• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 16 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
While I think the Wales front three are better, I dont see this negligible supremacy having any real impact on the game overall. People have been slating Horan and Hayes for years, I don't see our scrum being made to look weak very often.[/b]

Gotta agree with that scrum time, but in open play there;s no comparisions imo. Jenkins is probably the best prop in the world in open play, his work rate is unbelievable, and amzingly Adam Jones hasn't been far behind this season. That's where Waes' superior props come into things imo.

If those two, along with Gough and Ryan Jones can keep Ireland quiet around the fringes (where Kidney likes to grind teams down) in the same way they have been doing to other teams, Ireland could find the going tough without their go forward momentum their used to.

No questioning Jenkins' loose supremacy, always been a great fan of his.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
If those two, along with Gough and Ryan Jones can keep Ireland quiet around the fringes (where Kidney likes to grind teams down) in the same way they have been doing to other teams, Ireland could find the going tough without their go forward momentum their used to.[/b]

I'd still fancy our back row lads to punch a few holes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bumbadum @ Mar 16 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd still fancy our back row lads to punch a few holes.[/b]

Ah certainly, with the quality Ireland posses there with Ferris, Wallace and Heaslip, I'd fully expect them to break the first tackle a couple of times. But as long as we stop them from doing it too often, and the covering tackling is good to stop any that do get though from getting too far, it would be a massive boost to Wales' chances.

The next thing, is too pressure O'Gara so he can't get his kicking from hand going and keep O'Driscoll quiet, Henson and Shanklin are up to that imo.

If we can then get our backline (who scored two good tries, and should have been 3 if Hook had passed the ball to Henson, in the 3-4 times they entred the Italian 22) into the game off some decent go forward ball, then were in with a shout.

I know it's alot of things to stop and do, but it's what we've gotta do to have any chance of winning by the 13 points required to 'steal' the championship, though I'd settle for just a win and the tripple crown, denying Ireland the Grand Slam at the same time.

O'Driscoll needs to avoid any distractions this time round in terms of a personal battle with Henson cause any time that approach has been taken O'Driscoll has flattered to deceive, needs to focus on the big picture for this one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Originally Posted by BBC606")</div>
And so the Celts of the valleys returned to their dragon-haunted land. They had beaten the Legions of Rome, and now they wished to rest their tired bodies amongst their people, but it was not to be. Word came of another Celtic tribe, one that lived beyond the sea, at the very edge of the ocean. They too had been victorious, over the wild Scottish Picts, and now, some whispered that they were unbeatable.

The valiant men of the valleys were angered by these rumours. Their Celtic blood was stirred by such baseless claims. Their great chief, Gatland, of the Long White Cloud Clan, and his lieutenant, Edwards, of the Hard as Bloody Nails Clan, went out to the very edge of the land, where the sea smashed against the rocks, and they hurled forth their challenge.

“COME AND HAVE A GO, IF YOU THINK YOU’RE HARD ENOUGH!â€

Their challenge sped across the restless waves and crashed against the shores of the Isle of Saints and Scholars. It shook the walls of the houses and uprooted trees, and deep within his fastness, Kidney, war chief of the men of the Isle heard the call. He went down to the shore and he gave his reply.

“OK,so! But we’re only a small island, and we don’t have the numbers that you have, and you were unbeaten last year, so I’d definitely have to make you favourites. But sure, we’ll do our best and see what happens.â€

Thus the challenge was accepted, and the people streamed across the land to the appointed place, for none wished to miss this clash of ***ans.

Heroes, not mortal men would stride the field this day. There would be Shane of the Dancing Feet,Gethin, Master of the Dark Arts, and Martin, Master of the Even Darker Arts. The Celts of the Isle would bring POC, their Ginger Monster, Ferris of the Mighty Hit, and BOD, so named by the Goddess, Dyslexia, KO?

Gavin The Handsome, dark of hair, and orange of skin, (sorry, I couldn’t resist), would be there, as would Jamie, Not-Before-You-Ground-The-Ball-You-Pillock. Phillips the Big would battle against Stringer the Small, and Byrne and Kearney would leap like salmon from the river to duel in the sky, high above the grasp of normal men.

