Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Van den Heever moves from Bulls to Stormers

Article Published: Monday 24 October 2011

Bulls utility back Gerhard van den Heever will play Super Rugby for the Stormers next year after he transferred to Western Province and the Stormers.

Gerhard_Van_Den_Heever1.jpg

The Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd and WP rugby have announced that the 22 year old player, who excels as wing and full back, has signed with Province for 2 years.

Van den Heever was contracted to the Bulls till 31 October 2013, but after successful negotiations between the two provinces, has been transferred to Western Province and will join them from November 1st, 2011.

Van den Heever, who was born in Bloemfontein and schooled in Pretoria, made his provincial and Super Rugby debuts in 2009. He has 41 provincial caps (20 tries) and 31 Super Rugby caps (12 tries).

The BBC's Head: Rugby, Heyneke Meyer commented on the move by saying: "I am happy that there is an opportunity for Gerhard in a very good environment. It is a coincidence that he will now play for the team that he made his debut against in 2009. We wish him good luck with his career and we truly hope that he will achieve his goals."

Commenting on the signing WP Senior Professional Coach Rassie Erasmus said, "We are happy that after we were able to conclude a similar transfer deal with the BBC for the in contract Lionel Cronje earlier this season, that we were able to successfully conclude this negotiation.

We believe Van den Heever to be a quality player with the right attributes to fit into our set-up and vision for the immediate future. Despite his young age he brings solid experience at Super Rugby level. "

"We have a settled base of senior players and a number of emerging young stars and we believe he has the potential to make a valuable contribution at a number of levels."

Well, that's interesting... JJ Engelbrecht moving from Cape Town to Pretoria, now van den Heever going into the opposite direction.

This guy is good. Big loss for the Bulls.

How long until he makes the boks squad? (if he keeps improving at the current rate)

interesting... strange swap for Engelbrecht. Would rather have kept van den Heever. Any other Bulls or Stormers fan have a view on this?

Well I'm happy; will swap Engelbrecht for v/d Heever any day of the week LOL. Adds some depth at 15 as well which we need; Aplon is best at wing IMO and Jantjes is well old.

Still waiting on us addressing our most pressing weaknesses though; a replacement for Francois Louw and an actual 'tight five' front row.

I think van den Heever is ahead of JJ when it comes to development. Maybe van den Heever fits better with the WP style. He is more a ball-in-hand winger, which is better suited with the WP style

Yes, with Jano Vermaak joining them recently, it seems like Hougaard will be on the wing. What does that mean for the Springboks? Pienaar/Vermaak or maybe Bondesio or Duvenhage?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

hmmm, I'm a bit dissappointed that he's going, but I can understand why... but my question is will he have playing time at the Stormers????

His biggest weakness is defence, and that's one Area where JJ Engelbrecht is better.

Who knows why this swap happened... I just think that van den Heever made a wrong choice by going. The Bulls have Basson, Ndungane and Engelbrecht on the wing with Hougaard as well, but with the departure of Fourie Du Preez, Hougaard will play scrum half with Jano Vermaak as his back-up.

Johan Sadie can also play wing, but the Bulls need more creativity in the centres and that's where Sadie needs to play.

Best of luck to Shadow... he's a real talent! maybe he can better his skills with the likes of Habana, Aplon and JDV and Jaque Fourie alongside him...

Yes, with Jano Vermaak joining them recently, it seems like Hougaard will be on the wing. What does that mean for the Springboks? Pienaar/Vermaak or maybe Bondesio or Duvenhage?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Hougaard and Vermaak will be joint scrumhalves for the bulls, and if one of them gets injured, the Bulls has a problem at that position, Dustin Jinka is not very good IMO and the under-21 scrummie also hasn't impress me yet...

Heyneke Meyer, Frans Ludeke and Pine Pienaar said before this year's Currie Cup, the focus now is to build a solid squad of 40+ players for next year's Super 15 and to fill the gaps left by their Retiring Springboks...

