10. Kurt Morath (?)
9. Samisoni Fisilau (Counties Manukau)
1. Soane Tonga'uiha (Northampton)
2. Ephraim Taukafa (Lyon)
3. Kisi Pulu (Perpignan)
4. Paino Hehea (Lyon)
5. Sitaleki Timani (Waratahs)
6. Steve Mafi (Leicester)
7. Finau Maka (Aix-en-Provence) (captain)
8. Samiu Vahafolau (Biarritz)

16. Antonio Halangahu
17. Sona Taumalolo/Taufa'ao Filise/Tonga Lea'aetoa
18. Joe Tu'ineau/Emosi Kauhenga/Lisiate Fa'aoso
19. Sione Kalamafoni/Viliami Ma'afu/Lua Lokotui/Josh Afu
20. Hudson Tonga'uiha
21. Andrew Ma'ilei
22. William Helu/Vili Iongi

where are the following missing players? Ma'ama Molitika, Nili Latu, Hale T-Pole, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Ita Vaea, Manu Ahotaeiloa, Aleki Lutui, Opeti Fonua, Epi Taione, Chris Hala'ufia, Sililo Martens, Pierre Hola. I reckon they could all get in the squad at least

However I think this is the strongest Tonga squad in my lifetime, and has not got worse from their successful 2007 squad, however I don't know if they have a good kicker like Hola, as that will be important as the minnows have to get all their points to come close to the bigger nations.
For the Tongan population size though that is a good amount of good players per population
Kurt Morath is a very solid kicker, and if there is an injury Jonnie Moraths kicking is world class, so i dont think that will be a major issue.
Joe Tuineau will have his name all over the starting lock jersey aswell. He had the U.S and Fiji teams clamoring to get him, so Tonga must have made a few promises. He wouldn't look too bad in an All Black jersey either i'd say.
Cooper Vunas defense is way too dodgy for inside centre either, Piatau is a great 13 he should take it.

The one major ommission i forgot about is Taniela Moa, that guy could be the Tongan answer to Piri Weepu if he put his mind to it
The big question though looking at this squad Is which of these players will actually make themselve ELIGIBLE and PLAY in the final squad? Their is an article about Vuna wanting to be a wallaby first and foremost soo his inclusion to me is skepticle as he also believes he is risking his career playing super rugby in Australia.
Most of the players listed above have either retired, are too old or do not have the desire to play for Tonga anymore. Moa would be a natural pick for Tonga but his allegiance lies with New Zealand soo he'll decline playing for Tonga while hes still young in the hope of someday being an All Black. For me theyll have to make do With Fisilau and D Morath as their half back combination with K Morath, Havea and maybe Apikatoa as theyre next best back ups. Hola would be in there but I think his playing days are numbered soo hes probably best spending the rest of his playing days makeing money playing in europe.
Not a bad squad at all. Great to see quite a number of Super rugby players in there aswell as the European contingent. They have an Impressive depth in theyre forwards with some big names (Taumololo, Tonga'huia, Pulu, Timani, Mafi, Finau, Vahafolau) with only lacking a true pilfering #7 which is the big void left By Nili Latu not being in the squad (Has he retired?) . They have some Size and Impact out in the backline though I feel is lacking a bit of blistering pace and a true first class Halfback Combination. The Team will hit and play hard with alot of Grunt and impact which is to their strengths. Theyll need to control Their Discipline (Something Tonga is Infamous for), workout theyre set piece combinations (Scrum looks decent although getting the line out to work will be KEY as teams wil target theyre lack of Tactical kicking) and try and gel as best they can with lack of proper preperation (Again Something that is all too familiar with Pacific teams trying to assemble Squads from all over the world) for them to beat Canada and Japan and possibly upset France (All blacks even on their worst day is too far out of reach).
My team from the listed squad
1 Tonga'huia
2 Taukafa (Telefoni/Ma'asi)
3 Taumololo (Pulu/Lea'aeatoa)
4 Tuineau
5 Timani (Hehea/Kauhenga)
6 Mafi (Kalamafoni)
7 Koloamatangi (Afu)
8 Maka (Ma'afu/Vahafolau)
9 Fisilau (D Morath/Havea)
10 K Morath (?)
11 Vuna
12 Kefu (Mailei)
13 Piutau
14 Pakalani (Fatafehi/Helu/Malupo)
15 Lilo

Last edited:
Pakalani up against international teams? He is so cake cant beleive the Tahs bought him good in space but you put brad thorn infront of him? damn

Pakalani is still young..But he has room to grow and he can be a decent player for Tonga. If not Id put either Fatafehi or Helu in there with Vuna. Although as I said I dont see Vuna makeing himself available for Tonga for this years World Cup for the time being.

