• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Very few kiwi posters anymore?

Yes, I don't doubt he is human and ended up taking it personally. But he just needed to take a break from the forum, when he got agitated. From my reading of his reaction and how he was on the forum he took it upon himself to be the absolute authority on rugby laws (calling himself "the referee") and he was of course very knowledgeable and provided excellent analysis because of his experience as a referee.

But what he failed to recognise is the way he put that across at times and wouldn't take any other view or point, especially when it came to anyone criticizing the AB players. He didn't have much, how can I say it, compassion for the ordinary forum poster on here who did not have his technical knowledge. So, it wasn't surprising that he felt ganged up on when a poster pointed out his double standards and there are just many more regular NH posters, especially from England, on here. Anyway, I personally doubt he will come back now, after making such a big show of his exit and no longer posting, but who knows, it's not like he's not welcome back.

I honestly thought that fracas wasn't as bad as when myself and other SA members had a rather heated debate about Bryce Lawrence (remember him). I know us saffas have a tendency to blame the referee, but in all honesty, sometimes our claims are validated. I take no joy in the fact that the outcry by the SA public caused Bryce to never officiate another international test again, even though he's still an active member of the referees board. And I don't think it was the intention of most of the SA public to have him never officiate again, a leave of absence and an apology would have sufficed. Like Mr. Poite, sure we hate him when he officiates our games, but he has improved dramatically as a referee, and I bare him no ill will when he takes charge.

I will come on this forum to vent, rage and whatever. Sometimes for the sake of my own sanity. And other times to see if others agree with me or not. The way others take my remarks, sometimes warrants a disagreement from me, as that's just my nature. and other times, it's merely to keep the conversation going.

Kiwi lurker here.

I watch most rugby download after the fact and don't feel like I have much to contribute, so I don't! I do enjoy reading the forums though, i live in rugby isolation so miss the banter.

I do find it a bit northern hemispherey here though. The All Blacks V any 6 nations threads are almost unreadable sometimes. SC most definitely went way over the top but I actually agree with his general sentiment. I don't think it's a conspiracy obviously. It's more a case that this place is like watching rugby in a pub in the country you're playing against!

I don't know if it's against the rules to share this but if you're looking for more online rugby chat the rugbyunion subreddit on reddit is pretty good. Too many memes but the downvote option gets rid of lots of the garbage.

Kiwi lurker here.

I watch most rugby download after the fact and don't feel like I have much to contribute, so I don't! I do enjoy reading the forums though, i live in rugby isolation so miss the banter.

I do find it a bit northern hemispherey here though. The All Blacks V any 6 nations threads are almost unreadable sometimes. SC most definitely went way over the top but I actually agree with his general sentiment. I don't think it's a conspiracy obviously. It's more a case that this place is like watching rugby in a pub in the country you're playing against!

I don't know if it's against the rules to share this but if you're looking for more online rugby chat the rugbyunion subreddit on reddit is pretty good. Too many memes but the downvote option gets rid of lots of the garbage.

I get what you're saying about it being too NH on here, but that's mostly because there are more NH posters on here than SH. But in all honesty, most NH posters here have a lot more rugby knowledge and tends to more objective towards the SH sides, than us towards them.

The match threads will always be an area of contention, that's just part of the territory, no matter if it's against SH or NH teams. More NH posters means that they will generally overcrowd those threads, because there are more of them with the same point of view and would rather talk about certain things that happened in the match that got their attention.

I get what you're saying about it being too NH on here, but that's mostly because there are more NH posters on here than SH. But in all honesty, most NH posters here have a lot more rugby knowledge and tends to more objective towards the SH sides, than us towards them.

The match threads will always be an area of contention, that's just part of the territory, no matter if it's against SH or NH teams. More NH posters means that they will generally overcrowd those threads, because there are more of them with the same point of view and would rather talk about certain things that happened in the match that got their attention.

Yeah I realise that, it was kinda my point when saying it's like watching a game in a pub in the country you're playing against. Which I've done and had a blast, I just wouldn't want to do it all the time!

