Wales v Ireland

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
wales.png
ireland.png

Wales v Ireland
</div>

Right the championship is on the line as these 2 sides face off in Cardiff on Saturday.

Ireland will be looking for their first championship since 1985 and their first grand slam since 1948, oh how we're sick of having to say that year in year out.

Wales know that a 13 point win will give them a 3rd Six Nations Championship and a Triple Crown to boot.

A win for Ireland and the grand slam is ours.

Tough one to call, could be a Welsh backlash following their failure to perform in their last 2 matches and they're always a danger when playing for something so confidence may not be that badly affected or we could get more of the same in which case Ireland should come away with the win.

Ireland's defence will certainly need to be on top form again as Wales will test us more than the other 4 teams have to date.

Some interesting selections for both coaches ahead of this one as well.

I suppose England have just anounced that they're back with a bang, all about the Calcutta Cup next weekend!

Home win by 13 points and O'Driscoll to retire after a post-match heart attack.

Wales to come out all guns blazing, Ireland to capitalise on an open game by simply being clinical and take home the grand slam.

Or, more likely, O'Gara chokes with his kicking game when the home fans get on his back.

Then either;

1. The entire Irish team (bar O'Driscoll) curls up and dies somewhere near walkabouts on St. Mary street. O'Driscoll can't do it on his own. Wales become champions.
2. The entire Irish team (bar O'Driscoll) curls up and dies somewhere near walkabouts on St. Mary street. O'Driscoll wins the game on his own. By 27,000 points. All Drop Goals.
3. The entire Irish team (bar O'Driscoll) curls up and dies somewhere near walkabouts on St. Mary street. Wales narrowly win but the <strike>1,000,000,000 Munster fans who were there in 1973</strike> <strike>Plastic Paddys for St. Pats day</strike> Irish fans have themselves to celebrate.

I'd bet on option 3.

Away win,

Wales to keep it tight for 60 then we pull away in the last 20 and win by 15ish.

Only way I can see Wales winning is if they shut it down like last year, treach warfrare style.

well I think we have the edge cause our pack has performed throughout the championship, there's been undoubtedly sporadic moments of brilliance from the Welsh forwards but they haven't been consistent enough whereas we have.

In life there are only two certainties. 1) That it will end in death. 2) That Ireland win in Cardiff. The Irish pack will bully their Welsh counterparts much like Italy, France and to a lesser extent England have done. Away win but it will be fairly close. Less than seven will be Ireland's winning margin.

Well I can only remember our forwards faultering against France, when they were brilliant. Italian game doesn't count because it was a second string.
At a neutral venue you'd have the advantage but you'll be in Cardiff. Use the club arguments all you want but the Welsh players are different animals at international level (and H Cup level on this matter, since you haven't really come up against Welsh opposition recently in Europe (a dismal Cardiff against Munster two years ago aside)).

Head to heads based on who I think'll play next week (on 6N's form):

1. Jenkins v Horan - Wales
2. Rees v Flannery / Best - Ireland either way.
3. Jones v Hayes - Wales
4. Gough v O'Ca - Ireland
5. Wyn-Jones v O'Co - Ireland
6. Thomas v Ferris - Ireland
7. Williams v Wallace - Wales
8. Jones v Heaslip - Ireland

9. Phillips v Stringer - Wales
10. Jones v ROG - Wales
11. Ikkel v Fitz - Wales
12. Henson v D'Arcy - Ireland
13. Shanklin v BOD - Ireland
14. Halfpenny v Bowe - Ireland
15. Byrne v Kearney - Wales

And I'm still waiting for Wales to perform like we did last year. Our best games have been in the final match since Gatland joined. Hoping for another reiteration of this fact on Saturday.

Latest posts