• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland

for the first time in my life, ever: COME ON WALES! I can't have another pesky celtic team getting a grand slam.

Basically, Ireland have looked distinctly average apart from the French game; as I see it they've got a quality pack playing with what is potentially a quality backline, but one that looks very boring atm.

They have plenty of scrum half options, but only Stringer is on form and he's limited.

O'Gara is the one and only 10, and he's looked dreadful. He's the most experienced 10 in world rugby and he's still missing simple kicks.

The back 3 has fantastic potential but has thus far failed to deliver. Bowe is capable of nice touches, but he'll never open a good defence up as he lacks pace, and his offloads have gone nowhere recently. Fitzgerald looks like a very nice player, picking great angles and with good speed; he needs to be used more than he is currently. Kearney is very overrated and so far in the 6N has offered nothing but solid defensive work, even if he is capable of more.

The centres aren't sorted as well. O'Driscoll is a world class centre, in his best form as captain and carrying the backline (the main points scoring unit in a rugby team.) But inside, Wallace has looked decent defensively but not great going forward; D'Arcy is a lovely player but I fear he's still got to properly regain form following his injuries.

So, predictions:

The scrums should be evens. Ireland should rule the lineout. And Wallace vs Williams will be the key battle.

If Wallace comes out on top then I can see the Irish pack heavily dominant, and then it will be down to O'Driscoll (perhaps even O'Gara!) to put points on the board and win the Grand Slam.

If Williams spoils all the Irish quick ball then I can see Wales edging it because they certainly have the ability to break down defences and score tries.

21-15 to Wales.

I think Wales have their chances . Ireland have done average matches until now (apart the one against France which was quite good ) and i don't feel them able to really change their game speed and put a real fire in the welsh defense . they will be in teh same situation as France with not too much pressure as Wales will have a little bit more pressure as they are after a defeat and a tiny victory against Italy (eventhough it wasn't the full welsh team ...) . i'm seeing a tough match with wales making the difference with a bigger fighting spirit at the end of the match . I think the youth , the motivation of the quite young welsh team and the support of the public will make the difference at the end .

I would be glad for Ireland if they make it as this great generation (o'driscoll , o'gara , stringer ...) deserves it but i don't feel it well for Ireland , Wales has more weapons from my french eyes !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Mar 17 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wales Team:

Wales: Lee Byrne; Mark Jones, Tom Shanklin, Gavin Henson, Shane Williams; Stephen Jones, Mike Phillips; Gethin Jenkins, Matthew Rees, Adam Jones, Ian Gough, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones (capt), Martyn Williams, Andy Powell.

Replacements: Huw Bennett, John Yapp, Luke Charteris, Dafydd Jones, Warren Fury, James Hook, Jamie Roberts.[/b]

so Powell is there after all, what does he need to do to be dropped, Jones to me looks a far better prospect at no. 8 but in fairness he's been playing at 6 all season and it's not been his worst season by any stretch of the imagination so understandable to that extent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 17 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Wales have their chances . Ireland have done average matches until now (apart the one against France which was quite good ) and i don't feel them able to really change their game speed and put a real fire in the welsh defense . they will be in teh same situation as France with not too much pressure as Wales will have a little bit more pressure as they are after a defeat and a tiny victory against Italy (eventhough it wasn't the full welsh team ...) . i'm seeing a tough match with wales making the difference with a bigger fighting spirit at the end of the match . I think the youth , the motivation of the quite young welsh team and the support of the public will make the difference at the end .

I would be glad for Ireland if they make it as this great generation (o'driscoll , o'gara , stringer ...) deserves it but i don't feel it well for Ireland , Wales has more weapons from my french eyes ![/b]

well Saturday was proof that we're more than capable of upping the intensity.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Mar 17 2009, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jerry Flannery returns to the starting hooker’s position after featuring as a second half replacement against Scotland for his fourth start of the championship, with Rory Best reverting to the bench for the game.

Jamie Heaslip, who made a try scoring appearance when coming on for Denis Leamy also returns to the starting team with Leamy also reverting to the replacements.

The final change is at scrum half with Tomas O’Leary coming into the side and Peter Stringer swapping places with O’Leary as back up scrum half for the game.[/b]

Surprised to see O'Leary there, if ever Stringer was more suited to a game than I would have thought it's this one.

Best/Flannery is a 50/50 call so I can live with that, but O'Leary is a strange one for me.

