• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Under 20's Championship

The forwards were mushed. Not only were England bigger but they were also faster to the breakdown and had better skills than the Irish forwards. Jordi Murphy apart, it's hard to see even one potential international out of the rest of them.

The Irish pack have good skills too. Some of the handling was top notch and they'd far less space to operate.

England were full value for their win. There was a farcical incident in the second half when England were destroying the Irish scrum 5 metres from the tryline. Instead of awarding a penalty try, the ref gave the Irish loosehead a yellow card. All well and good except Ireland's other prop went off injured so the result was uncontested scrums for 10 minutes- not much of an advantage for England.

That was a joke alright. Talk about NOT using common sense. If it happened in a full international the ref would have been suspended.

The Irish pack have good skills too. Some of the handling was top notch and they'd far less space to operate.
Maybe I'm being harsh and what they need is to add bulk to their frames rather than them lacking skill. I was disappointed that a lot of them seemed more interested in hanging out waiting for the ball rather than hitting rucks securing the ball for the backs who looked dangerous. Murphy and Buckley threw themselves around but I'm not sure anyone else did enough.

They've been a little breakdown shy most of the tournament.

Did Stephen Leckey get on and if so how did he do?

I wonder what those English u20's where being fed, absolute moutains of men some of them. Robert Ford looks like a really bright prospect, missed some conversions but he bossed the game and mixed it up well.

are the players in the forwards able to play in next years under 20s? maybe from now they will focus more on getting the players to bulk up. thing is it sounds like even their skills were average at best. no matter how small they are they should have that forward grunt to have the want to hit rucks and try win ball for their backs.. at least we have come through with some prospects in the backs. i'd say there would probably be some changes to the forwards next year because even if you bulk up averagely skilled players (under 20s standard as well) then there isn't much hope of them making it to the pros.

Does George Ford look ready for the Premiership? I'm not sure if he's even 18 yet, but he might be getting some bench time during the WC.

are the players in the forwards able to play in next years under 20s? maybe from now they will focus more on getting the players to bulk up. thing is it sounds like even their skills were average at best. no matter how small they are they should have that forward grunt to have the want to hit rucks and try win ball for their backs.. at least we have come through with some prospects in the backs. i'd say there would probably be some changes to the forwards next year because even if you bulk up averagely skilled players (under 20s standard as well) then there isn't much hope of them making it to the pros.

To the best of my knowledge... Tadgh Furlong, Danny Qualter, Ian Henderson and Shane Connelly are the ones who will be back next year. Maybe Shane Buckley. There's been some good skills on display, just not enough muscle, not enough fitness and debatably - not enough fire. Think Ruddock could do with getting someone like Alan Quinlan in next year, someone who will teach them some good breakdown skills and instil the need to work their guts out.

Does George Ford look ready for the Premiership? I'm not sure if he's even 18 yet, but he might be getting some bench time during the WC.

Hard to say. I think he's got the bottle and most of the skills, but you'd worry about people running down his channel and his goal-kicking. Reckon he can do a bench spot at least.

To the best of my knowledge... Tadgh Furlong, Danny Qualter, Ian Henderson and Shane Connelly are the ones who will be back next year. Maybe Shane Buckley.
Yep, all those you've listed are back next year (it's Aaron Conneally by the way- Shane is his elder brother). The second row and backrow could be pretty good if they add a bit of bulk. At the minute they're too lightweight. Ireland need to find some frontrowers though.

I swear, Irish rugby is nearly as bad as Welsh rugby for everyone having the same surname/being related. I had a feeling I might have confused them...

I swear, Irish rugby is nearly as bad as Welsh rugby for everyone having the same surname/being related. I had a feeling I might have confused them...
That's because we poach our players from Wales! Ruddock, Ruddock, Maguire, Loxton, Jarvis...........

Latest posts