• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Vodacom Cheetahs vs Vodacom Bulls

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Feb 13 2010, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
PS have you ever said anything positive about SH rugby, ever?[/b]

Yep, I admire the attacking mentality and am often very complimentary about the All Blacks. For that matter, until P-Divvy took over I was very complimentary about the Boks also.

I also have seen some cracking games in the NPC and Currie Cup.

Sadly however, the Super 14 is almost as farcical as the Magners league.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sadly however, the Super 14 is almost as farcical as the Magners league.[/b]

Not as sad as how cramped up you are in that box of yours. Always think you know everything about everything, when in fact, you are just another one of those guys that refuse to even attempt to look at every single aspect of whatever it is you comment on. You are so fixated on your dislike and opinions of anything that you have made a conclusion of, that you immediately draw up one single conclusion, and that's that.

This was one of the worst defensive play i think anyone has ever seen, and our tabloids have said the same, but you immediately jump on that, and condemn an entire competition. Every team, every game. Oblivious of any other aspects of the games played, you jump on the 'Super 14 is kackZ' bandwagon.

I don't think any of the SH posters and members of this forum should take anything you say seriously anymore, until you can get off your fat horse and open both your eyes.

I honestly believe you are by far the biggest fanboy i have ever seen on the internet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 14 2010, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Feb 13 2010, 04:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 13 2010, 08:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Feb 12 2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the point on Kirchner, he is a truly awful rugby player.
However, it is games like this, with invention and flair, that keep my faith and passion in rugby, and why it is the best sport in the world. They are becoming less and less frequent and rugby is worse because of it.
So there![/b]

his try was a stunner though
[/b][/quote]

Are you sure it wasn't just bad defending?
[/b][/quote]

This one wasn't... relied purely on 2 perfectly weighted kicks from Roussouw and Kirchner, nothing the defence could really do.

Mapoe scored a very good try through a disorganised defence. Uys missed a tackle on Pretorius for his. Steyn's try saw him lined up against a load of tight 5 forwards. Nokwe's was brilliant, but at the beginning of the move Viljoen breezed through 3 defenders as if they weren't there. van den Heever also scored a nice try, but thanks to a major bit of crossing from Pretorius, plus more missed tackles on Olivier. And Juan Smith's pushover - he would have had to wait about 5 more phases in Europe to get over.

It was very entertaining - far more 'entertaining' in terms of attacking rugby than most of the rugby I've seen all season. But the intensity and physicality just wasn't there. It seems that the players' attitude to defence is 'never mind, we're capable of scoring a try in the next 5 mins anyway', whereas in Europe and the International arena, people are desperate not to concede tries and defend as if their lives depended on it.
[/b][/quote]

Can you not enjoy the Super 14 for what it is? Which is a lot of attacking rugby, rather than a game based around not conceding tries. Like you say, Europe and the International arena have far more intensity, so it isn't completely missing in rugby nowadays. Therefore, if you want such a match, it's there for the taking, it just didn't happen to be there in this particular match.

With every sport you are going to get different styles of play in different competition. Genrally speaking, the only way someone can score in any sport is if their opposition makes a mistake. It might not be apparent at first, but I'm sure if you analyse it enough it's possible to find someone at fault somewhere. Then there's the fact it was a game played at the home of the reigning champions vs last year's cell dwellers.

I'd also like to point out that looking at the other games and scores over the weekend, this game has been exception. However, I will admit that the Hurricanes' defending was non apparent when the Blues scored their two tries in the first half, but by the second half it had actually stepped up a notch quite considerably.

It is a very valid point that the defending isn't the best in this competition at times, that's for sure. That you've taken the time to watch a match is a lot more than can be said to some, so kudos to you for that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 13 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Feb 13 2010, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PS have you ever said anything positive about SH rugby, ever?[/b]
Sadly however, the Super 14 is almost as farcical as the Magners league.
[/b][/quote]

If you say that in regard to the soul less artificial 'franchises' with no history or real significance behind them, which both leagues have, then I agree with you.

Also take into consideration that the pitches in the SH are way harder and faster and thus more difficult to defend. In any case, I have to agree that Super rugby has worse defense than the NH counterparts, except maybe for the Stormers, Crusaders and some of the Aussie teams but I prefer it to some of the NH games I've watched and until NH club rugby leads to NH dominance on the international stage I don't take it too seriously.

Latest posts