The big question though looking at this squad Is which of these players will actually make themselve ELIGIBLE and PLAY in the final squad? Their is an article about Vuna wanting to be a wallaby first and foremost soo his inclusion to me is skepticle as he also believes he is risking his career playing super rugby in Australia.
Most of the players listed above have either retired, are too old or do not have the desire to play for Tonga anymore. Moa would be a natural pick for Tonga but his allegiance lies with New Zealand soo he'll decline playing for Tonga while hes still young in the hope of someday being an All Black. For me theyll have to make do With Fisilau and D Morath as their half back combination with K Morath, Havea and maybe Apikatoa as theyre next best back ups. Hola would be in there but I think his playing days are numbered soo hes probably best spending the rest of his playing days makeing money playing in europe.
Not a bad squad at all. Great to see quite a number of Super rugby players in there aswell as the European contingent. They have an Impressive depth in theyre forwards with some big names (Taumololo, Tonga'huia, Pulu, Timani, Mafi, Finau, Vahafolau) with only lacking a true pilfering #7 which is the big void left By Nili Latu not being in the squad (Has he retired?) . They have some Size and Impact out in the backline though I feel is lacking a bit of blistering pace and a true first class Halfback Combination. The Team will hit and play hard with alot of Grunt and impact which is to their strengths. Theyll need to control Their Discipline (Something Tonga is Infamous for), workout theyre set piece combinations (Scrum looks decent although getting the line out to work will be KEY as teams wil target theyre lack of Tactical kicking) and try and gel as best they can with lack of proper preperation (Again Something that is all too familiar with Pacific teams trying to assemble Squads from all over the world) for them to beat Canada and Japan and possibly upset France (All blacks even on their worst day is too far out of reach).
My team from the listed squad
1 Tonga'huia
2 Taukafa (Ma'asi)
4 Tuineau
6 Mafi (Kalamafoni)
7 Afu
8 Maka (Ma'afu/Vahafolau)
10 K Morath (?)
11 Vuna
12 Kefu (Mailei)
13 Piutau
15 Lilo

It will be interesting to see what Vuna does. Realistically he has no chance of making the Aussie RWC this year in my opinion, though he could make the Wallaby team in a couple of years time (assuming he learns how to tackle). I'm not sure what the story is regarding his Australian Rugby union contract if he decides to play for Tonga, but this may be a factor in his decision.

Not sure what the story is with Latu, but if Tonga want a pilfering 7 (which I think they need), they could pick Osaiasi Koloamatangi, as he is very much in that mould. He was a standout for Counties early last year, often getting 2-3 turnovers per game at ruck time - on his early season form he looked like he might be a bolter for the Chiefs squad. I think he was injured mid-season though, which slowed his progress.

I'm not overly impressed with the wing talent that Tonga has available. Vuna is good with the ball in hand, but hopeless (at best) on defense, while Pakalani can look great one minute then completely horrendous the next. Fatefehi was probably the most hopeless wing Otago has ever had... he was big, strong, and fast, but couldn't catch the ball, and if he did catch the ball he didn't manage to hold onto it for long. Malupo played a few games for Northland last year, but was hardly a standout at ITM Cup level. I'm unfamiliar with the other wing options, but hopefully there are some talented players that I haven't seen before. Overall I agree that Vuna and Pakalani are probably the best two wing options avaiable, however they may consider moving Piutau to the wing, and go for Kefu and Mailei in the midfield (though personally I do think Piutau is better suited to centre).

