TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
cooper-vuna_2588108.jpg

Tonga have included Melbourne Rebels winger Cooper Vuna and Waratahs lock Sitaleki Timani in their initial 50-man Rugby World Cup squad.

Tonga squad:

Forwards: Toma Toke, Mosese Moala, Taufa'ao Filise, Soane Longopoa Tonga'uiha, Siosateki Havea Mata'u, Ephraim Taukafa, 'Aleki 'Aho Lutui, Kelekolio Paino Hehea, Inoke Unga'anga Afeaki, Lisiate Fa'aoso, 'Emosi Kauhenga, 'Otenili Langilangi, Tevita Hale Nai Tu'uhoko, Viliami Laukau Vaki, Finau Maka, 'Osaiasi 'Alu-moe-Lotu Filipine.

Backs: Soane Patita Pat Boone Sioape Havea, 'Enele Taufa, Raymond Pierre Hola, Tevita Hemilitoni Tu'ifua, 'Epeli Taione, Joseph Wilson Vaka, Sukanaivalu Ikavuka Hufanga, 'Isileli Matakaiongo Tupou, Seti Kiole, Ualosi Kailea, 'Aisea Paseisei Havili Kaufusi, Vungakoto Filimone Lilo, Sione Mone Tu'ipulotu, Hudson Tonga'uiha.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6887624,00.html

Interestingly, the squad that is listed is not actually the 50-man squad; indeed it only contains 30 players. Upon further investigation it appears to be the 30-man squad that Tonga took to the 2007 Rugby World Cup! I haven't been able to find the actual 50-man squad, as every article on the internet seems to have this 30-man squad... hmmm, you would think that one of the rugby 'journalists' would have picked that up by now..... ;)

Good on Cooper he'll go well for Tonga no doubt.

Would've been good to see Lesley Vainikolo play for Tonga but he's with England and thats his choice, however Im sure he would've got more game time and international tests playing for Tonga. He may have gone for England for financial reasons and thats understandable, thats my speculation anyway.

Hopefully the Highlanders Vainikolo (I forgot his first name) will join the Tongan squad.

Tonga has got very good players all over the globe, if they can get them together they'll be a real force.

I have managed to find the actual 50-man squad:
1 Soane Tonga'uiha, Vaini
2 Sona Taumalolo, Ha'akame
3 Kisi Pulu, Leimatu'a
4 Tonga Lea'aetoa, Talafo'ou
5 Halani Aulika
6 Maleko Latu, Tokomololo/Ha'ateiho
7 Tukulua Lokotui, Ha'apai
8 Sitaleki Timani, Navutoka
9 Emosi Kauhenga, Folaha
10 Lisiate Fa'aoso, Pangai, Ha'apai/Kolonga
11 Paino Hehea, Vaini
12 Joe Tu'ineau, Fasi moe Afi
13 Sione Kalamafoni, Matahau
14 Sitiveni O. Mafi, 'Ahau
15 Josh Afu, Masilamea
16 Samiu Vahafolau, Ovaka
17 Finau Maka, Longoteme
18 Viliami Ma'afu, Kolovai/Longolongo
19 Sione Timani, Navutoka
20 'Ifalemi Taukafa , Fo'ui/Ma'ufanga
21 'Atonio Halangahu, Ha'alalo
22 Semisi Telefoni, Holopeka, Ha'apai
23 Ilaisa Ma'asi, Halaleva
24 'Osaiasi Koloamatangi, Pangaimotu, Vava'u
25 Samisoni Fisilau, Longolongo
26 Daniel Morath, Leimatu'a
27 'Etimoni Paea, Leimatu'a
28 Tomasi Palu, Kolomotu'a
29 Soane Havea, Ma'ufanga
30 Kurt Morath, Leimatu'a
31 Paula Kaho, Nukunuku/Matahau/Kolomotu'a
32 Tevita Ula, Kameli/Fasi
33 Viliame 'Iongi, Ha'alalo
34 Mafile'o Kefu, Longolongo
35 Andrew Ma'ilei, Ha'ateiho
36 Tomasi Sili, Haveluliku
37 'Alipate Fatafehi, Nadroga, Fisi
38 'Alaska Taufa, Ha'ateiho
39 Viliami Helu, Fasi
40 'Atieli Pakalani, Ha'ateiho
41 Tevita Halaifonua, Kolomotu'a/Houma Vava'u
42 Mateo Malupo, Sopu
43 Vungakoto Lilo, Ha'apai
44 Cooper Vuna, Hihifo
45 Siale Piutau, Kolofo'ou
46 Hudson Tonga'uiha, Houma /Vaini
47 Silivenusi Taumoepeau, Kolofo'ou
48 Taufa'ao Filise, Malapo
49 Sione Fonua, Ha'ateiho
50 Pasuka Mapakaitolo, Kolofo'ou.

