TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_50884056_sowden_taylor_huw.jpg

Wales back-row Robin Sowden-Taylor has announced his retirement from competitive rugby at the age of 28.

The Cardiff-born flanker joined the Newport Gwent Dragons in July after leaving Cardiff Blues.

Sowden-Taylor won eight caps for Wales following his debut in the win against Italy in 2005.

"After considerable deliberation I have decided that the time has come for me to pursue and develop new avenues for the next stage of my life," he said.

Having made his debut for Cardiff RFC in 2001, Sowden-Taylor went on to captain the Blues during the 2005/6 season.

He suffered a career-threatening ankle injury during a Celtic League match against the Ospreys in September 2006.

Although he successfully returned from injury, he found himself behind Martyn Williams and Sam Warburton in the Blues pecking order.

He joined the Dragon last year and scored two tries in eight games, with his last appearance against Gloucester last November.

"I have been a professional rugby player for over 10 years, I am proud of that and I have achieved my life long ambition of playing for Wales," added Sowden-Taylor.

"At the age of 28 I know that the time has now come to move forward with my life and gain new experiences whilst I am still younger enough to appreciate them.

"Rugby has given me so much pleasure and there have been many incredible highs in my rugby career such as playing for Wales against South Africa, the World Champions in front of a packed Millennium Stadium.

"I was also proud to be captain of the Cardiff Blues in their final game at the Cardiff Arms Park also. I would like to thank the Dragons for allowing me to pursue other career paths."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/9368491.stm

So he just got bored of rugby?
I saw him in town yesterday, if I'd read this beforehand I would have told him 'grow up, you ****!!' :p

Presume injuries has also been a factor in the decision!

Latest posts