Pakalani up against international teams? He is so cake cant beleive the Tahs bought him good in space but you put brad thorn infront of him? damn

I think they need a guy like Pakalani though. Those forwards will create alot of space and go forward ball but they don't actually have too many attacking weapons in the backs which is weird for an islander side. Pakalani can rip through any defense on his day. Worth the gamble i think

I think they need a guy like Pakalani though. Those forwards will create alot of space and go forward ball but they don't actually have too many attacking weapons in the backs which is weird for an islander side. Pakalani can rip through any defense on his day. Worth the gamble i think
This has always been the case with the Tongans unlike the other Island powerhouses Fiji and Samoa who usually have decent backlines when they line up. Tonga have always lacked the same firepower in the backs that they have in the forwards.

For me:

15 Hudson Tonga'uiha (London Welsh, ENG)
14 Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels, AUS)
13 Mafileo Kefu(Toulon, FRA)
12 Siale Piutau (Highlanders, NZ)
11 Viliami Helu (Roma, ITA)
10 Kurt Morath (Southern Districts, AUS)
9 Soane Havea (Marist, TON)
8 Finau Maka capitão (Aix-en-province, FRA)
7 Lua Lokotui (Kintetsu Liners, JAP)
6 Uelini Fono (Agen, FRA)
5 Steve Mafi (Leicester Tigers, ENG)
4 Joe Tuineau (Highlanders, NZ)
3 Kisi Pulu (Perpignan, FRA)
2 Semisi Telefoni (Agen, FRA)
1 Tonga Lea'aetoa (Bayonne, FRA)

Reserves: 16 Ilaisa Ma´asi (Counties, NZ) , 17 Taufa'ao Filise (Cardiff Blues, GAL), 18 Sitaleki Timani (Warratahs, AUS), 19 Samiu Vahafolau (Biarritz, FRA), 20 Samisoni Fisilau (Counties, NZ), 21 Eddie Paea (Easts, AUS), 22 Vungakoto Lilo (Bordeaux, FRA)

After reading other peoples thoughts and doing some research this is my revised tonga lineup from the 50 man squad.

1 Tonga'huia
2 Taukafa (Telefoni/Ma'asi)
4 Tuineau
6 Mafi (Kalamafoni)
7 Koloamatangi (Afu)
8 Maka (Vahafolau/Ma'afu)
10 K Morath (?)
11 Vuna
12 Kefu (Mailei)
13 Piutau
15 Lilo

Last edited:
Viliami Iongi whose in the Brumbies Academy timed the fastest 40 for the Brumbies and carved up current wing Francis Fainifo in the canberra club final when the lined up against each other at center.

Eddie Paea is another option at 5 8th switching over from league this year he was playing for the south sydney rabbitohs. Taniela Moa was training with Tonga last year ,but left before the PNC. Nili Latu, Hale T Pole, and Epi Taione have been banned from Tonga rugby, which is a shame cuz we need Nili Latu. Im still hoping players get added to the list theres a few big names missing from the team Moa, Fonua, Hala'ufia, Vainikolo. Im hoping Moa ends up playing.

My Side would be

15. Vunga Lilo
14. Afa Pakalani/Vili Iongi
13. Alipate Fatafehi/Siale Piutau
12. Mafi Kefu
11. Cooper Vuna
10. Kurt Morath/Eddie Paea
9. Taniela Moa/Samisoni Fisilau
8. Viliami Ma'afu
7. Finau Maka
6. Sitaleki Timani
5. Joe Tuineau
4. Steve Mafi
3. Sona Taumalolo
2. Ephraim Taukafa/Semisi Telefoni
1 Soane Tonga'uiha

Viliami Iongi whose in the Brumbies Academy timed the fastest 40 for the Brumbies and carved up current wing Francis Fainifo in the canberra club final when the lined up against each other at center.

Eddie Paea is another option at 5 8th switching over from league this year he was playing for the south sydney rabbitohs. Taniela Moa was training with Tonga last year ,but left before the PNC. Nili Latu, Hale T Pole, and Epi Taione have been banned from Tonga rugby, which is a shame cuz we need Nili Latu. Im still hoping players get added to the list theres a few big names missing from the team Moa, Fonua, Hala'ufia, Vainikolo. Im hoping Moa ends up playing.

