which would potentially give HB a bigger budget to work with for future ***les.

there are a number of thigs i am concerned about:
Firstly with the licencing; i know a number of things willl concern people. These may be players names. team badges etc. Its all well and good that all the game play and stuff is good. But if your like me then the lack of names, correct nationality, positions really hacks you of.
I remember buying "rugby challange 2006" and although the europian teams were licenced, the southern hemishere teams were not. Even the SA, NZ and AUS national teams were all completely un licened an frankly ruined the game.
I just pray that this is not a problem, and even without EA they licence all the teams and compitions.
Secondly: I am really worried that they wont release it on to pc. would hate if they didnt and would really annoy me, as it just seens that the torrents would put them of releasing it.
Looking forward to any replies/remarks :)
Dan. x

TBH Gameplay is always paramount for me. I would never, ever choose to have all correct licences at the sacrifice of brilliant gameplay.

This reminds me of the situation between Fifa and PES probably around 5 or 6 years ago. PES had established itself streets ahead of Fifa in terms of gameplay, even though it lacked the official licences/names/kits that Fifa had. Anybody who actually played and understood football said that PES was a better game by a mile. It had an edit mode so you could change all the kits. names and tournaments to the real thing, so after a bit of work it was (unofficially) correct like Fifa and still about 100000 times better.

I always found Fifa players were kids who just enjoyed the official look of the game and didn't mind about the poor gameplay. They were happy to pay £40 every year for essentially the same bad game with updated kits and names.

"Ha, Roberto Carlos is called Roberto Larcos! That game is s**t!". Yeah, sure.

Sadly its them who have got the last laugh as now Fifa is brilliant and has all the licences, and PES is rubbish and has hardly any.

The point im trying to make is that you shouldn't be disheartened if the HB guys say they want to concentrate on gameplay instead of licences. Just make your feelings known about a comprehensive edit mode as im sure it wouldn't be too hard to include a good one. Then you can edit them or the modders on here can edit them and upload them on here for everyone to enjoy.

TBH Gameplay is always paramount for me. I would never, ever choose to have all correct licences at the sacrifice of brilliant gameplay.

This reminds me of the situation between Fifa and PES probably around 5 or 6 years ago. PES had established itself streets ahead of Fifa in terms of gameplay, even though it lacked the official licences/names/kits that Fifa had. Anybody who actually played and understood football said that PES was a better game by a mile. It had an edit mode so you could change all the kits. names and tournaments to the real thing, so after a bit of work it was (unofficially) correct like Fifa and still about 100000 times better.

I always found Fifa players were kids who just enjoyed the official look of the game and didn't mind about the poor gameplay. They were happy to pay £40 every year for essentially the same bad game with updated kits and names.

"Ha, Roberto Carlos is called Roberto Larcos! That game is s**t!". Yeah, sure.

Sadly its them who have got the last laugh as now Fifa is brilliant and has all the licences, and PES is rubbish and has hardly any.

The point im trying to make is that you shouldn't be disheartened if the HB guys say they want to concentrate on gameplay instead of licences. Just make your feelings known about a comprehensive edit mode as im sure it wouldn't be too hard to include a good one. Then you can edit them or the modders on here can edit them and upload them on here for everyone to enjoy.

Very solid post. Can totally agree with that.

i think a solid editor mode is a must have any way weither there are licences or not.

bt i agree about having awesome gamplay than having no licence. i wouldnt mind spending a bit of time renaming teams an players. just have to print the teams off the internet an you will be away. not that hard

But are you ready to draw the official jerseys and logos by hand on a console editor ? Release it and we will mod it later is a very PC attitude. Consoles are very restricted about modding.

PES has some licenses and known players on the box. PES has also a greater modder community, and is one the most pirated game ever. Now if you talk about buyer strategy and want this game to be a success, keep in mind that most players don't lruk the rugby forum and won't mod the game in any way. You can insult them all you want , they deserve the right to play with licenses to.

A stadium design is also copyrighted and must be licensed, are you ready to play at generic irish stadium #2 every match ?

Licenses, official teams, jerseys, faces and stadiums are a must for me. I just need the atmosphere.

Names are just names and can be edited easily, but everything else will be a painful to mod on a console, unless HB allows for an easy way to import/export databases, faces, jerseys, logos (Via USB stick on PS3, I don't see any other easy solution).

And why gameplay or licenses ? I want both :)

Last edited:
both gameplay and licenses would be excellent and a real bonus. hb studios are doing a great job focusing on gameplay and communicating with gamers regularly but lets hope they can pick up a good publisher so they can fork out the money for licences!!!

create a set piece would be a cool edition. things like dummy runners and picking your angles would be great. throw in a few dummy switches and miss passes etc as well.

even if they couldnt get all the licenses would be good to see some in there!

But are you ready to draw the official jerseys and logos by hand on a console editor ? Release it and we will mod it later is a very PC attitude. Consoles are very restricted about modding.

PES has some licenses and known players on the box. PES has also a greater modder community, and is one the most pirated game ever. Now if you talk about buyer strategy and want this game to be a success, keep in mind that most players don't lruk the rugby forum and won't mod the game in any way. You can insult them all you want , they deserve the right to play with licenses to.

A stadium design is also copyrighted and must be licensed, are you ready to play at generic irish stadium #2 every match ?

Licenses, official teams, jerseys, faces and stadiums are a must for me. I just need the atmosphere.

Names are just names and can be edited easily, but everything else will be a painful to mod on a console, unless HB allows for an easy way to import/export databases, faces, jerseys, logos (Via USB stick on PS3, I don't see any other easy solution).

And why gameplay or licenses ? I want both :)

Its not a very PC attitude because back in 2003 when I was playing PES I could edit all the kits until they were nigh on perfect. Consoles nowadays all have USB sticks and allow for importing of image files. The most recent PES's have this feature meaning you can upload jpeg images of badges, sponsors etc to your hearts content and make a kit which is as good as the Fifa ones.

I personally get a fair bit of satisfaction in editing the games. It feels like I have put a personal touch onto it. There is always going to be things that the makers get wrong, omit or slightly different to what you think so a good edit mode just makes so much sense. Then it leaves them more times to concentrate on the gameplay and then licencing when/if all that is finshed.

we are all just going to wait untill they release info on the publishers & licences ect...
i would say we wont see screens until early next year and i think we wont find out what is in the game til late next year.
so its all pretty much a waiting game

i would say we wont see screens until early next year and i think we wont find out what is in the game til late next year.

I hope not, I thought the game was due out next summer (2011!)

Re licences, whilst I would love to see The Championship licenced, that isn't going to happen, so I would settle for as many as possible of the world's top-16 countries to be fully licenced, and the club game served by a good edit mode.

One more thing - will the finished game actually be known as Rugby 2012 (maybe EA would have something to say about that)?

Latest posts