Kiwi lurker here.

that might be it, isolation has probably made me look at the forum more, try and connect a bit. obviously there hasn't been a lot of rugby and so the forum will have been a bit quiet

i have gone back and there are a few kiwis that have dropped off the forum in the last few years and i guess when ive come on looking for some chat its been more obvious they're gone

Larksea, Mr Fish, The Jones Boy, Icemn, nickdnz, austingtir, donmcdazzle, Shaggy, SC, William18 et al, and those are just the ones with over 1K posts

This was the final post I believe

"This, but the "haters of anyone wearing black jersey" on this site will always paint them as the demons - their opposition (whoever they might be) are always the angels. Someone commented earlier that there weren't any Kiwi postersin this thread - its not hard to understand why. This used to be a great forum, but it has slowly degenerated into an echo-chamber for NH haters, who seem hell-bent on picking their villain. How that Richie has retired, they have latched on to Read. Its become another Planet Rugby

Well I'm done with it. This will be my last post here until at least after the World Cup. I have joined another forum, one where you get reasoned debate, not a bunch of haters venting their spleen because the enemy won (again) as they look for any excuse to claim they should not have.

Good luck!"
wish he told us which forum he went too

There don't seem to be many posters in general. Back in 2008 this place was poppin

that might be it, isolation has probably made me look at the forum more, try and connect a bit. obviously there hasn't been a lot of rugby and so the forum will have been a bit quiet

i have gone back and there are a few kiwis that have dropped off the forum in the last few years and i guess when ive come on looking for some chat its been more obvious they're gone

@Larksea, Mr Fish, The Jones Boy, @Icemn, @nickdnz, @austingtir, @donmcdazzle, @Shaggy, SC, William18 et al, and those are just the ones with over 1K posts
forgot @Darwin and @Amobokoboko

Last edited:
that doesn't look like a fun place...how did you find that?

Googled smartcooky with "forum" "rugby" behind them. He frequents 2 or 3 forums. He got laughed out of Green and Gold Rugby. (Probably the wrong place to be a know it all New Zealander tbh) The other places he posts a fair bit is Rugbyrefs forum. I imagine the forum he really went to was just a facebook group or given his age a yahoo group.

There's a handful of American posters on this board, including myself. And were doing our best to stay in the mix. USA Men's 7s has done very well, but there's not a lot of 7's talk on this board. It's mostly 15s, and our Men's 15s has been less than exciting. I feel most at home talking about Trump in the Political forum. Not too many people outside of the USA like him. I don't think many people in America really like him either. Some pretend to so they don't have to admit that they backed a nut job.

Looking at SC's facebook though I can assure everyone he is still alive and well. (I'm not friends with him, he's just not hard to track down).

Some pretend to so they don't have to admit that they backed a nut job.
:):):)
yeah, I think it was a knee jerk reaction to politics in general that.
But back on to topic, SC was fun to wind up spent hours winding him up about forward pass. it was on the site he used to run (forgot the name now) but to tell the truth not been on much due to covid. I hope things pick up when the ball moves about a bit more.

Googled smartcooky with "forum" "rugby" behind them. He frequents 2 or 3 forums. He got laughed out of Green and Gold Rugby. (Probably the wrong place to be a know it all New Zealander tbh) The other places he posts a fair bit is Rugbyrefs forum. I imagine the forum he really went to was just a facebook group or given his age a yahoo group.

that is hilarious.:D

Kiwis also have the Silver Fern and Aussies have GAGR - which are both frequented more regularly and by more posters than this forum.

I actually like the NH component. The only reason i come here.

Some of the most regular and popular posters on GAGR are kiwis.

Kiwis also have the Silver Fern and Aussies have GAGR - which are both frequented more regularly and by more posters than this forum.

I actually like the NH component. The only reason i come here.

It's weird you say this, even the dedicated Sharks world forum has a huge number more posters than this forum. Odd how how these very specific forums has such a large user base compared to a multifunctional site

Last edited:
I guess rugby is still essentially a club game.

I honestly thought that fracas wasn't as bad as when myself and other SA members had a rather heated debate about Bryce Lawrence (remember him). I know us saffas have a tendency to blame the referee, but in all honesty, sometimes our claims are validated. I take no joy in the fact that the outcry by the SA public caused Bryce to never officiate another international test again, even though he's still an active member of the referees board. And I don't think it was the intention of most of the SA public to have him never officiate again, a leave of absence and an apology would have sufficed. Like Mr. Poite, sure we hate him when he officiates our games, but he has improved dramatically as a referee, and I bare him no ill will when he takes charge.

I will come on this forum to vent, rage and whatever. Sometimes for the sake of my own sanity. And other times to see if others agree with me or not. The way others take my remarks, sometimes warrants a disagreement from me, as that's just my nature. and other times, it's merely to keep the conversation going.
That's because you have blokes like Egon Seconds running around. I think i recall seeing him actually enter a ruck?

Latest posts