• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool C: Tonga vs. Georgia (19/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Tonga.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Georgia.png

Kingsholm, Gloucester (19/09/2015, 12:00)
Pool C, Round 1

Referee: Nigel Owens
23px-Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

Teams

Tonga: 1. Tevita Mailau, 2. Elvis Taione, 3. Halani 'Aulika, 4. Tukulua Lokotui, 5. Sitiveni Mafi, 6. Sione Kalamafoni, 7. Nili Latu (c), 8. Viliami Ma'afu, 9. Sonatane Takulua, 10. Kurt Morath, 11. Fetu'u Vainikolo, 12. Siale Piutau, 13. Will Helu, 14. Telusa Veainu, 15. Vungakoto Lilo,

Replacements: 16. Paula Ngauamo, 17. Sona Taumalolo, 18. Sila Puafisi, 19. Hale T Pole, 20. Jack Ram, 21. Samisoni Fisilau, 22. Latiume Fosita, 23. TBA

Georgia: 1- Mikheil Nariashvili, 2- Jaba Bregvadze, 3- Davit Zirakashvili, 4- Konstantin Mikautadze, 5- Giorgi Nemsadze, 6- Giorgi Tkhilaishvili, 7- Viktor Kolelishvili, 8- Mamuka Gorgodze, 9- Vasil Lobzhanidze, 10- Lasha Malaguradze, 11- Giorgi Aptsiauri, 12- Merab Sharikadze, 13- Davit Kacharava, 14- Tamaz Mchedlidze, 15- Merab Kvirikashvili

Replacements: 16- Shalva Mamukashvili, 17- Karlen Asieshvili, 18- Levan Chilachava, 19- Levan Datunashvili, 20- Shalva Sutiashvili,
21- Giorgi Begadze, 22- Giorgi Pruidze, 23- Muraz Giorgadze

Last edited:
I'm actually quite looking forward to this game. Tonga are ranked 5 places ahead of Georgia but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Georgia are going to win 2 games this World Cup, with this being the first.

Georgia XV

1- Mikheil Nariashvili (Montpellier/FRA - 28 caps)
2- Jaba Bregvadze (Kochebi Bolnisi - 29 caps)
3- Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont/FRA - 50 caps)
4- Konstantin Mikautadze (Toulon/FRA - 36 caps)
5- Giorgi Nemsadze (Tarbes/FRA - 51 caps)
6- Giorgi Tkhilaishvili (RC Batumi - 21 caps)
7- Viktor Kolelishvili (Clermont/FRA -32 caps)
8- Mamuka Gorgodze (Toulon/FRA - 61 caps) CAPTAIN
9- Vasil Lobzhanidze (Armazi Tbilisi - 6 caps)
10- Lasha Malaguradze (Bagnères/FRA - 51 caps)
11- Giorgi Aptsiauri (Armia Tbilisi - 10 caps)
12- Merab Sharikadze (Aurillac/FRA - 36 caps)
13- Davit Kacharava (Enisey-STM/RUS - 83 caps)
14- Tamaz Mchedlidze (Agen/FRA - 31 caps)
15- Merab Kvirikashvili (Montluçon/FRA - 85 caps)

16- Shalva Mamukashvili (Sale Sharks/ENG - 31 caps)
17- Karlen Asieshvili (Brive/FRA - 12 caps)
18- Levan Chilachava (Toulon/FRA - 24 caps)
19- Levan Datunashvili (Aurillac/FRA - 71 caps)
20- Shalva Sutiashvili (Massy/FRA - 49 caps)
21- Giorgi Begadze (Kochebi Bolnisi - 36 caps)
22- Giorgi Pruidze (Aia Kutaisi - 4 caps)
23- Muraz Giorgadze (Armazi Tbilisi - 7 caps)

Georgia are a couple of places behind Italy and Japan on the World Rankings and seem a bit stronger than Namibia. I think they could potentially be competitive in the first half of this match. Must admit, I know zero about them other than rankings, results and numbers. But the Tongans should have far too much slickness and prowess on attack. I think the important thing for Georgia is not to become too rattled by Tonga's physicality and big hits. I have no idea what Georgia's strengths are, but logic tells me they probably should just try to shift the ball quickly and not get into a wrestling/physical contest with Tonga.

Georgia should try and close down some of the main threats. Fetu'u Vainikolo - haven't seen him play in awhile, but he was lethal in speed when he played Super rugby a few years ago. Bagged 4 tries in the Pacific Nations Cup. Likewise, Sonatane Takulua at scrumhalf seems to have done well in recent tests for Tonga. Does anyone know if Sona Taumalolo is still at his best? He could potentially run riot.

