Waldrom to ditch Wellington?

S

Southern man

www.stuff.co.nz
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Waldrom could head south
26 July 2005 
By TOBY ROBSON

Wellington flanker Thomas Waldrom is considering a shift south in search of a regular starting place in the Super 14.

Waldrom's agent Rob Brady confirmed yesterday the 22-year-old was considering his options and had received interest from the Otago and Southland Rugby Unions.

Brady was quick to point out that Waldrom would be reluctant to leave his home town, but said he was in a tough situation behind All Blacks Jerry Collins and Rodney So'oialo.

"Staying in Wellington as far as the NPC is not an issue, but getting game time for the Hurricanes when you are sitting behind two All Blacks is obviously very difficult," Brady said.

"Jerry, Rodney and Thomas have been the last three New Zealand Colts No 8s, so Wellington has done very well to develop talent in the position, but unfortunately for Thomas he's now behind two All Blacks."

Rules prohibit players from talking to Super 14 franchises, but The Dominion Post understands Highlanders coach Greg Cooper is keen to bring Waldrom south.

The New Zealand Maori flanker's contract with Wellington runs out at the end of the year.

Wellington Rugby Union chief executive Malcolm Holmes said players would always assess their options.

Wellington was in negotiations with several players coming off contract at the end of the season, Holmes said.

"In Thomas' case (Wellington coach) John Plumtree has said he's extremely important."

That may be so, but NPC coaches do not pick Super 14 teams and many feel Waldrom's talent will be wasted if he stays in the Hurricanes region.

He started in just one match during this year's Super 12 and was used as a sub twice. In 2004 he came off the bench in three games.

Hurricanes coach Colin Cooper also has the luxury of calling on Kristian Ormsby and Taranaki's Chris Masoe, who moved up the pecking order with an outstanding Super 12 this year.

Waldrom has shown himself to be a player who prefers to be on the field than the bench.

He has consistently turned out for his club side, Avalon, in the Wellington club competition, while many representative players have chosen to rest.

Earlier in the season, the 108kg, 1.84m tall forward caught an early flight home from Suva after playing for the New Zealand Maori against Fiji in order to turn out for Avalon the next day.

Otago Rugby Union chief executive Russell Gray said he was unaware of moves to recruit Waldrom, but said his director of rugby, Tony Gilbert, may know more.

Gilbert did not return calls.

Southland Rugby Union chief executive Roger Clark did not return calls.[/b]

thoughts?

I would be quite happy for him to join us, but I would like him to harden up.

Yeah, I agree he does seem a bit "soft". I assume he wants to play number 8. That means he would have to push past Webb and Miller. How long do you think Miller will stay around?

Good old Otago at it again havent you got any depth down there?

We've also got the current colts number 8 in Fafili Levave and the one before him was Victor Vito from Wellington also. Quite safe to say Wellington produces the country's best number 8's...

I have personally played against Victor in my u-19's grade this year he is a pretty good player hard to stop and pretty quick, i managed to tackle him a few times though
<

Latest posts