• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland

I don't know what will happen in reality but if we were in a Ron Howard movie......

*cut to Millenium Stadium, Saturday 21st at about 6:58pm*

Ireland are down 6 points going into the last minute of the game. Wales have possession and are threatening to score the try that would win them the 6N ***le. They've got a mismatch in midfield, if Hook can toss it out to Williams he'll surely beat Horan to score. But no! John Hayes makes the interception and runs in to score a try in the corner from his own 22. As he's rushed by his teammates he grabs his chest and falls over. It looks like he's had a heart attack. O'Gara has to take the conversion knowing his teammate is in serious trouble. With Welsh whistling in his ears and memories of past failiures in his mind, O'Gara looks to Declan Kidney. Kidney, expresionless, just nods and mouths "do it for the big man". O'Gara steps up with a newfound look of resolve on his face...he kicks it, it looks it's drifting wide...but it straightens out, hits the post...and goes through! Ireland win! O'Gara collapses in joy, the sappy triumphant music plays and it turns out John Hayes is in the hospital but is okay. Everybody lives happily ever after, except Jonathan Davies, who ends up in mental hospital, slowly rocking back and forth, whispering "numbers...numbers on the right" over and over to himself.

Dream with me people.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Mar 17 2009, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know what will happen in reality but if we were in a Ron Howard movie......

*cut to Millenium Stadium, Saturday 21st at about 6:58pm*

Ireland are down 6 points going into the last minute of the game. Wales have possession and are threatening to score the try that would win them the 6N ***le. They've got a mismatch in midfield, if Hook can toss it out to Williams he'll surely beat Horan to score. But no! John Hayes makes the interception and runs in to score a try in the corner from his own 22. As he's rushed by his teammates he grabs his chest and falls over. It looks like he's had a heart attack. O'Gara has to take the conversion knowing his teammate is in serious trouble. With Welsh whistling in his ears and memories of past failiures in his mind, O'Gara looks to Declan Kidney. Kidney, expresionless, just nods and mouths "do it for the big man". O'Gara steps up with a newfound look of resolve on his face...he kicks it, it looks it's drifting wide...but it straightens out, hits the post...and goes through! Ireland win! O'Gara collapses in joy, the sappy triumphant music plays and it turns out John Hayes is in the hospital but is okay. Everybody lives happily ever after, except Jonathan Davies, who ends up in mental hospital, slowly rocking back and forth, whispering "numbers...numbers on the right" over and over to himself.

Dream with me people.[/b]

Until the interception that story was going so well. :lol:

Mm, the first ever Simpsons episode was aired exclusively on SkyOne this evening before being shown to the Yanks (Take that FOX!), solely because of St. Patrick's Day.
If that isn't a good Irish omen I don't know what is. Well, catching a leprechaun, but let's not...

EDIT:^ Pfft. Unrealistic dribble. Kidney wouldn't say a word regardless of what Ron Howard wants. He'd just stand there like a stone, sucking the soul out of anybody who makes eye contact with him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In fairness, Ireland have overperformed if anything, given how shite they were last year...[/b]

As Wales did last year, well if you use the year before as the benchmark.

You know what. This is starting to sound like a Munster HEC thread. No one really gave them a chance, regardless of history, past performance and an ability to win playing fugly rugby.

Jesus lads 8 of the team selected for Saturday have been marching round Europe beating the living shite out of teams for the past 5 years, yet a lot of people still look at their performances and assume the next team will do what none of the others have been able to do so far. Played France, beat em. Played Italy beat em, Played England beat em, Played Scotland beat em. In each of those games (bar Italy) the opposition was supposedly unfortunate not to win it. Yet they didnt win it did they? Somehow the Irish eeked out enough to push ahead then shut the damn game down. Strange, I'm sure Ive seen that kind of plan before.

No one believes we can do it. All Wales have to do is turn up.

Sounds f*cking lovely to me :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 17 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fairness, Ireland have overperformed if anything, given how shite they were last year...[/b]

You know what. This is starting to sound like a Munster HEC thread. No one really gave them a chance, regardless of history, past performance and an ability to win playing fugly rugby.

Jesus lads 8 of the team selected for Saturday have been marching round Europe beating the living shite out of teams for the past 5 years, yet a lot of people still look at their performances and assume the next team will do what none of the others have been able to do so far. Played France, beat em. Played Italy beat em, Played England beat em, Played Scotland beat em. In each of those games (bar Italy) the opposition was supposedly unfortunate not to win it. Yet they didnt win it did they? Somehow the Irish eeked out enough to push ahead then shut the damn game down. Strange, I'm sure Ive seen that kind of plan before.

[/b][/quote]

Love what you are saying mate and you are right !

I mean that we all want (non irish) that ireland loose ...at least it will proove that this tournament wasn't so easy for our own team ....

(it is an answer for An Tarbh too) But very sincerely Ireland has same players since long time and we all know them . they are f***in good wtihout f***in doubt but they are missing what Wales have currently ...the magic of being able to beat great teams ...the magic of the moment ...don't misunderstand me ...Ireland can win this game and it would be deserved without doubt ...but Ireland has never surprised at the end ...Wales had already surprised people...So my choice is to Welsh , they have this Magic that can beat everybody on a perfect moment ^^

Edit : sorry Latin passionate post !

Edit 2 : An Tarbh...it sounds like my own original language , breton , celtic ...what does it mean ?

"but Ireland has never surprised at the end"..I meant "with this generation ! " (European diplomatic mode on ;) ) (Say YES , Say YES..) :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 18 2009, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 17 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Love what you are saying mate and you are right !

