TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
I see WP just appointed Ebrahim Rasool as the chairperson.

Which IMHO could be the final nail in the coffin of the union especially with all the other troubles regarding finances and so on.

I get that he was the ANC treasurer. But my worry is that was the ANC treasurer...

I see WP just appointed Ebrahim Rasool as the chairperson.

Which IMHO could be the final nail in the coffin of the union especially with all the other troubles regarding finances and so on.

I get that he was the ANC treasurer. But my worry is that was the ANC treasurer...
Yes, he will bring a ton of experience to the party. I am sure you will struggle to find someone as adapt at syphoning funds elsewhere in the country. A very astute appointment by Marais to ensure they cover themselves whilst plundering the WPRU coffers.

Those were both insightful comments, which I appreciate. I like it when fan's voice their opinions when something's wrong, in this case corruption. But I'm sorry it's happening.

Those were both insightful comments, which I appreciate. I like it when fan's voice their opinions when something's wrong, in this case corruption. But I'm sorry it's happening.
Sad thing is nothing will happen here. the appointments were all made in a legitimate vote. Its just our bad luck the majority of those in position to cast votes are themselves corrupt and will personally benefit. On top of that, the corruption at WPRU is nothing compared to corruption elsewhere (like SAs emergency loan from the IMF to help bolster "our economy" - code for the pockets of the politically well connected disappearing along the cracks) so there will be little to no real outcry. We've seen that nothing happens with the EPRU going broke through "mismanagement" and nothing coming of it. While WPRU is more entrenched and a bit more difficult to sink I do not underestimate the greed of these cronies.

So we have all heard of the news of the American consortium, looking to buy a controlling stake in WP. So WP has stalled, because their notoriously corrupt and indecisive members/board could not agree. The Americans wanted to invest after seeing Kolisi lifting the world cup and thought hey let's go buy that team.

Now it seems they have moved their sight to Durban, they have been see in meetings with current Sharks CEO Eduard Coetzee. The guy leading the negotiations Mr. Mazotti for the American consortium was born in Amanzimtoti so makes sense that they now want to look at the Sharks.

I don't know how I feel about private equity in rugby. Specifically I don't want them to make money with the union and siphon it out to their consortium. They can bleed us dry. But yea anyway now it seems that if the deal goes though then Kolisi will be signed by the Sharks. Because they want Kolisi in their team and the Stormers players are apparently unhappy because the board threw away their chance at financial security. Rapport alleges that a majority of WP players are now refusing to sign new contracts while they wait for a result with the takeover talks.

The Kolisi rumours seem to have some merit to them as it was pointed out to WP coach Dobson, and he said he went to speak to Kolisi about the Sharks rumours. Kolisi replied, let's not talk about this now coach, let's focus on the weekend for now then we talk. That was Dobson's words paraphrased. So even he thinks there is something going on.

So we have all heard of the news of the American consortium, looking to buy a controlling stake in WP. So WP has stalled, because their notoriously corrupt and indecisive members/board could not agree. The Americans wanted to invest after seeing Kolisi lifting the world cup and thought hey let's go buy that team.

Now it seems they have moved their sight to Durban, they have been see in meetings with current Sharks CEO Eduard Coetzee. The guy leading the negotiations Mr. Mazotti for the American consortium was born in Amanzimtoti so makes sense that they now want to look at the Sharks.

I don't know how I feel about private equity in rugby. Specifically I don't want them to make money with the union and siphon it out to their consortium. They can bleed us dry. But yea anyway now it seems that if the deal goes though then Kolisi will be signed by the Sharks. Because they want Kolisi in their team and the Stormers players are apparently unhappy because the board threw away their chance at financial security. Rapport alleges that a majority of WP players are now refusing to sign new contracts while they wait for a result with the takeover talks.

The Kolisi rumours seem to have some merit to them as it was pointed out to WP coach Dobson, and he said he went to speak to Kolisi about the Sharks rumours. Kolisi replied, let's not talk about this now coach, let's focus on the weekend for now then we talk. That was Dobson's words paraphrased. So even he thinks there is something going on.
I think it's a double edged sword with regards to privatisation. It could either bleed you dry, or vastly improve the team. We see it in Premier League Football.

I do think that teams should be hesitant with getting foreign investors though, as they might not be as rugby orientated as the team should be.

Look at how the Bulls have improved since Rupert & Motsepe got on board, we have a world class coach, great structures, happy players and a winning team.

But it's because Mr. Rupert is rugby-mad and Motsepe in general, is a sports fan too.

At this point in time I feel privatization would be good for WPRU and EPRU simply due to the lack of competence and passion from our administrators. IE I just can;t see a private entity being less interested in the welfare of its investment than what the boards of these unions are. At least, that is my perception.

Latest posts