• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: All Blacks - Wallabies @ Eden Park (06-08-2011, 08:35 GMT)

Erm... I still see "Tri Nations: All Blacks - Springboks @ Westpac Stadium (30-07-2011, 07:35 GMT)" as ***le...
:)

Anyway...
I hope for a Wallabies win, but... well... same old story, I think All Blacks by 7-15.

:(

Fixed now! Sorry for the mistake. Was doing a lot at the same time tonight.

Have to say I don't really like the look of the AB's wings - not the players individually, but rather the combination. I think the AB's tactic of picking a second fullback on the right wing has been very successful - though Sivivatu does at times display some good fullback skills, he is at his best when he is free to roam around. Sivivatu has never impressed me when he has played on the right wing either. I do understand why they are starting Sivivatu and Gear, I just worry the the AB's may be a bit exposed out wide defensively. I'm also a bit worried about the lack of fullback cover in the team - if Muliaina suffers and early injury we will likely see Slade at fullback (or SBW at 12, Nonu on the wing, Sivivatu at fullback...). While I'm sure Slade could do a adequate job, when we get Toeava back in the squad I will feel a lot more comfortable!

Going with AUS to win.... it will be close and I do think that NZ will win, but I get a better payout with AUS.

Sivivatu, who is in trouble (he lost his pace, weak under the high ball...) with Hosea Gear, who comes back from an injury...well...what a combo.
No Cory Jane, one of the best ABs last week-end, Whitelock on the bench (while Williams should have been on the bench, because he looks tired)...I'm disappointed but I hope Henry knows what he does.

Sivivatu has a superb game against Fiji (Graham Henry suggested he was the best player on the park in the first half, which I agree with). If he can continue that sort of form I'd be happy to have him in the RWC squad, as he's a proven match-winner in international rugby. However I do worry a lot about his 'passive' defense - he often puts himself in great positions to make tackles, but seemed to fall off a large percentage of them during the Super Rugby season. The fact that he can't seem to go through a week without getting injured worries me too...

ALL BLACKS team: Mils Muliaina, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Hosea Gear, Dan Carter, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw, Jerome Kaino, Brad Thorn, Ali Williams, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett.
Reserves:
Andrew Hore, Ben Franks, Sam Whitelock, Adam Thomson, Andy Ellis, Colin Slade, Sonny Bill Williams.

I'm still don't like SBW on the bench, but I suppose they need to give him gametime, and the 'utility' backs (Toeava, Kahui) are still recovering from injury (maybe they should have given Ben Smith another go :D)

Let's be fair though it was only Fiji.. Jane and Guildford had a much better games against a better outfit. The sooner Dagg is fit again the better, Sivi is slow and past his best. Why Ali Williams keeps getting picked is beyond me too, he hasn't outplayed his locking partner in either game yet gets chosen above both of them for this one. If Ioane smokes Sivi or runs through him I'll be giving it the "I told you so" to the TV, just like I was when Donald lost us the game in HK.

Australia: Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digb Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia,Ben McCalman, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom (capt), James Horwill, Rob Simmons, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu. Reserves: Saia Fainga'a, Pekahou Cowan, Dan Vickerman, Scott Higginbotham, Luke Burgess, Anthony Fainga'a, Lachie Turner.

Unchanged starting XV for the Wallabies, and only 3 changes to the bench, with Vickermann, Burgess, and Turner replacing Sharpe, Phipps, and Hodgson respectively. Interesting to see the Wallabies have gone with the more traditional 4/3 split on the bench this week.

Interesting choice of wingers in the AB side ... it seems that the selectors are sending a clear message to the outside backs, and that message is "If you can't cover the full back or centre position, you better be able to play on both wings"

... I am a little nervous about Sivivatu on the right wing, particularly with no wing cover on the bench, but I guess if we want to find out if he can play there, it's better to find out now, than in the World Cup.

It might be a ploy to get Cooper to kick to his wing, so the back 3 can run it back at them :D

Wings and bench selections are confusing for AB's..

What continues to amaze me is that someone like McCabe, who would not have any sort of chance to make the AB's, won't be a liability for the Wallabies. I actually think he plays well for them. I guess that's the luxury when the rest of the backline are all play makers who can create. Beale, JoC, Genia and also the house burgler do worry me a bit, they can all create from nothing. Our defence better be on its game or we could get burnt.

Could well see Nonu heading for the wing then in this game.

Going to be interesting to see the razzle dazzle of Cooper against a every improving All Blacks side.

Still thinks Sonny will bring his boy's to the yard when he comes on.

side pretty much as expected

Strong side though this is going to be a real test for Both Gear and Sivivatu, it's very much a trial game for those two, if this was a must win game I think they would have gone with Guildford & Jane.

Having Sivi & Gear does put a questionmark over the AB's backs and makes it look somewhat experimental but the forwards look strong, too strong for Aussie I think.

AB's to win, hope so tickets were $140 each >.<

Yeah the wingers do look a little weaker defensively this week. But I think it's the ideal test for those two guys who are probably on the outer a little more than Jane and Guildford after their performances last week. I still think the combo of Gear and Jane is the best option, but we'll see what happens I suppose.

Will also be interesting to see the impact the returning forwards make, the four returning (Read, Thorn, Franks and Mealamu) add quite a bit of power to the forward pack, and the scrum in particular where I think the AB's could dominate potentially.

Yeah the wingers do look a little weaker defensively this week. But I think it's the ideal test for those two guys who are probably on the outer a little more than Jane and Guildford after their performances last week. I still think the combo of Gear and Jane is the best option, but we'll see what happens I suppose.

