[TRF World XV] Number 8 - Round 1

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by ImScotty, Apr 13, 2014.

?

[TRF World XV] Number 8

Poll closed Apr 18, 2014.
  1. Kieran Read (NZL)

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Sergio Parisse (ITA)

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. Louis Picamoles (FRA)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ben Mowen (AUS)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. David Denton (SCO)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Taulupe Faletau (WAL)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Jamie Heaslip (IRL)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Billy Vunipola (ENG)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Duane Vermeulen (RSA)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Ben Morgan (ENG)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. j'nuh

j'nuh First XV

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

Gloucester

Maybe I'm being extra harsh because I have a tendency to be with England players (except Corbisiero and Launchbury, who are exceptional), but I don't think either of Vunipola or Morgan particularly deserve nominations.

Vunipola is destructive in the carry, but I don't think he has any other traits that are particularly above the average international standard, and some that are perhaps below the average. I suppose it could be argued that carrying is the most important role of an 8 and doing this well stands a player in good stead, however I'm not sure it is enough to be in the running for the best player in the world.

Morgan, on the other hand, is losing a selection battle with Gareth Evans at Gloucester. tbf, Evans is having a good season, but the world's best player should probably be at least the obvious first starter for their club. Morgan does play better for country... kind of. He's had a mixed record for England since his debut. As far as this season goes, he's played pretty well for England, but I don't think it has been of a standard to be amongst the best.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!