• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

(Very) early thoughts on the 2017 Lions

Zebo did photo shoot for Lions gear today. Wasn't organised by Munster or IRFU so possibly he's more going than not??

It's an odd one as there were adverts of North with the Lions logo during the 6 nations.

Have to say I'm a little worried these days in Rugby how much advertising determines selection. Pretty much conspiracy theorist nonsense but there is a fewidely times I've wondered if we are selecting people based of their marketability.

It's an odd one as there were adverts of North with the Lions logo during the 6 nations.

Have to say I'm a little worried these days in Rugby how much advertising determines selection. Pretty much conspiracy theorist nonsense but there is a fewidely times I've wondered if we are selecting people based of their marketability.

Well I don't know who sanctioned it but he's been told cut back for next few weeks. Now I do know some players have been contacted already on thoughts for tour. But well regards Zebo the fact he was well appreciated and praised for his role within squad regarding morale would suggest Gatland may select him.

First test team of
1) Vunipola
2) Hartley
3) Nel
4) Dillane
5) Roux
6) Stander
7) Hardie
8) Vunipola
9) McGrath
10) Carberyy
11) Solomona
12) T'eo
13) Payne
14) Seymour
15) Maitland

First test team of
1) Vunipola
2) Hartley
3) Nel
4) Dillane
5) Roux
6) Stander
7) Hardie
8) Vunipola
9) McGrath
10) Carberyy
11) Solomona
12) T'eo
13) Payne
14) Seymour
15) Maitland

Dillane is actually born and bred in Ireland. As is McGrath.

So B-

Fail me. Dillane moved when 7 here from France.
McGrath here since baby too

Last edited:
Well I don't know who sanctioned it but he's been told cut back for next few weeks. Now I do know some players have been contacted already on thoughts for tour. But well regards Zebo the fact he was well appreciated and praised for his role within squad regarding morale would suggest Gatland may select him.

Nothing to do with his ability as a winger then?

Nothing to do with his ability as a winger then?

Well he's in mix. Also fact he covers 15 helps. He will go I'd guess as a touring guy not test

- - - Updated - - -

Ha.

If I was from Limerick I would pretend to be from somewhere else too.
Luckily I'm not from Limerick ;) so don't need to pretend :D

- - - Updated - - -

But in my defense that's like saying
Heaslip, Jordi Murphy and well a few English boys :D

Loosehead Props: Jack McGrath, Mako Vunipola, Cian Healy,
Hookers: Jamie George, Rory Best, Ken Owens
Tighthead Props: Dan Cole, Tadgh Furlong, WP. Nel
Locks: Maro Itoje, Joe Launchbury, Alun Wyn Jones, Jonny Gray, George Kruis
Flankers: CJ Stander, Peter O'Mahony, Chris Robshaw, Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric
Number Eights: Billy Vunipola, Taulupe Faletau
Scrum Halves: Conor Murray, Rhys Webb, Greig Laidlaw
Fly-Halves: Jonny Sexton, Finn Russell
Centres: Owen Farrell, Robbie Henshaw, Jonathan Joseph, Jonathan Davies
Wings: George North, Tommy Seymour, Elliot Daly, Anthony Watson
Full Backs: Stuart Hogg, Liam Williams, Joey Carbery

12 England
10 Ireland
9 Wales
6 Scotland

If I'm honest, I was not impressed by Ben Youngs at all in the Six Nations so I've got Laidlaw in as the third half back and potentially as a midweek captain.

My bolter is Joey Carberry. He's got something about him. Elusive footwork, awesome hands, a great boot and sound defensively. There's not many back three players that have impressed me this year so he is in.

In the back-row there's a variety of guys in there. Chris Robshaw is that grafter in the mould that no-one else really fits. I chose O'Mahony over O'Brien on the basis of his breakdown work and that he is a brilliant lineout operator - if you are going to pick Vunipola or Stander you need someone with lineout prowess there. You can't pick both of them. So if you pick Stander at 6, you are definitely going with Faletau at 8. Likewise if you pick Vunipola you probably want O'Mahony to complement him or pick the Warburton/Tipuric combination - both of them are stellar lineout operators. Personally my favourite combination is 6. O'Mahony, 7. Warburton, 8. Vunipola with Stander to come off the bench at 50 minutes. Form will obviously count though.

