• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ulster v Cardiff Blues

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Ulster.png
Cardiff.png

Ulster v Cardiff Blues</div>

Dai Young's side travel to Belfast full of confidence following their demolition job of Gloucester at Twickenham but there's plenty for them to play for in the league with their HEC qualification not yet assured.

It's turning into a ding dong battle between them the Scarlets and the Dragons and depending on results this weekend we could be left with a situation where all 3 sides are tied on 30 points.

Ulster may have been fortunate to get away with the win last week but more often than not in that type of scenario they've come away with defeat so whether they can kick on again and finish the season strongly remains to be seen. A win will guarantee their HEC participation as well.

Hard to call given that the Blues will have their eye on next weekend's match against Leicester so possibly a good chance for Ulster under those circumstances

"Lions picks Leigh Halfpenny, Martyn Williams, Jamie Roberts, Tom Shanklin and Gethin Jenkins all sit out.

Full-back Ben Blair, fellow New Zealanders Xavier Rush and Paul ***o, plus back-row Maama Molitika, fly-half Nick Robinson, wing Tom James, lock Bradley Davies, hooker Gareth Williams and prop Faao Filise are also rested. "

Source

Good opportunity to sneak a win and get HEC spot assured, would be nice to win our last game at Ravenhill this seasoon aswell.

Understandable really they all got a good run out last weekend so they won't exactly be stale come Sunday week.

Cardiff Blues:

15 James Loxton, 14 Richard Mustoe, 13 Jamie Robinson, 12 Gareth Thomas, 11 Chris Czekaj, 10 Ceri Sweeney, 9 Richie Rees, 8 Andy Powell, 7 Robin Sowden Tayor ©, 6 Sam Warburton, 5 Scott Morgan, 4 Deiniol Jones, 3 John Yapp, 2 T Rhys Thomas, 1 Rhys Gill

Replacements:

16 Scott Andrews, 17 Ross Jonhson, 18 James Down, 19 Ben White, 20 Darren Allinson, 21 Dai Flanagan, 22 Ryan Howells

A very depleted squad out there tonight. This is looking like Cardiff's 2nd/3rds playing Ulsters 1sts. Ulster should be looking for the bonus point.

James Loxton fresh from the blues academy, will be good to see how he fares tonight. Andy Powell is also due a big game.

I agree, Ferris will be looking for a big game. His opposite number is Warburton. Who seems one for the future but I am worried about him up against Ferris.

The other match up im worried about is Rhys Gill and Botha. The front row may struggle tonight...

11-6 to the Blues at HT, given the relative strength of the 2 sides I wouldn't have expected this scoreline from Ravenhill.

Nope, lads look like their going to throw it away, im shocked to my very core.

well they've cut the lead to 2 with an O'Connor penalty, that's a start at least.

this one over yet? it kicked off before the munster - scarlets match (finished 5 mins ago) but still hasn't come up with the final score on the BBC.

EDIT: Yupp t's come up now - Ulster 9 - 11 Blues

suberb result for such a young team, nice to see Warburton getting a game, and the acadamy player Loxton scoring a try. How does that put the Blues' qualifacations for the HEC?
I thought the EDF qualified you for teh Heineken anyway though?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Apr 24 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
this one over yet? it kicked off before the munster - scarlets match (finished 5 mins ago) but still hasn't come up with the final score on the BBC.

EDIT: Yupp t's come up now - Ulster 9 - 11 Blues

suberb result for such a young team, nice to see Warburton getting a game, and the acadamy player Loxton scoring a try. How does that put the Blues' qualifacations for the HEC?
I thought the EDF qualified you for teh Heineken anyway though?[/b]

I think the EDF only qualifies an English winner.

HEC not yet guaranteed, a bp win for the Dragons will see all 3 sides on 30 points. Mightn't be as easy as it should be with a crucial game against the Dragons coming the Wednesday after the Leicester game and regardless of the result in that match it'll still be hard for the Blues to get up for that match but at least they'll have a week to recover for the Scarlets game and having both matches at home helps the cause.

Fantastic result for such a team who rarely play together and has a fair few of youngsters in. Glad Loxton got on the scoresheet. Looking forward to seeing the highlights on Scrum V this saturday!

Im not overly worried about HEC qualification. Lots of home games to go, two of which are against two of the welsh team that we can get above.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Apr 24 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Fantastic result for such a team who rarely play together and has a fair few of youngsters in. Glad Loxton got on the scoresheet. Looking forward to seeing the highlights on Scrum V this saturday!

Im not overly worried about HEC qualification. Lots of home games to go, two of which are against two of the welsh team that we can get above.[/b]

Very true, and if we end up having to play a playoff against an Italian team, we should be more than cabable of beating them, even without the 6 Lions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Apr 24 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Apr 24 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im not overly worried about HEC qualification. Lots of home games to go, two of which are against two of the welsh team that we can get above.[/b]

Very true, and if we end up having to play a playoff against an Italian team, we should be more than cabable of beating them, even without the 6 Lions.
[/b][/quote]

will be interesting to see though if you'd have your internationals given the playoff is the Friday before the first test.

I agree. I still think we've got a good chance of avoiding that, but I'm confident we'd come through it. Its bottom priority for Cardiff Blues at the moment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluemoon @ Apr 24 2009, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree. I still think we've got a good chance of avoiding that, but I'm confident we'd come through it. Its bottom priority for Cardiff Blues at the moment.[/b]

to be honest I don't see it being an issue as that home game with the Scarlets should be a banker given their form and the number of injuries they currently have. You could see them getting roped into the playoff rather than the Dragons and it may well be an issue given they won't have Jones or Rees and the afore mentioned injury count.

What're we gonna dp about this whole Ulster thing? I don't think they're playing to their potential. Change of coaching?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 24 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What're we gonna dp about this whole Ulster thing? I don't think they're playing to their potential. Change of coaching?[/b]

think that would be a bit drastic after just 1 full season, there's been plenty to build on for them. I think you'd give them at least another season to see if they can get any consistency into their game. You see a result like this and you forget that they actually beat Munster at Thomond.

If they can improve their discipline as well that would be a massive step, has cost them so much this season, surely it's something they can work on in the off season.

Latest posts