• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 16 2009, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Horan
2. Best
3. Hayes
4. O'Callaghan
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. Stringer
10. O'Gara
11. Fitzgerald
12. D'arcy
13. O'Driscoll ©
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Flannery
17. Court
18. Ryan
19. Leamy (if fit, if not Quinlan)
20. O'Leary
21. Wallace
22. Earls

Is who I would pick, 100% faith in whoever DK picks though, even if just to please Shtove he picks Shaggy.[/b]

no arguments really but I wouldn't be surprised if Leamy and Heaslip swapping places, again depending on his fitness, is the only change we see to the 22. With Court we're already limited with one sub, so why limit yourself or potentially handicap yourself by going with MOD and Murphy over Ryan and Earls. Still though have to keep faith, he hasn't led us wrong so far.

I think Powell and Thomas starting v Italy was to see which one played themselves into the starting lineup v Ireland. Jonathan Thomas wasn't great, but Powell was rubbish, and for that it's him who'll drop to the bench imo.

Just watched scum v on iPlayer and it was interesting to see Gwyn Jones' analysis on O'Gara, Ireland are using Wallace as a babysitter for the poor lad, if we can draw Wallace away from O'Gara's side and attack him with Shanklin/Henson/Roberts, we should easily cross the gain line and score some points. That obviously means a big game up front, attacking around the fringes of rucks so Wallace doesn't have the luxury of standing in midfield.

Agree with SmokeyMonkey on the team, and the bench should be:

16 John Yapp
17 Huw Bennet
18 Luke Cherteris
19 Andy Powell
20 Warren Fury
21 James Hook
22 Jamie Roberts

Mike Phillips better not get himself injured, or we'll be in big trouble as Warren Fury isn't up to a match like this!

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Matthew Rees
3. Adam Jones

4. Ian Gough
5. Alan Wyn Jones

6. Jonathon Thomas
7. Martyn Williams
8. Ryan Jones

9. Mike Phillips
10. Stephen Jones

12. Gavin Henson
13. Tom Shanklin

11. Shane Williams
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Lee Byrne

16. John Yapp
17. Huw Bennet
18. Bradley Davies [I hate Charteris]
19. Andy Powell
20. Warren Furry
21. James Hook
22. Jamie Roberts

Don't think ill be far off with that selection

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 16 2009, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think Powell and Thomas starting v Italy was to see which one played themselves into the starting lineup v Ireland. Jonathan Thomas wasn't great, but Powell was rubbish, and for that it's him who'll drop to the bench imo.

Just watched scum v on iPlayer and it was interesting to see Gwyn Jones' analysis on O'Gara, Ireland are using Wallace as a babysitter for the poor lad, if we can draw Wallace away from O'Gara's side and attack him with Shanklin/Henson/Roberts, we should easily cross the gain line and score some points. That obviously means a big game up front, attacking around the fringes of rucks so Wallace doesn't have the luxury of standing in midfield.[/b]

Yeah, I saw that.

They also noted that Ireland are using the new lineout laws by putting 5 to 4 in. I hope Wales keep the ball in field!

My nerves are going to be shot by the weekend, but looking forward to it. Hope Deccie goes with Heaslip and Stringer, never been the biggest fan of Strings but we need reliability in there for now and Olearys just been way too hot and cold (luke warm and cold really). I'm 50/50 on the Darcy/Wallace call so dont mind much about who gets that spot.