And so it has come to pass. Two great Celtic tribes will battle for the prize. Only one question remains:-

Don’t you just love the Six Nations?[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 16 2009, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
bah you see the 606 and immediately that makes it not worth reading![/b]
I didnt read it, was it anygood?

Anyhoo. Ive reviewed my thinking on this one.

The bookies have the Welsh as favourites. Nathan Hines doesnt think we can do it. Haskell said the same after we play them. Kidney is talking it down. Havent any of them seen the World Rankings! Were effectively top of division 1a.

The press are building it up. Damnit the Irish press seem to think we already have it won, f***in gobshites.

Then again there is always bling optimism .......... yep that'll do.......... Ireland to win by 6.

Read it, just for the Kidney bit.

The press over here needs to cop on, we can talk about 48 and all that after we beat Wales,.

I'd love a big win here, but all I can see is us to win the Triple Crown and Ireland for the championship, and it'll be thoroughly deserved.
What ****** me off well and truly is that if we'd racked up the points that we should have (potentially, not on our actual performance) then we wouldn't have to worry about bloody point margins!!
AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGHHH!!

I was watching the 1985 match between Wales and Ireland in Cardiff on RTE over the weekend. Ireland won 21-9. Therefore, I think this Saturday's match is a foregone conclusion.

But ah sure! Let's just watch a bitta rugby all the same.

Lee Byrne doesnt think we'll do it (here)

neither does Andy Nicol (here)

or Brian Moore (here)

or Nathan Hines (here)

I'm actually struggling to find anyone (apart from Keith Wood) who thinks we can. Looks like Kidney wont have to play it down too much at all.

Wales Team:

Wales: Lee Byrne; Mark Jones, Tom Shanklin, Gavin Henson, Shane Williams; Stephen Jones, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Ian Gough, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones (capt), Martyn Williams, Andy Powell.

Replacements: Huw Bennett, John Yapp, Luke Charteris, Dafydd Jones, Warren Fury, James Hook, Jamie Roberts.

Well well well....no Halfpenny. I'm slightly less worried about your back three now. And Andy Powell keeps his place. Slightly less worried about your back row. and Henson in for Roberts. Slightly less worried about the O'Gara channel.

I'm very happy with the Wales selection :).

Jerry Flannery returns to the starting hooker's position after featuring as a second half replacement against Scotland for his fourth start of the championship, with Rory Best reverting to the bench for the game.

Jamie Heaslip, who made a try scoring appearance when coming on for Denis Leamy also returns to the starting team with Leamy also reverting to the replacements.

The final change is at scrum half with Tomas O'Leary coming into the side and Peter Stringer swapping places with O'Leary as back up scrum half for the game.

IRELAND TEAM & REPLACEMENTS (v Wales, 2009 RBS 6 Nations Championship, Mileenium Stadium, Saturday, March 21, kick-off 5.30pm):

15 - Robert Kearney (UCD - Leinster)

14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)

13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster) Captain

12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne - Leinster)

11 - Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock College - Leinster)

10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster)

9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin - Munster)

1 - Marcus Horan (Shannon - Munster)

2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon - Munster)

3 - John Hayes (Bruff- Munster)

4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster)

5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster)

6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster)

7 - David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)

8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster)

Replacements:
16 - Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster)
17 - Tom Court (Malone - Ulster)
18 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution - Munster)
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster)
20 - Peter Stringer (Shannon - Munster)
21 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)
22 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester)

So it's bback to the original team from the first three games except D'Arcy in for Wallace.

Perhaps Stringer can feel hard done but O'Leary does offer that physicality that may be needed against Philips.

Darce is a good call, we all knew it would happem sooner or later.

Best and Flannery was always 50/50 and Heaslip deserves his place entirely

O' Leary? for his defence i suppose. Fairly happy. Waiting for this match to come around is fooking agony.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Mar 17 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
O' Leary? for his defence i suppose. Fairly happy. Waiting for this match to come around is fooking agony.[/b]

I know. Ssaturday will be the worst. Sitting through 4 of the 5 lesser teams in the 6 nations before we get to see Wales and the greater team play will be true agony.

Latest posts