I guess Tonga's challenge will be to not take their opposition too lightly, don't get lazy and play to their strengths/game plan. Make sure they play the way Tonga wants to play and utilize that talented backline. Tonga placed 3rd in the PC and struggled against Japan, so there is some hope for Georgia. But I think the men in red will run away with it in the second half.

Last edited:
Tonga :

1. Tevita Mailau (Perpignan/FRA)
2. Elvis Taione (Exeter Chiefs/ENG)
3. Halani 'Aulika (London Irish/ENG)
4. Tukulua Lokotui (Béziers/FRA)
5. Sitiveni Mafi (Western Force/AUS)
6. Sione Kalamafoni (Gloucester/ENG)
7. Nili Latu (Newcastle/ENG - captain)
8. Viliami Ma'afu (Oyonnax/FRA)
9. Sonatane Takulua (Newcastle/ENG)
10. Kurt Morath (unattached)
11. Fetu'u Vainikolo (Oyonnax/FRA)
12. Siale Piutau (Yamaha Jubilo/JPN)
13. Will Helu (Edinburgh/SCO)
14. Telusa Veainu (Melbourne Rebels/AUS)
15. Vungakoto Lilo (Montauban/FRA)

Replacements:
16. Paula Ngauamo (Stade Montois/FRA)
17. Sona Taumalolo (Grenoble/FRA)
18. Sila Puafisi (Glasgow/SCO)
19. Hale T Pole (unattached)
20. Jack Ram (Blues/NZL)
21. Samisoni Fisilau (Jersey/ENG)
22. Latiume Fosita (Doncaster/ENG)

23. tba

Georgia are a couple of places behind Italy and Japan on the World Rankings and seem a bit stronger than Namibia. I think they could potentially be competitive in the first half of this match. Must admit, I know zero about them other than rankings, results and numbers. But the Tongans should have far too much slickness and prowess on attack. I think the important thing for Georgia is not to become too rattled by Tonga's physicality and big hits. I have no idea what Georgia's strengths are, but logic tells me they probably should just try to shift the ball quickly and not get into a wrestling/physical contest with Tonga.

Georgia should try and close down some of the main threats. Fetu'u Vainikolo - haven't seen him play in awhile, but he was lethal in speed when he played Super rugby a few years ago. Bagged 4 tries in the Pacific Nations Cup. Likewise, Sonatane Takulua at scrumhalf seems to have done well in recent tests for Tonga. Does anyone know if Sona Taumalolo is still at his best? He could potentially run riot.

I guess Tonga's challenge will be to not take their opposition too lightly, don't get lazy and play to their strengths/game plan. Make sure they play the way Tonga wants to play and utilize that talented backline. Tonga placed 3rd in the PC and struggled against Japan, so there is some hope for Georgia. But I think the men in red will run away with it in the second half.

The forwards pack is strong.
Both props are probably the best Top14 players at their spots and their backup are also strong. Asieshvili is a regular starter with Brive and Chilachava overtook Castrogiovanni at tighthead at Toulon

At hooker Bregvadze played for Toulouse between 2012 and 2014 but had a sick neck injured and was back to Georgia. After more than one year of recovery he is back. Mamukashvili on the bench played for Sale Sharks last season but was also injured in February and was just back for warm up games. I hope both will be in full fit.

Locks : At 24, Mikautadze (the tallest and heaviest player in the squad) is each year more important in the Toulon squad. Last season he played 12 Top14 games and 1 Champions Cup game and also played for Barbarians against Ireland. Nemsadze plays in ProD2, he is a strong ball carrier and very important player in rucks. Datunashvili, vice-captain of Aurillac (ProD2) is on the bench.

The backrow is very rough with Tkhilaishvili at blinside, Clermont's openside Viktor Kolelishvili, superstar Mamuka Gorgodze from Toulon at number8 and Shalva Sutiashvili on the bench. Tkhilaishvili is a very good defender despite his small size (1,79cm), he was on trial for Leicester last november and according to the national team coach, "they loved him, but his English just wasn’t quite there yet". Kolelishvili is a very robust both in attack and defense but he is very undisciplined (5 yellow cards and 2 red cards - more than any RWC player - in only 32 caps). Gorgodze is a HUGE ball carrier and the key player of the team while Sutiashvili is a leader (captained the team last 6 Nations B).

Scrumhalf Vasil Lobzhanidze is only 18 years old and is already the first choice in the team. He will become the younger RWC player ever. His backup, Begadze is more experienced (36 caps).
Flyhalf Lasha Malaguradze plays in french third division. Khmaladze, usual first choice, is injured. Malaguradze tactical kicks are accurate but he is not a great attacker.