Not expecting many points, i'm guessing the try count will be one apeice or maybe 2:1 - penalties will win the day and as long as Ogara keeps his feet that spells an Ireland slam.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Mar 16 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 15 2009, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'll come down to a penalty in overtime. ROG steps up ...[/b]

Just like Twickenham on the 27th May, 2000... :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]

Wilkinson slotted a drop goal in the World Cup final in 2003, so that makes him better than any fly half in the world today no?

facepalm4.jpg

It's about as relevant, why bring up a game from nearly 10 years ago? Why not bring up some more recent Heineken Cup finals? O'Gara is 100% in his last two isn't he? Or is it a case of if it doesn't support my argument it never happened? :rolleyes:

I demand you close the entire forum so no rugby is discussed until post-game on Saturday.
Come on! I command you! :rahh:

I don't rate the Welsh as highly as some. The way I see it is they have two class backs, Williams and Byrne, rest are average-good cept Shanklin who's highly effective but pales in comparison to BOD. Half backs are nothing special, Jones is an excellent player but not one that hurts you, Phillips is rugged but his passing aint up to scratch. In the forwards, their props is where they have a real advantage over us, hooker nothing specail. Seconds rows will be destroyed by O'connell and O'Callaghan, though Wyn Jones looks promising. Back row will be strong with Williams and Jones, though anyone who loves rugby would take Wallace over cheating Williams. Powell is a clown.

We aint all that great either but overall we're superior and have the greather incentive..

and its bloody WALES for good sake.. ;)

*Puts on Jeremy Guscott mask* AND WITHOUT BRIAN O'DRISCOLL, IRELAND HAVE NOBODY! */Jeremy Guscott*

And it's bloody IRELAND for goodness sake. <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sussudio @ Mar 16 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't rate the Welsh as highly as some. The way I see it is they have two class backs, Williams and Byrne, rest are average-good cept Shanklin who's highly effective but pales in comparison to BOD. Half backs are nothing special, Jones is an excellent player but not one that hurts you, Phillips is rugged but his passing aint up to scratch. In the forwards, their props is where they have a real advantage over us, hooker nothing specail. Seconds rows will be destroyed by O'connell and O'Callaghan, though Wyn Jones looks promising. Back row will be strong with Williams and Jones, though anyone who loves rugby would take Wallace over cheating Williams. Powell is a clown.

We aint all that great either but overall we're superior and have the greather incentive..

and its bloody WALES for good sake.. ;)[/b]

Nice attempt at a wind up.

But you can talk. You are Irish. You've got more wooden spoons than ... you've got a lot of wooden spoons! ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Mar 16 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sussudio @ Mar 16 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and its bloody WALES for good sake.. ;)[/b]

Nice attempt at a wind up.

But you can talk. You are Irish. You've got more wooden spoons than ... you've got a lot of wooden spoons! ;)
[/b][/quote]

well we've none in the Six Nations which is more than I can say for some :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Mar 15 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I can only remember our forwards faultering against France, when they were brilliant. Italian game doesn't count because it was a second string.
At a neutral venue you'd have the advantage but you'll be in Cardiff. Use the club arguments all you want but the Welsh players are different animals at international level (and H Cup level on this matter, since you haven't really come up against Welsh opposition recently in Europe (a dismal Cardiff against Munster two years ago aside)).

Head to heads based on who I think'll play next week (on 6N's form):

1. Jenkins v Horan - Wales
2. Rees v Flannery / Best - Ireland either way.
3. Jones v Hayes - Wales
4. Gough v O'Ca - Ireland
5. Wyn-Jones v O'Co - Ireland
6. Thomas v Ferris - Ireland
7. Williams v Wallace - Wales
8. Jones v Heaslip - Ireland

9. Phillips v Stringer - Wales
10. Jones v ROG - Wales
11. Ikkel v Fitz - Wales
12. Henson v D'Arcy - Ireland
13. Shanklin v BOD - Ireland
14. Halfpenny v Bowe - Ireland
15. Byrne v Kearney - Wales

And I'm still waiting for Wales to perform like we did last year. Our best games have been in the final match since Gatland joined. Hoping for another reiteration of this fact on Saturday.[/b]

you do realise though that it'll be Jones against Horan and Hayes going up against Jenkins, either way there's still nothing between the 2 front rows for me.

While I think the Wales front three are better, I dont see this negligible supremacy having any real impact on the game overall. People have been slating Horan and Hayes for years, I don't see our scrum being made to look weak very often.

I feel a bit like a stuck record defending the Ireland scrum over the last 2 seasons.

Latest posts