• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 22 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dont think Gatland will read into this much and I doubt it will affect him in his Lions Quest! Just a bit of banter![/b]
Who cares about what Gatland thinks, its the fact that O'Connell wanted to respond that I find interesting. He's usually very measured in what he says so while It wont cause a rift between Welsh and Irish players, but it could be an interesting dynamic between Gatland and the players who's mental strength he publicly questioned.

That lack of respect goes both ways and O'Connell is a potential captain of that touring team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 22 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 22 2009, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The final penalty - looks clear Barnes awarded it against Best, not Wallace?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jgCCu4pj4I[/b]

At the time I was livid because Paddy did nothing wrong, but I think you are right Shtove, Best comes in from the side even though he will argue the ball was out. Look out for AW Jones sly hand on the floor as well before Best gets involved, could have gone the other way.
[/b][/quote]

He put his hands in the ruck and admitted as such after the match, the ref had blown before Best did anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 23 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 22 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At the time I was livid because Paddy did nothing wrong, but I think you are right Shtove, Best comes in from the side even though he will argue the ball was out. Look out for AW Jones sly hand on the floor as well before Best gets involved, could have gone the other way.
[/b][/quote]

He put his hands in the ruck and admitted as such after the match, the ref had blown before Best did anything.
[/b][/quote]
Barnes arm only went out when Best touched the ball. Then he blew. Generally, he blows! Doesn't matter, but that was waaaaay too close.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 22 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 22 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont think Gatland will read into this much and I doubt it will affect him in his Lions Quest! Just a bit of banter![/b]
Who cares about what Gatland thinks, its the fact that O'Connell wanted to respond that I find interesting. He's usually very measured in what he says so while It wont cause a rift between Welsh and Irish players, but it could be an interesting dynamic between Gatland and the players who's mental strength he publicly questioned.

That lack of respect goes both ways and O'Connell is a potential captain of that touring team.
[/b][/quote]

Don't think there is a lack of respect! You are reading into it to much, oh and don't po po things that aint there in my comment either e.g. Gatland's thoughts as it can be crucial for O'Connell as Gatland is one of the lions selectors!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 22 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 23 2009, 08:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 22 2009, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Barnes arm only went out when Best touched the ball. Then he blew. Generally, he blows! Doesn't matter, but that was waaaaay too close.
[/b][/quote]

Paddy claims he was only trying to create a bit of excitement!

Congratulations Ireland ! 

This is not very original to say it, but I'm happy for this generation of players, they deserved it after all this time. (and all these defeats against us ;) )

Oh dear Welsh media is having a field day as expected!

The BBC Wales News were particularlly entertaining :rolleyes: this lunch time

That's nothing. Some people are already calling for Gatland's head. Real Radio had a chat show on earlier saying a Welshman should be appointed head coach.

... Well, we all know what happened the last time we did that.

Ahhh I dont think they are in trouble, but I do think they need to improve (as do Ireland and Scotland) in order to Live with France and England next year.

I cant understand any doom and gloom but this kind of kick in the arse can benefit you as much as hurt you.

Mmm, what signs are there that England and France are going to leapfrog Ireland and Wales (admittedly, it wouldn't take much to do it to Wales at the moment) next year?

Oh are you talking specifically about Wales? In which case I agree.

well to be honest we don't know what shape Ireland will be in in terms of players possibly retiring after the Lions tour.

France are always capable of winning a grand slam as long as they get over their mental block with England, possibly a new coach may see to that.

Not too sure about England, potential is definitely there especially if they control their discipline, Saturday was definitely an improvement on that score.

Wales should be there or there abouts, tough for them having to go to Dublin but if they keep the nucleus of their squad and we don't I'd fancy them to take us, in fact they'd probably be the favourites now for the championship next season.

I think that Wales NOT totally collapsing after the GS pressure is testament to the staff. I know that's a mad thing to say but as a Welshman you can only be pleased that 5 wins was followed up by 3 more the following year.

I think that looking at the bigger picture, this tournament was excellent for NH rugby. I now have genuine hope that an Irish/Welsh packed Lions team can beat SA and once England and France buck up a bit we might have 3/4 teams competing with the Tri-Nations in time for the world cup.

At least I really do hope so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 23 2009, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think that Wales NOT totally collapsing after the GS pressure is testament to the staff. I know that's a mad thing to say but as a Welshman you can only be pleased that 5 wins was followed up by 3 more the following year.

I think that looking at the bigger picture, this tournament was excellent for NH rugby. I now have genuine hope that an Irish/Welsh packed Lions team can beat SA and once England and France buck up a bit we might have 3/4 teams competing with the Tri-Nations in time for the world cup.

At least I really do hope so.[/b]

Agreed

It's hard to put in your input after having not written an ounce on 24 pages, but i just wanted to throw my hat in and say how totally and completely wrong i was.
I think this concerns Cymro (correct me if i'm wrong) but Shanklin has proven me 100% wrong.
Totally and utterly made a fool of me.
I climed time and time again i called him "passed it" and other such terms. And boy did he make me eat my words!
And they tasted good believe it or not. Because had shanks not stepped up we would have been in trouble a fair few times.
Haha!
Good on ya shanks, you saved our backsides!

Latest posts