Will also be interesting to see the impact the returning forwards make, the four returning (Read, Thorn, Franks and Mealamu) add quite a bit of power to the forward pack, and the scrum in particular where I think the AB's could dominate potentially.

Agreed. The thing is, with a Gear + Sivivatu combo, you have two wingers with a very good running game, but not as good a technical game. If one looks bad the other will probably look bad. It would have been better for both their chances if they were paired with a more solid winger like Jane and Guildford, who play a more consistant game. What I suspect is, they will take one of either Guildford or Jane and Gear or Sivivatu, so they are pretty much trialing them against each other.

A lot of people talking about the talent of the Wallabies backline and assuming the forwards will be outdone - that suits us fine. Watch out for a forward ambush as the Wallabies know this is the key to winning this game. Pockock and Elsom to bring their "A" games and get stuck right in to their opposites. Horwill and Simmons will more than match Thorne and Williams just like in the last super games and Kepu and Moore will have their day in the sun. Snippets coming out of the Wallabies training camp is that 80% of the drill, focus and strategy has been with the forwards.

For the ABs their selections of Sivi and Gear are a weakness as is Cowan at this level against top 5 teams....and if anything happens to Carter.... as the anthem goes ...." God defend New Zealand....."

A lot of people talking about the talent of the Wallabies backline and assuming the forwards will be outdone - that suits us fine. Watch out for a forward ambush as the Wallabies know this is the key to winning this game. Pockock and Elsom to bring their "A" games and get stuck right in to their opposites. Horwill and Simmons will more than match Thorne and Williams just like in the last super games and Kepu and Moore will have their day in the sun. Snippets coming out of the Wallabies training camp is that 80% of the drill, focus and strategy has been with the forwards.

For the ABs their selections of Sivi and Gear are a weakness as is Cowan at this level against top 5 teams....and if anything happens to Carter.... as the anthem goes ...." God defend New Zealand....."

I don't think Elsom brining his A game is particularly threatening...

I think we'd cover better if Carter got injured than you if Cooper got injured.

I'm a little disappointed that the Wallabies have stuck with Elsom (though he was never going to get dropped as captain - he also wasn't 100% bad last week) and McCabe (would've rather had Fainga'a)
Still, a strong team - Strong enough to turn over the All Blacks? Maybe if it were in Australia, can't see them getting the win away from though
Would love to be proven wrong however :p

Elsom's A game = Kaino's C game. Elsom should never have left Super Rugby (Just ask McAlister)

I'm not so sure about Sivivatu although he has in the past pulled out big games before. It's been a long time between drinks.

Looks to be some wind and rain forecast. Take your Brolly.

And some hankies for the Aussies.

At least they can use the rain as cover for the tears.

Elsom's A game = top three blindesides in the world.

Unfortunately he left it in Dublin. Quick someone book him a flight.

Elsom's A game = top three blindesides in the world.

Unfortunately he left it in Dublin. Quick someone book him a flight.

It really is odd that in his two(?) years back he hasn't even shown glimpses of how good he was for Leinster. Don't know what the problem is...

With all the talk centring around Cooper and Genia, our old mate Digby has managed to fly under the radar. However, he has not gone unnoticed by Ted and and his tacticians. Interesting article this morning from the Daily Telegraph.

[TEXTAREA]Kiwis hope Digby is out of step

ALL Blacks coach Graham Henry has seen plenty of Digby Ioane on his TV screen recently.
"Digby is a bloody good player, I enjoy watching him play and I like his break dancing thrills at the end," Henry said with his trademark smirk.
"My son videos those and tries to bring those into his routine."
But while Henry's son Matthew may be focused on the turtle spin, it appears Henry - and his players - have been far more interested in footage of another new development in the Ioane play list: defending at five-eighth.
The pacy Queensland winger was stationed there in the place of Quade Cooper against the Springboks a fortnight ago, with the Wallabies No.10 standing at fullback or wing in defence.
It was the same game plan the Reds used successfully in their Super Rugby ***le season, but represented a big tactical shift for coach Robbie Deans after insisting Cooper defend in the front line for the last two seasons.

With Ioane tackling like a demon, it worked well against the predictable Springboks but the All Blacks were cagey enough yesterday to indicate they've studied the zone well and will test the winger's decision making with more guile.
When asked about the tactic, Henry joked: "Is that right? I must have a look at the tape" before admitting it was an area of opportunity. "It could be. He has to make different decisions there to on the wing.
"He's an interesting character and a bloody good player, so he can probably adapt to that."
Powerful centre Ma'a Nonu also heaped praise on Ioane's fitness.
"I think Digby did well last week. He made the most tackles in the backs. He made 17 tackles, and for a blindside winger that's a lot of tackles," Nonu said.

When asked if he'd been studying the stats, a sheepish Nonu said: "It was in the paper. It's what you guys write. It was on a billboard yesterday. Couldn't miss it."
Though backing Cooper's improved defence, Deans said moving Ioane was motivation to keep the No.10 in a role he was familiar - and successful - with for the Reds.
Cooper attacking from the back is a proven asset but defending heavily against big forwards has the potential to tire Ioane and dampen down his attacking threats.
Deans said that it wasn't a concern and, if anything, it gets him more involved.
Henry may get to see some of Ioane's dance moves at home but as far as he's concerned, his team should put up a "no dancing" sign at Eden Park.
"I don't want to see him dancing at all this weekend. He can save that for Durban," Henry said.

[/TEXTAREA]

Latest posts