• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA ditch Captain Todd Clever fro RWC squad

That is big. He's probably their highest profile player.

Fair play to them for sticking to their principles.
As Nick said, though: Despite USA getting more high profile players now, he essentiallyISUSA Rugby in many eyes.

A very interesting move by the USA there, Especially when Todd is a good leader for the USA and a good player.

Well on the bright side, Scotland wouldn't have to worry about him anymore ;)

i hear scotland have interrogated his family to find some scottish heritage ...

His great great grandad once ate a haggis, that is good enough. I've seen this guy play and he's always seemed like he's on the verge of having an explosive outburst. He frequently tackles high and without arms, makes me wonder if he was an American Football convert.

I made a thread about this the other day and it got merged...

Anyway - the guy's started to do a lot of harm in terms of ref management in recent years.

Fair enough, I don't know how his form has been in Japan if I'm honest. I'd be surprised if there were 6-7 loose forwards in USA better than him mind you.

I was more talking about it in terms of PR for USA Rugby. A poor RWC will have a fair few talking about Clever's omission, while I can't think of many players in the USA with a similar profile (barring maybe Ngwenya who is no certainty to make the squad either). Not saying guys like Skully and Manoa aren't great players, but I'm not so sure the really casual fan will know much about them.

i hear scotland have interrogated his family to find some scottish heritage ...
:|

- - - Updated - - -

It's fine we don't need him @Conal we have other players were looking into. Were trying to find a way to get CJ Stander before ireland get a hold off him ;)

Carlin Isles for captain! Or is he 7s only?
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. But anyway he only plays 7s

But i saw on wikepedia that Chris Wyles is captain for the USA through the world cup which is an interesting choice.

Good choice. Pro player, senior member of squad, well respected.
And also been playing international rugby for a while, Played really well for Saracens this year (doesn't change leadership and captaincy though). Maybe he is a good shout.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not. But anyway he only plays 7s

But i saw on wikepedia that Chris Wyles is captain for the USA through the world cup which is an interesting choice.

Looking at the squad he's the fourth most capped with 46, behind Todd Clever (63), Mike Petri (49) and Louis Stanfill (51) and of those three the only one who plays for a European club (i.e. who regularly plays high(ish) level rugby- and in the European competition with Saracens too- said in total ignorance of the American club scene).

Well done management for sticking to their rules. I'm sure Todd will hugely regret this now or at least when he's watching the games on his sofa

Latest posts