My Side would be

15. Vunga Lilo
14. Afa Pakalani/Vili Iongi
13. Alipate Fatafehi/Siale Piutau
12. Mafi Kefu
11. Cooper Vuna
10. Kurt Morath/Eddie Paea
9. Taniela Moa/Samisoni Fisilau
8. Viliami Ma'afu
7. Finau Maka
6. Sitaleki Timani
5. Joe Tuineau
4. Steve Mafi
3. Sona Taumalolo
2. Ephraim Taukafa/Semisi Telefoni
1 Soane Tonga'uiha

Soo Hale and Latu are still available to play for Tonga yet they are banned due to speaking out about problems with the board? that is ludicrous....The 3 of them were ditrimental to Tonga doing soo well at the last world cup and now they're going to ban them over something soo trivial? The Tongan community should be outraged. Found this article on Pacificnationsrugby.com
http://www.pacificnationsrugby.com/home-news.aspx?hl=Nili+Latu+breaks+his+silence
FORMER Tongan International Captain, Nili Latu breaks his silence in his so called ‘ban’ from the ‘Ikale Tahi.

The current coach of the ‘Ikale Tahi team and former All Black, ‘Isitolo Maka, has reportedly made it clear that none of the players that were involved in the "letter incident" that happened during the Pacific Nations Cup 2009 in Fiji will be given a chance to play in the team.

Here is what the former captain Nili Latu has to say about what really happened.

I have played in New Zealand for many years and it was one of my wishes and dreams that one day I would play and represent Tonga. There were opportunities for me in New Zealand and it was obvious that playing in New Zealand had its financial benefits. In the past I have played in New Zealand’s National School Boys and I was schooled in New Zealand ever since I started playing, but not once have I forgotten my dream, to represent the country my humble parents grew up in, Tonga. When I finally had the chance to play for Tonga, I had the courage to return to the place where I grew up to show my support. I returned to Tonga at tough times because at the time according to the NZRFU if I was to represent another country other than New Zealand than my chances of playing for any Super 14 team in New Zealand will be stripped away, as the opportunity would be given to players who are willing to play for New Zealand. It was a very hard decision for me to make knowing that my family relied on my income from playing for New Zealand and if I was to play for Tonga than we could be financially affected; it was a risk I was willing to take. I believe that we are all familiar with the pay in New Zealand compared to the pay in Tonga. But to me getting good pay or money had nothing to do with my decision to play for Tonga.

Up till now the Board claims that Tongan players are always asking for money but the truth is we are just asking for our rightful earnings that help take care and feed our families. For local Tongan rugby players, rugby is their only source of income to feed and help their families. Players who come from New Zealand and overseas countries to play for Tonga also have expenditures such as paying for their rent, feeding their family etc. I would like to give an example to make my point more clear. The average pay for a player playing in New Zealand is $400 to $500 per week. If this player was to go and represent Tonga then he will no longer receive this $400 to $500 pay.
Furthermore, the rent in New Zealand in average is between $250 to $350. When players leave to represent Tonga they are still faced with the burden of having to pay for their rent, electricity bills, water bills, food, children’s school fees and their daily expenses. How are players expected to cover this with no pay from the national team?

Futhermore, not only are players away from their homes they are to gather up the courage to leave they respected families for about 6 to 7 weeks. To tell you the truth being separated from your family that long is not an easy thing to do especially those with wives and children.
This is one of the main reasons why Tongan players are unsatisfied because players know for sure that they have the right to ask for their pay. When players are chosen for the Tongan team, believe me, they do not come for the money, as all the players know how poor our country is. They are grateful for the money the board offers them because it would be of great help for their families. If for 6 to 7 weeks the players still haven’t received anything to send to their families and cover their expenses, then I am certain that it is not a crime to ask the board for some financial assistance. I believe it is not a crime for me to stand up and sound out the needs of the players.

When they said that for not choosing me and the rest of the senior boys is because of our politics, I believe the main reason for them not choosing us is because we, Hale and I, stood and talked about the problems they faced in the PNC this year. The team then agreed as a whole for us to compose a letter to the Board, sign it and then send it to them from Fiji so that they knew what we want for the benefit for the whole team. It was not just me and Hale’s idea to write the letter, it was the whole team that wanted to write the letter. It was then my responsibility as captain and Hale as vice to voice out the needs of the team to the board and this is what happened at the PNC.

After the PNC it seemed that Hale and I were blamed for some things that we said which were the player’s needs. We were then punished for informing others about what really happened. They seemed to have forgotten that it was the board that have had problems these last few years and now the players are suffering the consequences.

