• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland

pack need to be on their toes though with Barnes in charge especially after he blew Munster off the park in the Montauban match.

Wales to win by less than seven. Irelands defence has been very good, so can't see a +13 score line in Wales' favour. Should be a hell of a game, I really pray I don't miss it!

well we've had the meanest defence in terms of tries conceded and only 1 point less than England, our discipline has been the best of all the teams, we've had the best pack in the championship so all things considered if those areas continue on a par with what we've seen then we've every chance of getting the job done. Still hugely nervous though.

Wales are probably still the best team in the NH, but thats the Welsh team of last year. That team hasnt really turned up this year for some reason or another, especially their pack.

Adding to that I cant see the <strike>Munster</strike> Irish pack bottling this one so I reckin they will go out and absolutely pummel the Welsh pack into submission. If the Welsh pack had fired at any stage in the tournament I'd consider it a possibility, but they have struggled for parity in pretty much every game.

Ireland to win the triple crown and the championship.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
pack need to be on their toes though with Barnes in charge especially after he blew Munster off the park in the Montauban match.[/b]

True. Actually hes the reason I'd get nervous.

Bugger I'm nervous now .............. Ahhhhhh were DOOMED!

on the flip side you could say they're due a performance which could well come on Saturday, then we'd really see what this Ireland side is made of.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 15 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
on the flip side you could say they're due a performance which could well come on Saturday, then we'd really see what this Ireland side is made of.[/b]

Good point! Ireland to win by 17.

Madness. I see it 50/50. So afraid/excited/nervous. How the **** did this team get themselves into such a good position after the shambles they were last year. Surely theres more than just the change of coaching staff?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 15 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Madness. I see it 50/50. So afraid/excited/nervous. How the **** did this team get themselves into such a good position after the shambles they were last year. Surely theres more than just the change of coaching staff?[/b]

Wales went from losing to Figi and picking up the wooden spoon to Grand Slam winners in 8-9 weeks. Damn right its the change in the coaches. Well that and the arrival of a few new players (Heaslip, Fitzgerald, Stringer, Ferris).

not just Kidney though, can't say how impressed I've been with the pack which is in no small part to the efforts of Smal and Kiss has done a great job with the defence.

Wales 19-23 Ireland

Williams is going to score in the first five minutes despite his foot clearly being in touch. Ireland are going to turn down shots at goal and go for the corner, and it will be worth it as D'arcy is going to crash over despite having BOD, Kearney and Fitz outside him. Stringer is also going to make a "one in a million" break from a scrum on the welsh 22 and score. From then on it is a kicking battle between ROG and Jones, both kickers come out with 100% records. Stringer Man of the Match.

It will happen.

with shots of the masses in Kiely's cheering the team on instead of O'Connell street!!!

... and turns his ankle, only for Wallace to be sprung from the bench to slot the winning kick with Kyle watching on in the stands.

Can't see the Ireland pack 'demolishing' Wales'. There will be parity scrum time (if not a slight advantage to Wales the way Jenkins and Jones are playing), then there'll be parity in the linouts, as both Wales' and Irelands have been pretty mutch rock solid. The breakdown will be interesting, but Williams always plays well against Ireland, and I think we'll all remember why Ryan Jones was nominated for world player of the year when he's back at 8, he showed when he came on v Italy how much work he does!

The only game this Wales pack didn't turn up in was against a supercharged French performance. Gatland made a mistake yesterday with his forwards, Yapp, Bennet, Dafydd Jones and Powell were appalling and won't be playing next weekend. If I remember rightly, Wales demolished Scotland up front and were in control in that facet against England. I just don't think Irelands front row is all it's cracked up to be, their second and back rows are though! Overall, I see a pretty even confrontation up front except for Martyn Williams, who'll be everywhere like always.

In the back's, I think Wales have the advantage. It's a pitty were left with the ponderous Phillips, but other than that Stephen Jones, Shanklin, Burne and Halpenny are all in good form. Shane is Shane and will probably pull out a performance when needed and Henson (who I'd start with) showed enough quality v Italy to remind us of the vision he posseses, whilst being solid defensively and strong going forward.

I really hope Wales are pumped for this. I've had enough of these wishy-washy performances.

Yes, Ireland are the strongest side we've faced, but I've had enough of Wales giving the opposition enough respect for them to roll in. They need to bully these from the off. Of course this probably won't happen but it's how Wales won a GS last year.

My Mum's an Ireland fan so a loss isn't the end of the world. Win or Loss though I want to see Wales PERFORMING in this Six Nations. In fact if Wales perform well and still get beat by Ireland then there may be hope for NH rugby yet.

The Wales Team HAS to be:

15. Byrne
14. Halfpenny
13. Shanklin
12. Henson
11. Williams
10. Jones
9. Phillips

1. Jenkins
2. Rees
3. Jones
4. Gough
5. Jones
6. Thomas
7. Williams
8. Jones ©

We can win by 13 but I'd settle for simply denying Ireland the Slam.

can't argue with that but what's the likelihood of Powell being kept in given that he wasn't even dropped for Rome, or was it a case of considering him a second string player for that match rather than one of the first string who happened to be starting?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 15 2009, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
can't argue with that but what's the likelihood of Powell being kept in given that he wasn't even dropped for Rome, or was it a case of considering him a second string player for that match rather than one of the first string who happened to be starting?[/b]
Well as I was writing that, my only worry was Gatland picking Powell, I think the others are starters, even Henson/Shanklin combo.

1. Horan
2. Best
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'arcy
13. O'Driscoll ©
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Flannery
17. Court
18. Ryan
19. Leamy (if fit, if not Quinlan)
20. O'Leary
21. Wallace
22. Earls

Is who I would pick, 100% faith in whoever DK picks though, even if just to please Shtove he picks Shaggy.

Latest posts