Interesting to see the likes of Highlanders Halani Aulika, Joe Tuineau, and Siale Piutau the Chiefs Sona Taumololo, and the Waratahs Atieli Pakalani in the squad; they will certainly strengthen the squad. There seems to plenty of talent in the forward pack, and a lot of speed and power out wide - the key is going to be whether they have the halves to unleash the backline (and whether the backline can work well as a combination..)..

Wow Vuna can run, he has alot of power, just ran straight through the Blues Side...

I have managed to find the actual 50-man squad:
1 Soane Tonga'uiha, Vaini
2 Sona Taumalolo, Ha'akame
3 Kisi Pulu, Leimatu'a
4 Tonga Lea'aetoa, Talafo'ou
5 Halani Aulika
6 Maleko Latu, Tokomololo/Ha'ateiho
7 Tukulua Lokotui, Ha'apai
8 Sitaleki Timani, Navutoka
9 Emosi Kauhenga, Folaha
10 Lisiate Fa'aoso, Pangai, Ha'apai/Kolonga
11 Paino Hehea, Vaini
12 Joe Tu'ineau, Fasi moe Afi
13 Sione Kalamafoni, Matahau
14 Sitiveni O. Mafi, 'Ahau
15 Josh Afu, Masilamea
16 Samiu Vahafolau, Ovaka
17 Finau Maka, Longoteme
18 Viliami Ma'afu, Kolovai/Longolongo
19 Sione Timani, Navutoka
20 'Ifalemi Taukafa , Fo'ui/Ma'ufanga
21 'Atonio Halangahu, Ha'alalo
22 Semisi Telefoni, Holopeka, Ha'apai
23 Ilaisa Ma'asi, Halaleva
24 'Osaiasi Koloamatangi, Pangaimotu, Vava'u
25 Samisoni Fisilau, Longolongo
26 Daniel Morath, Leimatu'a
27 'Etimoni Paea, Leimatu'a
28 Tomasi Palu, Kolomotu'a
29 Soane Havea, Ma'ufanga
30 Kurt Morath, Leimatu'a
31 Paula Kaho, Nukunuku/Matahau/Kolomotu'a
32 Tevita Ula, Kameli/Fasi
33 Viliame 'Iongi, Ha'alalo
34 Mafile'o Kefu, Longolongo
35 Andrew Ma'ilei, Ha'ateiho
36 Tomasi Sili, Haveluliku
37 'Alipate Fatafehi, Nadroga, Fisi
38 'Alaska Taufa, Ha'ateiho
39 Viliami Helu, Fasi
40 'Atieli Pakalani, Ha'ateiho
41 Tevita Halaifonua, Kolomotu'a/Houma Vava'u
42 Mateo Malupo, Sopu
43 Vungakoto Lilo, Ha'apai
44 Cooper Vuna, Hihifo
45 Siale Piutau, Kolofo'ou
46 Hudson Tonga'uiha, Houma /Vaini
47 Silivenusi Taumoepeau, Kolofo'ou
48 Taufa'ao Filise, Malapo
49 Sione Fonua, Ha'ateiho
50 Pasuka Mapakaitolo, Kolofo'ou.

Interesting to see the likes of Highlanders Halani Aulika, Joe Tuineau, and Siale Piutau the Chiefs Sona Taumololo, and the Waratahs Atieli Pakalani in the squad; they will certainly strengthen the squad. There seems to plenty of talent in the forward pack, and a lot of speed and power out wide - the key is going to be whether they have the halves to unleash the backline (and whether the backline can work well as a combination..) ..

