• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vivendi buy swordfish studios

E

esoj

saw this on gameplanet.co.nz this morning. Looks like trev , Ian and the rest of the team will have more money and resources.

Vivendi snaps up Swordfish
Vivendi Universal Games (VU Games) has acquired independent game developer Swordfish Studios, developer of World Championship Rugby and this year's forthcoming Rugby Challenge 2006 and Ricky Ponting International Cricket games. Under terms of the agreement, VU Games will retain Swordfish Studios' UK-based team of 45 development professionals. Financial terms of the transaction have not been disclosed.
"Swordfish Studios has emerged as a strong creative force with an experienced and talented group of professionals," said Bruce Hack, CEO of VU Games. "Following the integration of Radical Entertainment into the VU Games organisation and Blizzard Entertainment's acquisition of Swingin' Ape Studios earlier this year, the purchase of Swordfish further builds our internal development capabilities."

Trevor Williams, Managing Director of Swordfish, will continue to lead the studio in the same role and will report to Peter Della Penna, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Product Development for VU Games. The studio will remain in its current office in Birmingham, England.

Swordfish Studios, founded in 2002, has earned several awards for excellence in game development, including "Developer of the Year" for 2004 by The Independent Game Developers Association. It was also honoured as the best "New UK Studio" at the Developer Industry Excellence Awards.

Future products in development at Swordfish Studios will be announced at a later date. The studio just completed development on VU Games'TM PS2 first-person shooter, Cold Winter.

Swordfish is currently working on Brian Lara/Ricky Ponting International Cricket 2005 for the Sony PlayStation 2, Microsoft Xbox and PC platforms, in addition to two undisclosed ***les. For more information, visit www.swordfishstudios.com.

well i sure hope so especially on things like budget and marketing distribution and perhaps other things like buying licenses but maybe its bit late to get any more licenses for this version or for the southern hemispher

I don't like to put a dampner on things, but I fear that this "Takeover" Could see the End of Swordfish Studios Involvement with Rugby and Cricket Games.
<

boo... sellouts! lol, no hopefully this deal is to the benefit or rugby gaming in many ways.

Originally posted by locksley@Jun 17 2005, 10:26 AM
I don't like to put a dampner on things, but I fear that this "Takeover" Could see the End of Swordfish Studios Involvement with Rugby and Cricket Games.
<
i will put a dampner on that comment and say:
The sales of these games will decide their future
<

awesome find

hopefully we could get some more indepth news from ian and trevor!

*Standing next to Kinkon staring at the door wondering WTF we are doing staring at the door*

i dont know though locksley, maybe vivendi are hoping to expand there horizons and bring in a variety of genres to there consumers.

Originally posted by gjohn85@Jun 18 2005, 04:35 AM
*Standing next to Kinkon staring at the door wondering WTF we are doing staring at the door*
*Still staring at the door, wondering if gjohn85 has any money*

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
*Still staring at the door, wondering if gjohn85 has any money*[/b]

*Still staring at the door & offers Kinkon some money & wonders why does he need money*
<

Latest posts