• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

TRF Fellowship of the Ring

You know during the shooting of LOTR, Bean's fear of flying became a bit of an issue. Refusing to use helicopters, he'd get a ski lift as far as it went up the mountains then hiked up in his Boromir gear to join the rest of the crew. Ledgebag.

Also, If a big bunch of guys with pikes surrounded me and wouldn't let me leave I couldn't see myself being very happy either.

What horrifically poor tactics a pike push was... surely the idea is to stab the opponent as opposed to pushing him a little bit back? Don't know anything about the civil war period however.. but a shortsword or a seaxe that would have been used in the shield walls of the early middle ages would be infinitely more effective in such a tight situation ?

What horrifically poor tactics a pike push was... surely the idea is to stab the opponent as opposed to pushing him a little bit back? Don't know anything about the civil war period however.. but a shortsword or a seaxe that would have been used in the shield walls of the early middle ages would be infinitely more effective in such a tight situation ?

Pike Pushes are the self-indulgent sport of Re-enacters. They didn't do pushes in the real wars - A pikemans pike is 16ft long deliberately so they didn't ever get near anyone!

Pike Pushes are the bullshit sport Tie Kwan Do of Re-enactment. They didn't happen in the real wars!

That is good :p as I am sure that the pointy side of a pike should be facing the enemy... staring down the business end of masses of pikes is considerable more intimidating than being smashed by a beer gut

You haven't seen some of the faces on top of them beer guts - They even make Cardiff women look scary!

That is good :p as I am sure that the pointy side of a pike should be facing the enemy... staring down the business end of masses of pikes is considerable more intimidating than being smashed by a beer gut

Which leads us neatly back to the topic at hand:

Not if you're Gandalf the White/Eomer (who is a badass):
73158551_2c8926b6d7_o.jpg

Which leads us neatly back to the topic at hand:

Not if you're Gandalf the White/Eomer (who is a badass):
73158551_2c8926b6d7_o.jpg
Yup ...for anybody except those wonderful Rohirrim a cavalry charge against pike men is like practicing Russian roulette with a fully loaded six shooter

A ton of Spanish horse vs a 16 stone pikeman with a pointy stick. My money is on the horse.

In most cases a cavalry charge vs a well drilled force of pikemen is suicide.... of course there are the odd exception where a badly trained or inexperienced squad of pikemen would bottle it , but a horse no more wants to run into a solid wall of pikes 2-3 ranks deep than the rider does

Funny story about the first time I saw and was amazed by the LOTR. It must have been the 1st because my younger brother was about 3. Anywayz it was during one of the battles and me(about 5) and me sis(bout 8) were scared out of our minds trying to work up the courage to open our eyes and face the terrifying orchs. While this was going on my brother, sitting on my dads knee because he couldn't see over the chair in front even on the booster seat spent the whole battle shouting ''Kill 'em, Kill 'em'' at the top of his three year old voice.

Funny story about the first time I saw and was amazed by the LOTR. It must have been the 1st because my younger brother was about 3. Anywayz it was during one of the battles and me(about 5) and me sis(bout 8) were scared out of our minds trying to work up the courage to open our eyes and face the terrifying orchs. While this was going on my brother, sitting on my dads knee because he couldn't see over the chair in front even on the booster seat spent the whole battle shouting ''Kill 'em, Kill 'em'' at the top of his three year old voice.
Oh hello.

All I really remember about LOTR is why the hell didn't they just use those flying eagles to fly over the volcano and just drop the ring in it?
Because SHUT UP, that's why! :lol:

Just for that you can be Bill, the knackered old pony

Latest posts