I mean that we all want (non irish) that ireland loose ...at least it will proove that this tournament wasn't so easy for our own team ....

(it is an answer for An Tarbh too) But very sincerely Ireland has same players since long time and we all know them . they are f***in good wtihout f***in doubt but they are missing what Wales have currently ...the magic of being able to beat great teams ...the magic of the moment ...don't misunderstand me ...Ireland can win this game and it would be deserved without doubt ...but Ireland has never surprised at the end ...Wales had already surprised people...So my choice is to Welsh , they have this Magic that can beat everybody on a perfect moment ^^

Edit : sorry Latin passionate post !

Edit 2 : An Tarbh...it sounds like my own original language , breton , celtic ...what does it mean ?
[/b][/quote]

An Tarbh is the Bull in Irish.

hang on a minute though, what great teams have Wales beaten that Ireland haven't?

Seems a bit counter productive in my mind so its either extreme arrogance on Gatlands behalf or extremely personal......

"If you ask the Welsh players, the team they dislike the most is Ireland."

Guess its personal then :)

does Kidney even need to give a team talk after that, you'll be sure he won't be feeding them anything during the week.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 18 2009, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Seems a bit counter productive in my mind so its either extreme arrogance on Gatlands behalf or extremely personal......

"If you ask the Welsh players, the team they dislike the most is Ireland."

Guess its personal then :)[/b]

makes a pleasant change doesn't it. I thought everyone in the world hated england the most.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 18 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

hang on a minute though, what great teams have Wales beaten that Ireland haven't?[/b]

Australia for example not long time ago ... It is my feeling , i know it is hard to read that about the team you support but i think this welsh team is able to beat everybody...

Thanks for the translation .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 18 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 18 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hang on a minute though, what great teams have Wales beaten that Ireland haven't?[/b]

Australia for example not long time ago ... It is my feeling , i know it is hard to read that about the team you support but i think this welsh team is able to beat everybody...

Thanks for the translation .
[/b][/quote]

right but we've beaten both SA and Australia on their last visits to Dublin, Wales' record away from home in the SH is as bad as Ireland's.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 18 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
right but we've beaten both SA and Australia on their last visits to Dublin, Wales' record away from home in the SH is as bad as Ireland's.[/b]

Yeah agreed but the 2 victorys of ireland was already sometimes ago and just after Ireland has not been able to go over the first stage in the World cup (and i read that SA came with an experimental side for the match they lost against Irish in Dublin and the weather was really really shitty on the match against australia...SA has been world champion just after ..Not that i want to put down these victories but the situation made it that it was not proper opposition....and maybe if Ireland would have lost these 2 matches , they would have won against france and argentina at World cup ;)) . It seems to me that Wales has played against a very strong australian team some months ago and has won quite prettily against it . it seems to me that Wales is improving its rugby as in the mean time , Ireland is staying at its level regarding the played rugby . Don't get me wrong , Ireland is able to beat Wales largely but if i have to say my feeling , i would say or feel that Welsh seem in better postion to win this game . It is more a story of feeling because if you look the result of the 2 teams against france , you could say that Ireland have more chances than welsh ...

To be honest I dont think any team in the NH has a record worth dissecting when it comes to playing the SH teams, but I have to agree with Bernard. The general feeling is, and should be that over the past two years Wales have played the better rugby and look more likely to beat the SH teams. Hence they are everyones favourites to win on Saturday (Just to update my list of pundits that think we wont win: The bookies, Nathan Hines, Brian Moore, Kieran Bracken, Warren Gatland, Lee Byrne, Geremy Guscott, Andy Nicol, James Haskell, Robert Howley)

For the record though, Jake White himself said that only two Irish players would have made his bench that day before they had their arses handed to them, and the weather was poor but its the same for both teams and we simply played Australia off the park that day. All minor points, but just to set your head straight on them.

I just feel as well though that making that claim is a little pointless as we've only both played NZ at home since the world cup, in both cases losing by 20 points but Ireland were shite whereas it wasn't the worst performance ever from the Welsh. Thing is though Wales haven't put the SH teams to the sword when they've come to Cardiff something they should be regularly doing.

Tarbh, the only game in which I can recall us not 'putting a SH team to the sword' was SA this Autumn. At least in recent memory. I could care less for how 'close' we came in '04. New Zealand are a gear better than every NH team (Except France when they click) and Australia are the SH side who any NH team can aspire to beat, and let's face it we hammered them; their only points coming from our stupid errors.

On Gatland: lulz. I love his arrogance. I'm sure after being sacked by Ireland many rainbows ago he's made it his sworn duty to get revenge on them... All the time.
The Welsh team hate them as much as he does, so I doubt the intensity will be any thing less than what we expect this weekend.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 18 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tarbh, the only game in which I can recall us not 'putting a SH team to the sword' was SA this Autumn. At least in recent memory. I could care less for how 'close' we came in '04. New Zealand are a gear better than every NH team (Except France when they click) and Australia are the SH side who any NH team can aspire to beat, and let's face it we hammered them; their only points coming from our stupid errors.

On Gatland: lulz. I love his arrogance. I'm sure after being sacked by Ireland many rainbows ago he's made it his sworn duty to get revenge on them... All the time.
The Welsh team hate them as much as he does, so I doubt the intensity will be any thing less than what we expect this weekend.[/b]

it's kind of pathetic that he's so bitter given what he's gone on to achieve since leaving Ireland, he should be grateful that we sacked him.

Latest posts