• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U20 World Trophy Scotland relegated from 2024?

Graaf

Academy Player
Scotland autoqualified for 2023 as the relegated team from World Rugby u20 Championship 2019, but today they lost to Uruguay and cannot win the Trophy.

I cannot see how they can get back in for 2024? As Rugby Europe only get one spot and this is reserved for the winner of the Rugby Europe u20 Championship 2024. But this competition is mos already filled, so will Scotland be required to start next year in the lower divisions? Except if World Rugby make them hosts for next year u20 Rugby Trophy or expand to more teams?

Can anyone shed some light please.

Scotland autoqualified for 2023 as the relegated team from World Rugby u20 Championship 2019, but today they lost to Uruguay and cannot win the Trophy.

I cannot see how they can get back in for 2024? As Rugby Europe only get one spot and this is reserved for the winner of the Rugby Europe u20 Championship 2024. But this competition is mos already filled, so will Scotland be required to start next year in the lower divisions? Except if World Rugby make them hosts for next year u20 Rugby Trophy or expand to more teams?

Can anyone shed some light please.
Good question and a headache for WR. As ever, it'll be a decision which is most beneficial to the Tier1 union whilst limiting the political embarassment to World Rugby.

I think they will wait to see if Uruguay beat Spain in the trophy final (probably the worst case scenario for WR). If Spain win then I think the most simple solution is Spain join Georgia in missing the Rugby Europe u20 and Scotland taking their place. Although World Rugby will hate the idea of a Tier1 union having to rub shoulders with Rugby Europe in a merit based qualification, regional qualification tournament. That just ain't 'rugby values' now, is it?

However, if Uruguay win we are probably looking at the options you suggest (Scotland hosts or expanded u20 tournaments). In terms of the options, from least to most poltiically embarassing I'd say:

- get an agreement with Rugby Europe to parachute in Scotland to the 2024 u20 Rugby Europe and replace an existing participant.
- expand the u20 World Championship to 16 teams (to include Scotland as a top4 from the u20 Trophy)
- make Scotland hosts of the next u20 Trophy (my prediction)
- add an extra European slot for the u20 Trophy and somehow give this to Scotland.
- change qualification rules for the u20 so they are more like the RWC. Say, auto-qualfication of you finished in the top two of your group last time.
- replace the u20 World Championship with a 6N/SANZAAR invitational tournament like the World League (nuclear option)

If Japan had beaten Italy and relegated them to the trophy we'd probably have been looking at the nuclear option (as 3x Euro teams for 1x Trophy slot). As it is, I think WR can navigate their way around this and give Scotland another year to get their act together.

So with Spain being promoted to the u20 WC, the most common sense (and fair) thing would be for Scotland to swap into the Rugby Europe u20 and replace Spain. Spain do not need to participate to qualify for the Trophy so may be happy to step out of it (like Georgia did).

The Dutch only lost 13--9 to Spain in the final so in theory could give Scotland a bit of a game. Scotland have introduced a u20 team into their Super Series domestic league. This will essentially be their Scotland based u20 players. This should massively assist the u20 national side in the short term (although I do not think it is good for their domestic league in the short term).

There are indications the Rugby Europe u20s could be as early as the end of September 2023.

Unconfirmed opinion from South America that they expect the u20 World Championship to be expanded from 12 to 16.

If confirmed, this would just coincidentally enough likely permit Scotland to magically reappear in the tournament despite failing to be promoted to it.

Latest posts