I have yet to receive a letter from Tonga informing me that I will no longer be accepted to play for the Tongan team. All I have been told is that a new board has been chosen and that the IRB was present during this process.

I am apparently no longer allowed to play for Tonga because it was I who spoke out for the team regarding the problems the Tongan Rugby Union have struggled with for many years now.
It was not just for my well being alone that I spoke of the problem; it was for everyone and the future of rugby in our beloved country. But whose problem is it? It is the board’s problem but we the players who just play, get injured while doing our best to represent our country also have to suffer for their problems and shortcomings.

My position is captain, and it is certainly not an easy task being captain especially in a National team. One of the responsibilities of a captain is that if there is anyone in the team who has any concerns the vice captain and I will inform and ask the board and ask for their assistance; this is what happened at the Pacific Nations Cup 2009. If they say that it was wrong for me to speak out for the rights of the players and inform them of their needs then I should never have been captain. I informed them to give the players their deserved pay and did not just ask them once. It got to a point where the players got tired of waiting for their pay so we agreed to write a letter. This letter did not just consist of one player; we all agreed that that we would all sign of our own free will. I did not force anyone to sign the letter, everyone who signed the letter signed it out of their own free will. I have heard talk, that Hale T-Pole and I wrote the letter and then forced the players to sign it, I also heard that some of the players signed the letter just because it was Hale and I who composed it. I say to you now that this is not what really happened. It was out of the players own free will that they signed the letter.

I would like to clearly say to the members of the board, that even though you have closed the door for me to come and play for Tonga I will keep on knocking and waiting until the day you the leaders will have a change of heart. Tonga is a religious country and I still believe that we still have a chance, together with the others who have said to have also been left out. I am disappointed by the fact that I have no information from the board as to why I am no longer allowed to play for Tonga after working so hard for my country; all I have is speculation. If the reason for leaving me out the team was because of writing the letter, I gladly accept it because that is why I was chosen as captain, to be a voice for the players. If I was not selected because I had any shortcomings as captain or as a player then i accept the fact that I was not chosen. The obvious problem is I still don’t know the reason I was not chosen. Hopefully one day I will be informed of the reason, I will accept it, it may be something to learn from.

Nevertheless, there will never be a time were playing for my country would not be an option. I strongly believe that if the board tries to resolve their problems first than we, the players, would not be affected. Even though they did not choose me to join this tour to Europe I will not give up, my support is with the players that they continue their work.

I was really honored and happy, when the coach at that time Quddus Fielea’ together with the team chose me to be captain dating right bak to the World Cup in 2007. The truth was that there were other good players who were also capable of being captain such as, Hale T-Pole, Finau Maka, ‘Epeli Taione, ‘Aleki Lutui and others. When it was final than I was to be captain of the ‘Ikale Tahi team the only thing I was sure of was that I must be a good role model to my team in the field; someone for my team to follow. My fellow team mates also were the ones who helped me while I was captain. It is not right for me to say that I was the best captain in Tonga’s National Teams just because of the results of the 2007 World Cup. I say that I am a representative of the team, but it was the players who played the game in the field who were the rightful captains, the 15 players and the reserves, they were the rightful captains. I would also thank all of the players because if it wasn’t for them than it would not have been easy for me. They all did their bit on the field.

I believe that maybe rejecting the senior players for this tour was done in the heat of the moment, out of anger and I believe that it can be resolved by discussing and also working together in a suitable manner.

At the present time, I do not have any idea who the members of the TRFU Board are and their path is still blurred and uncertain. I believe that that the preparation for the World Cup would be much more easier if this uncertainty is solved, if not than even more problems will arise in Tonga’s Rugby. There will be many more quarrels and accusations and disputes. What will then happen to the rugby players and the future players? If they look at how messed up the board is then there will be no incentive for them to make them want to play. There are plenty of good quality players who can represent Tonga, the problem is that they realize the problem that Tonga is still struggling with and it discourages them to play.

I hope that these problems could be resolved so that our preparations for the next world cup 2011 could start. My mission right from the start when I first left New Zealand to play for Tonga is still the same up till now. My mission is to help and support my home country, Tonga, and if my mission cannot be accomplished because some people are just too stubborn than all I could do is to give my support to the players that are chose to represent us.