Just one thing I can't understand is WHY the Western Province keeps on buying backline players when they need to buy some quality props and locks! they lost to the Lions because their pack couldn't contain the lions at scrums and line-outs, and at rucktime were outclassed by better cleaning out by the Lions's props and Locks...

Hougaard and Vermaak will be joint scrumhalves for the bulls, and if one of them gets injured, the Bulls has a problem at that position, Dustin Jinka is not very good IMO and the under-21 scrummie also hasn't impress me yet...

Heyneke Meyer, Frans Ludeke and Pine Pienaar said before this year's Currie Cup, the focus now is to build a solid squad of 40+ players for next year's Super 15 and to fill the gaps left by their Retiring Springboks...

Just one thing I can't understand is WHY the Western Province keeps on buying backline players when they need to buy some quality props and locks! they lost to the Lions because their pack couldn't contain the lions at scrums and line-outs, and at rucktime were outclassed by better cleaning out by the Lions's props and Locks...

Exactly. I am not sure who makes the moves in terms of signings but that guy/panel need to be dragged out and shot. We do have the goods at lock IMO (Elstadt, Bekker and Etzebeth) but they are all injured at the moment. Our front row or rather lack thereof is the problem. Though I don't wish for Alliester Coetzee to become Bok coach it would be a good thing for WP LOL.

I had the priviledge to play against him in a sevens tournament in my University back in 2008, he absolutely destroyed every team in front of him, such pace it was sickening. His team mates told me he was always late at training and not the most passionate, but what talent.
Since then I've wished hard for him to become a springbok.

Hope he has game time with the Stormers, could be a good move for him.

Like stormer and hein, I am very confused. WP should have gotten some better forwards. Louw is gone, their front-row is not Springbok material at all and with a backline like theirs, they are useless when you lose the scrums all the time. When Bekker returns, things will be different, but still... They should search for some proper front-row players in stead of wasting money on backs

Very good player, I have always enjoyed watching him play (except against us!)
Is he a viable fullback option? He did a decent enough job against us in the S15 this year, has he played there any other times?

He's played at the back for a handful of games this Curriec Cup as well.

Joe Pietersen is apparently homesick in France and is going to return to SA for the Super Rugby season. Anybody interested?

The Stormers are rumoured to be in talks with him and his current club.

Just what the stormers need... Another backline player! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Lag maar, Boet, maar ons kort kwaliteit op heelagter met v/d Heever en Aplon as ons beste opsies vir vleuel (spaar my asseblief nog 'n seisoen van Habana wat balle 'overrun') eerder as heelagter IMO. Maar... ja, fok. Wanneer gaan ons leer! Ek beginne al amper glo dat dit die Ruperts (wat beide Bulls en Stormers besit) is wat neuk LOL.

Lag maar, Boet, maar ons kort kwaliteit op heelagter met v/d Heever en Aplon as ons beste opsies vir vleuel (spaar my asseblief nog 'n seisoen van Habana wat balle 'overrun') eerder as heelagter IMO. Maar... ja, fok. Wanneer gaan ons leer! Ek beginne al amper glo dat dit die Ruperts (wat beide Bulls en Stormers besit) is wat neuk LOL.

Dis baie snaaks, jammer dat ek lag, maar rerig... hierdie is net so snaaks... 'n goeie heelagter gaan julle fokol help as hulle nie die bal kan kry van jul voorspelers af nie... in plaas van aanhou "has-been's" en "never-was" manne te koop, koop eerder jong goeie laaities wat lus is om te speel... en begin by Stut... nie by heelagter nie!!

Argh, dinnae have a hope of saying this in Afrikaans.

I think WP are becoming the new Bulls, Lets buy all the other quality players and bench them, that way no one can stop us MWUHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Except they are doing it on one side of the team, or at least only succeeding in that department.

Latest posts