While the Morath brothers haven't shown themselves to be teir 1 standard thus far, i have to say they have looked bloody awesome as a 9/10 combination. They are both very clever players in isolation, but together they play so instinctively it really looks like Tongas best option.

If i were to select a side just based on what ive seen:

1)Sona Taumalolo
2)Ephraim Taukafa
3)Tonga Lea'aetoa/Taufa'ao Filise
4)Sitaleki Timani
5)Joe Tuineau
6)Finau Maka
7)Osaiasi Koloamatangi
8)Viliami Ma'afu
9)Daniel Morath
10)Kurt Morath
11)Cooper Vuna
12)Mafileo Kefu/Andrew Mailei
13)Siale Piutau
14)Atieli Pakalani
15)Vunga Lilo

The loss of Lutui and Latu will be huge but their propping options are great, they have options at 5/6/8 that would make most teams jelous, and their wings are genuine something-from-nothing try scorers. Worth a bet for an upset i'd say.

While the Morath brothers haven't shown themselves to be teir 1 standard thus far, i have to say they have looked bloody awesome as a 9/10 combination. They are both very clever players in isolation, but together they play so instinctively it really looks like Tongas best option.

1)Sona Taumalolo
2)Ephraim Taukafa
4)Sitaleki Timani
5)Joe Tuineau
6)Finau Maka
7)Osaiasi Koloamatangi
8)Viliami Ma'afu
9)Daniel Morath
10)Kurt Morath
11)Cooper Vuna
13)Siale Piutau
14)Atieli Pakalani
15)Vunga Lilo

The loss of Lutui and Latu will be huge but their propping options are great, they have options at 5/6/8 that would make most teams jelous, and their wings are genuine something-from-nothing try scorers. Worth a bet for an upset i'd say.

And not Tonga'uiha? I admit not having seen most of the players (or not remembering them) but Tonga'uiha has been really impressive. Also, no Steve Mafi?

And not Tonga'uiha? I admit not having seen most of the players (or not remembering them) but Tonga'uiha has been really impressive. Also, no Steve Mafi?

I dont know about Tonga'uiha. He seems like an identical player to Aulika in that hes a great runner but skimps on the actually prop duties. He can run the ball well but Tonga will have so many attacking threats they don't really need their props to carry the ball. Also i dont think Steve Mafi was in the squad.

15. Vunga Lilo (Bordeaux)
14. Afa Pakalani (Waratahs)
13. Mafile'o Kefu (Toulon)
12. Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels)
11. Siale Piutau (Highlanders)
10. Kurt Morath (?)
9. Samisoni Fisilau (Counties Manukau)
1. Soane Tonga'uiha (Northampton)
2. Ephraim Taukafa (Lyon)
3. Kisi Pulu (Perpignan)
4. Paino Hehea (Lyon)
5. Sitaleki Timani (Waratahs)
6. Steve Mafi (Leicester)
7. Finau Maka (Aix-en-Provence) (captain)
8. Samiu Vahafolau (Biarritz)

16. Antonio Halangahu
17. Sona Taumalolo/Taufa'ao Filise/Tonga Lea'aetoa
18. Joe Tu'ineau/Emosi Kauhenga/Lisiate Fa'aoso
19. Sione Kalamafoni/Viliami Ma'afu/Lua Lokotui/Josh Afu
20. Hudson Tonga'uiha
21. Andrew Ma'ilei
22. William Helu/Vili Iongi

where are the following missing players? Ma'ama Molitika, Nili Latu, Hale T-Pole, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Ita Vaea, Manu Ahotaeiloa, Aleki Lutui, Opeti Fonua, Epi Taione, Chris Hala'ufia, Sililo Martens, Pierre Hola. I reckon they could all get in the squad at least

However I think this is the strongest Tonga squad in my lifetime, and has not got worse from their successful 2007 squad, however I don't know if they have a good kicker like Hola, as that will be important as the minnows have to get all their points to come close to the bigger nations.