I would like to give my apologies to the people and the supporters of Tonga’s rugby if I had any shortcomings as captain I believe that it was for the country’s own wellbeing and also for the players. My apologies, as they say “ Ko e vale pe €˜a fanauâ€.

Yea the teamed struggled with food and preperation as well at the 2009 PNC its these things along with short preperation time why Tonga has struggled to reach the consistency Samoa and Fiji achieve. The Tongan Boards constant misuse of finances is another problem. As of now I think its Isitolo Maka who refuses to pick Nili Latu, Hale T Pole, and Epi Taione which is sad. Taniela Moa is another was selected in the PNC squad trained with Tonga the week before the opening game and then left. Probably warned by the NZRFU it would affect his super rugby contract

Tonga

You are right about Fisilau-slow to rucks.Check out the IRB website/tournaments/pacific nations cup and look at the videos.Kurt Morath was the leading points scorer in the tournament last year..He is currently playing for top team Eastern Suburbs in the Shute Shield in Sydney and playing very well.He forms a great combination with his older brother Daniel.Kurt is the new vice-captain for the Churchill Cup and Tonga.s chances in the World Cup will rest on his shoulders to kick the goals.run the team and set their backs in action.Their great forward pack should allow that to happen.Should they beat Canada and Japan,the decider for the quarterfinal place will be against France.I kow who I will be backing!
I haven't seen a lot of the Morath's, but if they can form a strong combination as you suggest they will likely be the best option for Tonga. I'm really hoping Tonga don't have to rely on Fisilau at halfback. He has all the skills, but he is very slow at arriving to the base of the breakdown, therefore prevents the team getting fast ball. As the game goes on he often doesn't even make it to the base of the rucks, meaning someone else has to play halfback (I would swear Simon Leamlu was almost the permanent Counties halfback in the latter half of games last year).

I hope that Tonga do use Koloamatangi at 7, as that will give them a good balanced loose-trio. However I suspect Maka will play at 7 (as he did on their end of year tour), with Vahafolau, Ma'afu, and Steve Mafi competing for the 6/8 spots - it will certainly gives them a good ball running trio, but would leave them a bit weak when competing at the breakdown.

You are right-on paper it is the strongest Tongan side ever.The question is-will they all turn up on the field.ie are they all available.

Eddie Paea is not a 10 option-not a great goalkicker anyway.As an ex-leagie,he is not a great reader of rugby union.He is at Eastern Suburbs Sydney this year and hasnt been able to crack 1st grade yet.Also plays centre in 2nd grade.Believe me.Moa wont be playing!

Koloamatangi will be 7-top season at the breakdown for Counties last year and we all know games are won and lost at the breakdown!Fatefehi is not a winger-lacks top end pace but he is a great 13.Top line breaker for Tonga in PN Cup last year-runs off Kurt Morath to perfection with an eye for the gap.Sorry North Harbour(Jeff Wilson)-you never used him properly last year.Vuna should make himself UNAVAILABLE!NO DEFENCE!Pakalani has pace and potential and confidence for a young guy.The World Cup could be the making of him!

Yea Kurt Morath is a world class goal kicker he had 94% success rate at last yrs PNC I watched Eddie Paea in a few games for Tonga A decent goal kicker and he attacks the line more than Morath. He set up two tries and kicked important goals to help Tonga Adraw 22 all against the Brumbies A as well as kicked a sideline conversion to beat the Reds academy.Morath probably has better defence though.

Ithink having Alipate Fatafehi and Kefu would be damaging. Fatafehi has awesome skills Iwatched him train during the PNC . Fatafehi also seemed to break the line at will.

Pakalani has openly stated he feels its too early to play for Tonga as it might effect his contract. Vili Iongi is another option hes in the Brumbies Acedemy, although hes denied calls from Tonga twice. The quickest at the Brumbies unlucky to have not played yet . Definately be seeing him in the next yr. Hope he makes himself available.

There seems to be some doubt about Kefu-see Toulon website news.

I thought Moa got capped by the All Blacks? Didn't he come on in a Tri Nations game a couple of years ago??
Also FINAU MAKA! Completely forgot about him! Where's Isatola?!!

Latest posts