At centre, Sharikadze (22) is the regular starter since he is 18. He played in England for Hartpury College and Gloucester U19 and now plays in ProD2 since 2 seasons. Probably the most talented georgian back ever, also a strong defender (22 tackles last november against Ireland). His teammate Davit Kacharava plays in Russia and will play the Challenge Cup next year with his side Enisey-STM. Experienced with 81 caps, he is a very good defender who won a lot of turnovers

Wingers are young. Giorgi Aptsiauri born 1994 is promising but unexperienced. Mchedlidze (can also plays centre) plays for Agen, promoted in Top14 this year. Born 1993, 1m95 for 110kg he is powerfull but he lacks skills. 2 wingers are on the bench. Muraz Giorgadze and Giorgi Pruidze, both born 1994.

Fullback Merab Kvirikashvili is the most experienced player of the team. With 85 caps he will play his 4th RWC. He is totally irregular, sometimes catastrophic, sometimes genius. He is the goalkicker of the team (and holds Georgian top pts scorer record) but he can in the same game score a 55m penalty and miss a 22m kick in front of the posts

Thanks for that break down :) do you think Georgia are capable of keeping the score within 12? (Assuming you don't think an upset will happen). I Must admit I haven't seen Tonga play in a long time but I'm not sure if they're at their best right now. They definitely have some individual fire power in the backs though. I predict that opportunities will pay dividends and things start going right for them in the 2nd half.

Thanks for that break down :) do you think Georgia are capable of keeping the score within 12? (Assuming you don't think an upset will happen).
Yes, I don't see Georgia lose by 12 points or more but I'd say Tonga still favorites... I hope Kvirikashvili will be in a good day in front of the posts and Gorgodze will play at his best. Another factor is discipline. Both team are only teams from the RWC to get more than 1 card per game.

I Must admit I haven't seen Tonga play in a long time but I'm not sure if they're at their best right now. They definitely have some individual fire power in the backs though. I predict that opportunities will pay dividends and things start going right for them in the 2nd half.
Tongan backs are stronger for sure. But Georgia's defence is good. Last RWC they collected 90 pts in their 4 games, which is was better defence than teams like France (96), Tonga (98) and Italy (95). On average, their opponents (England, Argentina, Scotland and Romania) scored 22 pts against them.
Often, Georgia lacks shape from the minute 55-60. But they are well prepared with a 10 weeks training camp, including 10 days in the cryotherapy centre in Poland. Also, on average, the georgian team is the second younger team of the RWC (26.3 years old on average) while Tonga is the oldest (29.4 years old)

This game will be tense.. maybe not the prettiest to watch but we don't want pretty anyway... it will be rough and tough, Georgia should get the possesion and slow down the ball in the ruck with lots of pick&gos. If the Ref decides to call out the uneven throw in at the scrum than Tonga will lose the scrumming game. Georgians will look to capitalize from every free kick be it 50m or 20ms out, they will field 2 kickers (Kvirikashvili, Malaguradze).
their liability will be the #9 with the starting 18 year old likely to get tired by the end. the replacement scrummy is, lets say not the best on the world cup, he is only good at defensive work, not much else. Georgians might try to spread the ball across but I would advise against it as the chance of unfortunate mistakes will rise significantly and Lelos don't have many players who could catch those Tongan backs on the hoof.

Tongans will try to intercept the ball and counter quickly, they could exploit the relatively young/slow Georgian wings. There is a big chance that we'll see a breakout try from Tonga, On the other hand I expect Georgia to score from a Maul, perhaps even a penalty try.

In the end this one should go down to the wire, I fully expect us to be on the edge of our seats by the 80th minute... the clash of two completely different styles and cultures. It will be everything England v Fiji was not,

God help the commentator on this one with all those names!!!

God help the viewer with the scuffles and hits that will happen as the TMO takes three days to interfere with the speed and flow of the game.

Somebody in a grumpy mood tonight are they? :p anyway, I need Tonga to whip Georgia so I can stay in the contest for a million bucks!

ive gone with georgia to win by 3, got a feeling they'll edge it

Alright, I slept through the opener like an idiot (miscalculated the time difference, thought it was on at 2 p.m. my time, it was 12 p.m. and I woke up at 1:50 p.m.)

So this will be the first match I watch. I uh... have no rooting preference.

30 mins of buildup for this match, 20 mins has been full of England talk and Ireland talk - this is personally poor as I want to get a good idea of the Tonga and Georgia players

30 mins of buildup for this match, 20 mins has been full of England talk and Ireland talk - this is personally poor as I want to get a good idea of the Tonga and Georgia players
Agreed these games are more for the fans of sport than the causal watchers and I'm not interested in England over analysis I've done enough of that myself....

- - - Updated - - -

Great to see what looks like a sell out crowd at Kingholm. Important these matches are well attended.

I love national anthems at international sporting matches.

I also love Nigel Owens.

Edit: black with red shoulders vs. red? I'm gonna be so confused... I'm kinda drunk too... heh.

Latest posts