In the locks, I think Kruis' physicality will get him over the line. Itoje is obviously a standout, Gray a work horse and Launchbury and Jones are grafters. It's tempting to pick Lawes ahead of one of Jones or Gray though as he also adds something a bit different.

Picking a 23 from that is a tough one but having a crack:

1. Vunipola, 2. George, 3. Furlong, 4. Itoje, 5. Kruis, 6. O'Mahony, 7. Warburton, 8. Vunipola, 9. Murray, 10. Sexton, 11. Daly, 12. Farrell, 13. Henshaw, 14. North, 15. Hogg
BENCH: 16. Owens, 17. McGrath, 18. Cole, 19. Launchbury, 20. Stander, 21. Webb, 22. Joseph, 23. Williams

I wouldn't have taken any of the Welsh centres but with the injury to Huw Jones I think the 3rd place 13 spot is between Jon Davies and Ringrose.

Tough call. The has-been Vs the isn't-yet!

I'm not a big JD fan at all, but I think I'd be going for him for his tour experience since you don't expect him to play any tests

Last edited:
Bit anglocentric so far, they could do with a mix of writers from each of the 4 countries to give that balance. They've got 4 English locks going when not one of those 4 locks could beat Henderson & co in the 6 nations. From a Scottish perspective J Gray & WP Nel barely discussed or not at all.

Nel is still out recovering from neck surgery; hence why Sinkler is mentioned as a bolter, like Mako was 4 years ago. The Gray brothers were completely outplayed by Launchbury and Lawes when England thrashed Scotland. I am all for Scottish players getting picked, but it must be on merit.

Back row: Hamish Watson over Tipuric. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...ions-squad-predictions-experts-pick-back-row/

- - - Updated - - -

Zebo did photo shoot for Lions gear today. Wasn't organised by Munster or IRFU so possibly he's more going than not??

Not sure you can read too much into it. Zebo was a Lion in the last squad, albeit a late call up. I remember Dagg doing photo shoots for the ABs pre RWC and he didn't end up making the final 31 RWC squad.

Last edited:
On Lions -
Niall Scannell
John Ryan
Donnacha Ryan
CJ Stander
Peter O'Mahony
Conor Murray
Simon Zebo
Keith Earls
Darren Sweetnam

Thos list I can 100% confirm got letters yesterday wishing luck on upcoming squad selection.

They won't all be selected obviously but who selected to send those letters.

On Lions -
Niall Scannell
John Ryan
Donnacha Ryan
CJ Stander
Peter O'Mahony
Conor Murray
Simon Zebo
Keith Earls
Darren Sweetnam

Thos list I can 100% confirm got letters yesterday wishing luck on upcoming squad selection.

They won't all be selected obviously but who selected to send those letters.

6 from that list would be veeeery generous, the only ones I'd pick are CJ, POM and Murray.

What club do we think will have the most players? Can anyone compete with Sarries? Leinster or Wasps maybe?!

I suppose it's easy to lose focus on what's going on with the teams in the top tier in Europe when you've not been relevant for a decade.
On a serious note though it looks like they've sent a letter to everyone who features in the squad builder in the fantasy six nations game, selected for the squad or not. If I was someone like uncapped Darren Sweetnam I would probably feel like my mates were taking the **** with me. I think we'll see O'Mahony, Stander, Murray, Zebo and maybe D.Ryan actually included in the extended squad. No idea why J.Ryan, Scannell and Sweetnam were even sent letters. Waste of paper at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could see John Ryan going. Third choice tighthead is very much up in the air and last time Gatland took someone who was 'ambiproperous' in that slot. Ryan or Bealham would fit that bill.

Latest posts