For the Tongan population size though that is a good amount of good players per population

15. Vunga Lilo (Bordeaux)
14. Afa Pakalani (Waratahs)
13. Mafile'o Kefu (Toulon)
12. Cooper Vuna (Melbourne Rebels)
11. Siale Piutau (Highlanders)
10. Kurt Morath (?)
9. Samisoni Fisilau (Counties Manukau)
1. Soane Tonga'uiha (Northampton)
2. Ephraim Taukafa (Lyon)
3. Kisi Pulu (Perpignan)
4. Paino Hehea (Lyon)
5. Sitaleki Timani (Waratahs)
6. Steve Mafi (Leicester)
7. Finau Maka (Aix-en-Provence) (captain)
8. Samiu Vahafolau (Biarritz)

16. Antonio Halangahu
17. Sona Taumalolo/Taufa'ao Filise/Tonga Lea'aetoa
18. Joe Tu'ineau/Emosi Kauhenga/Lisiate Fa'aoso
19. Sione Kalamafoni/Viliami Ma'afu/Lua Lokotui/Josh Afu
20. Hudson Tonga'uiha
21. Andrew Ma'ilei
22. William Helu/Vili Iongi

where are the following missing players? Ma'ama Molitika, Nili Latu, Hale T-Pole, Fetu'u Vainikolo, Ita Vaea, Manu Ahotaeiloa, Aleki Lutui, Opeti Fonua, Epi Taione, Chris Hala'ufia, Sililo Martens, Pierre Hola. I reckon they could all get in the squad at least

However I think this is the strongest Tonga squad in my lifetime, and has not got worse from their successful 2007 squad, however I don't know if they have a good kicker like Hola, as that will be important as the minnows have to get all their points to come close to the bigger nations.
For the Tongan population size though that is a good amount of good players per population

Kurt Morath is a very solid kicker, and if there is an injury Jonnie Moraths kicking is world class, so i dont think that will be a major issue.
Joe Tuineau will have his name all over the starting lock jersey aswell. He had the U.S and Fiji teams clamoring to get him, so Tonga must have made a few promises. He wouldn't look too bad in an All Black jersey either i'd say.
Cooper Vunas defense is way too dodgy for inside centre either, Piatau is a great 13 he should take it.

The one major ommission i forgot about is Taniela Moa, that guy could be the Tongan answer to Piri Weepu if he put his mind to it

Kurt Morath is a very solid kicker, and if there is an injury Jonnie Moraths kicking is world class, so i dont think that will be a major issue.
Joe Tuineau will have his name all over the starting lock jersey aswell. He had the U.S and Fiji teams clamoring to get him, so Tonga must have made a few promises. He wouldn't look too bad in an All Black jersey either i'd say.
Cooper Vunas defense is way too dodgy for inside centre either, Piatau is a great 13 he should take it.

The one major ommission i forgot about is Taniela Moa, that guy could be the Tongan answer to Piri Weepu if he put his mind to it

I thought I was the only one who liked Moa. He'd certainly be a handful in the WC, and he plays with a lot of quality opposition. Is he injured, oer just overlooked by Tonga?

I thought I was the only one who liked Moa. He'd certainly be a handful in the WC, and he plays with a lot of quality opposition. Is he injured, oer just overlooked by Tonga?

or turned them down for lack of money, and put his contract with the Chiefs in danger

1)Sona Taumalolo
2)Ephraim Taukafa
4)Sitaleki Timani
5)Joe Tuineau
6)Finau Maka
7)Osaiasi Koloamatangi
8)Viliami Ma'afu
9)Daniel Morath
10)Kurt Morath
11)Cooper Vuna
13)Siale Piutau
14)Atieli Pakalani
15)Vunga Lilo

I haven't seen a lot of the Morath's, but if they can form a strong combination as you suggest they will likely be the best option for Tonga. I'm really hoping Tonga don't have to rely on Fisilau at halfback. He has all the skills, but he is very slow at arriving to the base of the breakdown, therefore prevents the team getting fast ball. As the game goes on he often doesn't even make it to the base of the rucks, meaning someone else has to play halfback (I would swear Simon Leamlu was almost the permanent Counties halfback in the latter half of games last year).

I hope that Tonga do use Koloamatangi at 7, as that will give them a good balanced loose-trio. However I suspect Maka will play at 7 (as he did on their end of year tour), with Vahafolau, Ma'afu, and Steve Mafi competing for the 6/8 spots - it will certainly gives them a good ball running trio, but would leave them a bit weak when competing at the breakdown.

Sililo Martens is with Carmarthen Quins and is certainly not good enough to play for the Tonga anymore.

Latest posts