TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_46391513_jonthomas_huw226.jpg

Ospreys and Wales back-five forward Jonathan Thomas has signed a new contract that will keep him in Swansea until the summer of 2014.

"I'm delighted to have re-signed," said the 27-year-old, whose old deal ran until the end of the current season.

The Pembroke man, who played all four of Wales' autumn Tests to take his cap tally to 62, was part of the original Ospreys unit and has 136 caps for them.

Ospreys boss Scott Johnson called the new deal "great news" for the region.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ospreys/9293014.stm

He signed because no one else really wanted him :lol:

Seriously...
"The next three years promise to be something special, and I want to continue being a part of it."

Seriously...
"The next three years promise to be something special, and I want to continue being a part of it."

Has someone informed him he didn't sign for Saracens?

Also, 60 odd international caps?! Seriously?

He's only been average for the last couple of years. He's been a mainstay in the Welsh team for years and has been a very good player. When he burst onto the scenes in '03, his main weapon was his pace and athletisism, not quite sure where that's gone, but it's probably because he's carrying too much weight. He's been shifted between backrow and second row recently, which isn't ideal.

I think he needs to demand to play in a set position (6 imo), loose a stone or so and work on his speed.

Has someone informed him he didn't sign for Saracens?

Also, 60 odd international caps?! Seriously?

Yep would be close to 80 odd now had he not been injured for so many!

I hope your being dam sarcastic about that!
What's sarcasm got to do with it? We've offloaded Gav, Hook and probably Byrne so we can afford to keep quality operators like JT. Good on the O's management says I. Shrewd business.

I hear Jezza, Holah and Adam are all off at the end of the season, too. Mind you, rumours about Huw Bennett signing for Castres are floating around, so it's not all bad.

Bloody hell.
If that were true then that's the backbone of the whole team gone. how many games have been won by Adams scrummaging, and Holah/Collins backrow partnership?
I could see Jerry and Holah moving on at some point but would've expected Adam to stick at Ospreys till the end

Cyril

Fill me in on Lee Byrne. Off contract or what exactly... Who is interested in him... Spill the beens.

He's only been average for the last couple of years. He's been a mainstay in the Welsh team for years and has been a very good player. When he burst onto the scenes in '03, his main weapon was his pace and athletisism, not quite sure where that's gone, but it's probably because he's carrying too much weight. He's been shifted between backrow and second row recently, which isn't ideal.

I think he needs to demand to play in a set position (6 imo), loose a stone or so and work on his speed.

Agreed entirely.

J Thomas is a 6 and a good one. He was outstanding for Wales vs New Zealand at Rugby World Cup 2003. I re-watched the match several months ago and was indeed impreseed with him. He worked very well in combination with Charvis at 7 and was surprizingly quick. With Collins at Ospreys he plays 8..... or even, as you say secondrow. Not ideal at all. Ryan Jones and Jonathan Thomas given second treatment to the two ex-All Blacks wouldn´t make me happy if I were Welsh.

He wants to stay at the club which seems like a good idea as the team has been good in recent years and is, of course, packed with Welsh internationals. His comments about the future of the club might be on target but they will need to replace a number of players and he needs to play in the correct position. For me it is at 6 but it seems 8 is where the WRU see him, or at least the coach.

An interesting comparison is France who wanted Damien Traille to play 10, so before this season started it was confirmed that he would be 10 for Biarritz. Since it didn´t work well in the AI´s Traille is back at 12 and now others are playing 10 for the club. Something like this for Wales would be helpful. If Thomas is to be 8 for Wales then he must be able to play there for Ospreys. The same is true for Ryan Jones. Is he 8 or 6 for Wales... Collins and Hollah should get less game time.

Anyhow, that great game is here.....

Hook is leaving though. Really bad seeing him being thrown in every backline position. He should be at 10. Biggar is not versatile but this is really a huge loss for Wales and Ospreys. Perpignan will gain a lot from him. 10 Hook 12 Mermoz 13 Marty is a very very good looking backline.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with JT is exactly what you said, Melhor, he had a great game in 2003 and BUT very average ones after.
There are better Welsh 8's [Delve], yet they seem to be ignored [Delve].
Hopefully with Faletau and perhaps Ben Morgan we will see improvement in that department.

Good servant to the region, puts in a solid performance always :D :D good to see he's committed, unlike some of our guys. On the Byrne situation (its probs already been said) but i read in the "rugby post" (or somin like that) that Mils Muliaina will be his replacement (any guys down under can fill us in on that??)... after the world cup obviously. Personally i reckon thats a better quality player "in" than "out". Rumours are rumours tho, so until we see pens to paper i guess thats all we can say. Anyways great news about JT, hope that Adam doesn't go tho, most integral part of the O's and Wales's game, arguably the best tight-head in world rugby, definitely in northern hemisphere :D

hope that Adam doesn't go tho, most integral part of the O's and Wales's game, arguably the best tight-head in world rugby, definitely in northern hemisphere :D

We'll see come Feb 4th!

(note: I'm only joking, before Cymro/any other welsh poster kills me, he is probably the best around :p)

We'll see come Feb 4th!

(note: I'm only joking, before Cymro/any other welsh poster kills me, he is probably the best around :p)

GAME ON!!!! I'm actually dreading that game now, really am :( :( wanna go and watch it (Take my gf cause unfortunately she's of "your kind" :p and aint been to the stadium yet) but club aint got back to me yet, so i think possibly a day in the pub in the 'diff me thinks. Ah well

GAME ON!!!! I'm actually dreading that game now, really am :( :( wanna go and watch it (Take my gf cause unfortunately she's of "your kind" :p and aint been to the stadium yet) but club aint got back to me yet, so i think possibly a day in the pub in the 'diff me thinks. Ah well
Oh eck son, avoid taking English girlfriends to rugby games! Trust me, I've been there! It doesn't end well... Unless you've stipulated a verbal contract involving the winner between the sides and oral sex ;)

Oh eck son, avoid taking English girlfriends to rugby games! Trust me, I've been there! It doesn't end well... Unless you've stipulated a verbal contract involving the winner between the sides and oral sex ;)

hahahaha now thats definitely something i should try and do.... winner receives :D :D Either way, i win :D :D hahahahaha

Latest posts