• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vodacom Cheetahs vs Vodacom Bulls

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Teams

Cheetahs : To follow.

Bulls : Zane Kirchner, Gerhard van den Heever, Jaco Pretorius, Wynand Olivier, Francois Hougaard, Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez (v/c), Pierre Spies, Pedrie Wannenburg, Deon Stegmann, Victor Matfield ©, Danie Rossouw, Werner Kruger, Gary Botha, Gurthrö Steenkamp.

Replacements: Bandise Maku, Bees Roux, Flip vd Merwe, Derick Kuün, Heini Adams, Jacques-Louis Potgieter, Stephan Dippenaar.

Match Officials
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (SA)
Ass. Refs: Marius Jonker (SA), Reuben Rossouw (SA)
TMO: Shaun Veldsman (SA)[/b]

Ah the big rivals meet again :D .Good to see Gary Botha back in action for the Bulls again.Bulls haven't lost to the Cheetahs in the Super 14 yet and this game should be another victory for the current champs but they will be pushed to the end by an enthusiastic Cheetahs side at home I feel.

My prediction: Bulls by 4

Great save by Stegman on Nokwe. So far not too impressed with defence...

To everyone who thinks the Super 14 players know how to tackle: 0:31 (seconds), Cheetahs 5 - 0 Bulls. Turnstile defence in operation. Then, it's 8-10 to the Bulls... After yet more top quality defence.

God bless the Super 14s basketball attitude to scoring.

more wonderful attack and shocking tackling mixed with major crossing gets van den heever a try.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 12 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well it's all very entertaining, but really where's the tackling?[/b]

basketball-dunking-on-someone.jpg

This game has been more entertaining than the entire 6 Nations will probably be. Yeah, you could mention defence, but no wonder SH supporters don't bother with our stuff when they can watch matches like this. Awesome. :)

Now, I don't watch much Super 14, and this has been the first match I've watched properly, so I accept that this may not be the norm.
However - has anyone in this tournament ever made a tackle? The defence seems particularly poor today...

Also, in Kirchner I think we have the only person who is worse in defence than O'Gara.

I agree with the point on Kirchner, he is a truly awful rugby player.
However, it is games like this, with invention and flair, that keep my faith and passion in rugby, and why it is the best sport in the world. They are becoming less and less frequent and rugby is worse because of it.
So there!

Which South African do you owe money?

Or are you still sulking because Henson will never play for Wales again?

I agree that lots of tries is better than few, but that game got to the point where you aren't amazed at the attacking skill, more shocked at the poor defence.
When Stegmann held up Nokwe was the best part for me. Fantastic attack from the winger, and amazing defence to stop him, albeit only from one of the 5 or so bulls that could have done it.
Defence can make matches good as much as attack for me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 12 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
However, it is games like this, with invention and flair, that keep my faith and passion in rugby, and why it is the best sport in the world. They are becoming less and less frequent and rugby is worse because of it.
So there![/b]

his try was a stunner though

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 13 2010, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 12 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So there![/b]

[/b][/quote]

Are you sure it wasn't just bad defending?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Feb 13 2010, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 13 2010, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 12 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So there![/b]

[/b][/quote]

Are you sure it wasn't just bad defending?
[/b][/quote]

This one wasn't... relied purely on 2 perfectly weighted kicks from Roussouw and Kirchner, nothing the defence could really do.

Mapoe scored a very good try through a disorganised defence. Uys missed a tackle on Pretorius for his. Steyn's try saw him lined up against a load of tight 5 forwards. Nokwe's was brilliant, but at the beginning of the move Viljoen breezed through 3 defenders as if they weren't there. van den Heever also scored a nice try, but thanks to a major bit of crossing from Pretorius, plus more missed tackles on Olivier. And Juan Smith's pushover - he would have had to wait about 5 more phases in Europe to get over.

It was very entertaining - far more 'entertaining' in terms of attacking rugby than most of the rugby I've seen all season. But the intensity and physicality just wasn't there. It seems that the players' attitude to defence is 'never mind, we're capable of scoring a try in the next 5 mins anyway', whereas in Europe and the International arena, people are desperate not to concede tries and defend as if their lives depended on it.

What's up the heavy over analyzing of SH rugby based on this game?

Even the most bias SA rugby site had this to say:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The scoreline suggests an enthralling contest, and it was to a certain extent, but purists will bemoan a diabolical defensive performance from both sides. The fact that it’s the first game of the campaign will be offered as a mitigating factor, but both sides will know that a replication of this defensive nightmare is not an option.[/b]
Source: keo.co.za

1st game of their season for both teams. The European equivlent to this would be a 9-3 scoreline in what looked more like a mud wrestling-Gaelic football hybrid sport.

"First game of the season" is a pathetic excuse. Super Rugby has always had nonchalant, non-committal defending and a "we couldn't actually care" mentality to scoring (or specifically, defending) tries. It was almost like an exhibition match last night, only that's unfair as there's been Barbarians sides in recent years who are far more committed to keeping a tight defence then either the Bulls or Cheetahs... Even when Carlos Spencer, Ian Balshaw and Justin Marshall are in non-effort mode.

So you prefer a nonchalant mentality to pick-and-drive tactics and waiting for an opportunity to taking penalties?

Both sides of the extreme aren't attractive but I personal prefer the one extreme (lots of tries) WAY more than the other.

PS have you ever said anything positive about SH rugby, ever?

Latest posts