Some people are saying it is because of Phillips which is nonsense! Every time Strings and Phillips have gone head to head Strings has always looked comfortably better. Maybe TOL is there to help baysit ROG if Wally is going to be preoccupied like against France?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 17 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Some people are saying it is because of Phillips which is nonsense! Every time Strings and Phillips have gone head to head Strings has always looked comfortably better. Maybe TOL is there to help baysit ROG if Wally is going to be preoccupied like against France?[/b]

but Stringer isn't exactly renowned for being a defensive liability.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 17 2009, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bernard @ Mar 17 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would be glad for Ireland if they make it as this great generation (o'driscoll , o'gara , stringer ...) deserves it but i don't feel it well for Ireland , Wales has more weapons from my french eyes ![/b]

well Saturday was proof that we're more than capable of upping the intensity.
[/b][/quote]
Just to be very arrogant, we aren't Scotland. We're more than capable of matching and raising the intensity of the game entirely if we put in our best game so far.

Not too worried about the selections. Mark Jones is solid defensively, and Halfpenny got exposed against France. Powell has been given one last chance and he needs to deliver. Up against the form backrow of the competition he has it all against him but he's more than capable of doing it in the Millenium Stadium without Joe 'one-trick pony' Worsley there.

If we are more than a score in front with within the last hour, then I think Irish heads will drop and we might be able to sneak a score to steal every thing from them aswell, which would be the grandest of all slams in my opinion. :D
Still no real doubt about the result for me.

EDIT: On Stringer and Phillips, Mike has only come into his own internationally within the last year, so comparing past performances against Stringer is daft.
With Munster... Well, international level isn't club level etc ad nauseam...

Stringers is an ok defender, but there is no comparision between him and Tomás. O'Leary is in the team for cover defence like this I think.

still think we need Stringer's passing against the rush defence of Wales more than we need O'Leary's defensive work, Stringer is more than willing to put his body on the line, saw that in that Dragons Munster match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just to be very arrogant, we aren't Scotland. We're more than capable of matching and raising the intensity of the game entirely if we put in our best game so far[/b]

No you're not. And how dare you impliy that that measly principality can be anywhere near the best team in the world. And at this, the time of year when everyone who's ever know-a-chap-who's-met-a-chap-who's-know-a-fellow-who's-uncle's-met-a-guy-in-the-pub-who's-auntie-once-bought-a-dog from someone Irish indeed think of themself as shightly Paddy, the world will naturally be cheering on the plucky, lovable men in green. Then you nasty sheep shaggers will crumble under the worldwide chorus of "booo".

And didn't you see from all those amazing performances so far this year? They've already won the Grand Slam. It's merely a case of collecting their reward. They've certainly told you enough times.

And Naturally, Munster already have the HEC in the bag.

*ahem*

Id have given Stringer a chance myself, we could really use quicker delivery in this one than OLeary has offered so far, and its not like hes made up for that by dazzling in other areas either.

Might as well poke yourself in the eye a lot as discuss which team is better though, theres nothing between them in my opinion, both are top drawer, capable of world class rugby and have underperformed in all their matches so far.

In fairness, Ireland have overperformed if anything, given how shite they were last year...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In fairness, Ireland have overperformed if anything, given how shite they were last year...[/b]

yeah cause last year was a true reflection on the status of Irish rugby just as it was on Welsh rugby!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 17 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 17 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
must try harder :rolleyes:[/b]

fine, we just want to knock the chip off the Irish shoulder that's been there ever since they joined the Euro.
[/b][/quote]

so that's where it came from, good to know it's not entirely our fault then.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 17 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In fairness, Ireland have overperformed if anything, given how shite they were last year...[/b]

yeah cause last year was a true reflection on the status of Irish rugby just as it was on Welsh rugby!
[/b][/quote]
Well yeh it was... Players ageing... Legends underperforming... Youngsters not stepping up...
Then this season rolls along and you're on course for a GS and looking pretty solid. The only thing that's not changed is ROG.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 17 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 17 2009, 06:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Well yeh it was... Players ageing... Legends underperforming... Youngsters not stepping up...
Then this season rolls along and you're on course for a GS and looking pretty solid. The only thing that's not changed is ROG.
[/b][/quote]

ah so Kidney and Smal are EOS and O'Donnovan in disguise, thanks for telling me :p

Ireland have hardly been world beaters but Kidney has got them winning consistenly - the mark of a good team.

And you should have read the 606 post An Tarbh. It's worth reading. And I know 606 is balls but you'll like it :D

This is the match that splits my family in two - the two clans, the Welsh side and the Irish side.

Plus I live in Scotland!

Latest posts