• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Italy

Italy can win this one - they bossed England about for two quarters without creating chances, whereas Wales took late chances against England and only bossed the match in the last ten minutes. If Mallet stumbles across a good backline selection there may be fireworks.

Gatland is smart to stick with the half backs who finished the Scotland match. And I see he's emphasising lineout and scrum, lineout and scrum. Looking good for Wales' future.

Obviously it will be Marcato or Galon... I would like to now see Marcato at 10 for sure and maybe Galon can play at 15 and Masi at 11.

Obviously it will be Marcato or Galon... I would like to now see Marcato at 10 for sure and maybe Galon can play at 15 and Masi at 11. [/b]
Galon doesn't kick penalties

goalkicker can only be Marcato or Buso in this squad

Robertson injured too (2-3 weeks out), Nitoglia has been recalled

it's actually the most "italian" squad (from a "rugby formation" point of view) since a long time...

What do you expect the backs line-up to be danit?

9. Picone
10. Marcato
11. Masi
12. Mi. Bergamasco
13. Galon

14. Nitoglia
15. Canale

That would be mine.

[/b]
that's what I expect
9. Picone
10. Marcato
11. Sgarbi
12. Mi. Bergamasco
13. Canale
14. Nitoglia
15. Masi

but I'd prefer:
9-10-11: ok
12. Masi
13. Mi. Bergamasco
14. Canale
15. Galon

9. Picone
10. Marcato
11. Masi
12. Mi. Bergamasco
13. Galon

14. Nitoglia
15. Canale

That would be mine.
[/b]

I can see the bonus of having Canale at full-back. Masi should play IC, Bergamasco should play OC. The only problem is Galon, Italy have been low on the kicking options and putting Galon out on the wing doesn't give an extra kicking option (bringing him inside makes it too painfully obvious). I believe his primary position is full-back anyway, so he can play there and offer the kicking option, both on the defence and offence. Canale is a better winger anyway.

I can also see why it is in Mallet's best interest to keep Mi. Bergamasco at 12 and Canale at 13... then after this he can work around these two. I say this becaue they have been the centre pair for a few years now and play a high pressing gameplan. I would like to see Sgarbi and Nitoglia given the wing job. Its not as if Robertson, Galon or Canovosio really impressed us so much in the first two games so lets see what these guys have to offer. Masi at fb is a bit of a bonus. He is solid in this position, althoough as I stated before swapping Masi with Canale is an option.

The only problem I have is with Rhys Thomas at prop. he may have problems in the Italian scrum.
Otherwise it's ok. Tom James deserves a start, but this is a must-win game, he'd probably be best to start in the Summer and Autumn matches this year. [/b]

Rhys Thomas is a poor man's tighthead! He only thing this man can do is play in the loose! His scrummaging has been poor for the last two seasons, his last game in a Wels shirt was embarassing as CJ Van der Linder sorted him out!

Dont think we will see Tom now! Tom is not the finished article but has speed to burn and I felt only Shane Williams has the pace currently on the wing, Roberts is nippy mind you! Mark Jones will be under pressure to deliver and it may bring the best out of him. But you never know!

I reckon this game will go either of 3 ways!

1. Wales batter Italy
2. Italy outplay us
3. Tight game where we just nip it!

By no means is this game an easy win, far from it, with Bortalami back the pack will be strong! Wales will need to target the Italian half back pairing me thinks! From waht Ive seen of Italies no 9 he aint Troncon and he looks defensively week, hopefully the lads can take advantage of this.

Good to see that Gatlan has started Geth Jenks as he is our best prop, but going back to Rhys Thomas decision, id rather see Yapp and 1 and Jenks at 3. But that's just me. To be fair I am impressed with Adam Jones, his work rate is phenominal! He might look overwight but this bloke is a fit fat bloke and hats off to him for getting fit, I expect him to be as slim as Shanklin by next season :D . I feel Rees is probably the best hooker for this game as he adds more around the park than Bennett but Rees lineout throwing is poor and any mistakes that he makes will lead to an Italian counter which could prove costly!

For anyone who wants to know why Hook was dropped is the fact that Gatlan likes playing halfbacks from the same club! He did this at Ireland! I think Peel and Jones are a good steady combo for Wales where as Phillips and Hook can come on at the end of a game and spark things and turn things around! To me Gatlan has got this spot on!

My prediction is of a closely fought battle with Wales just nipping it because they are home. However and I must stress this underestimate the Italian's at your peril!

The problem with Italy is they haven't got a backline this season. Their back play against England was painful to watch, and I don't expect much improvement will be made for the Welsh game. Their half-backs are the worst in the tournament, so it will give Peel a chance to make a break or two while Jones kicks the penalties, then we can bring on the other half-backs when Peel and Jones have done enough (like he did with Phillips and Hook against Scotland).

Indeed it has been painful to watch. Thats why I hope Marcato plays and then plays well... he has a decent kicking game and this is the way we need to play for this match. Onbviously Mi. Bergamasco and Canale is a top centre pairing, but the rest of the backs are quite poor for this level really. Sgarbi is young so if given a chance maybe he can take it. Nitoglia will be back in the team, but Im not sure how good he is at the moment.

I think the main blame for their poor performance rests with the nine and ten. Both half-backs failed to give good ball to the backline; Italy are really suffering without Troncon and a decent fly-half.

Their half-backs are the worst in the tournament, so it will give Peel a chance to make a break or two while Jones kicks the penalties, then we can bring on the other half-backs when Peel and Jones have done enough (like he did with Phillips and Hook against Scotland). [/b]
it's true Sir, but only if you consider the offensive side of the game

defensively italian halves, Masi in particular, played very well both in Dublin (where the irish backs found room at the wingers but never ever in the central channel) and in Rome, their huge weakness is on the offensive part of the game

I don't expect welsh halves to make breaks but it will be quite simple for them to defend their opponents (even if the italian backline is expected to change consistently so we gotta wait and see...)

hopefully St. Jones is not going to have too many chanches to kicks penalties as the italian pack looks stronger than the welsh one and discipline has been pretty good so far

Hehe, we'll pass the ball to Shane Williams and he'll do a few somersaults and backflips over your defensive line. :p

Hehe, we'll pass the ball to Shane Williams and he'll do a few somersaults and backflips over your defensive line. :p [/b]
yep, that's a true danger... <_< and we miss the only player whose pace is comparable to Shane's (Kaine Robertson, 10.7 personal best on 100 meters)

but the italian ruck will try to slow down the ball and avoid the welsh backs getting easy plays

Nitoglia out of the squad (personal reasons), Galante called in

<div class='quotemain'> What do you expect the backs line-up to be danit?
[/b]
that's what I expect
9. Picone
10. Marcato
11. Sgarbi
12. Mi. Bergamasco
13. Canale
14. Nitoglia
15. Masi
[/b][/quote]now I'm quite sure italian backs will be (age in brackets)
9. Picone, 25
10. Marcato, 24
11. Sgarbi, 21
12. Mi. Bergamasco, will be 25 on the day of the game in Cardiff...
13. Canale, 25
14. Patrizio, 23 (or Galon, 30)
15. Masi, 26

It looks as though Gatland has chosen a pack to combat the Italian power. Instead of picking players to take on the Italians at their own game, he's chosen one of the most mobile and skillful front rows in the six nations. All three; Gethin Jenkins, Mathew Rees and Rhys Thomas are all awesome in open play. Second row has the power with Ian Evans and Gough, then it's straight back to mobility and skills in the backrow, with Martyn Willaims hopefully reigning supreme.

Fine there are question marks over Rhys Thomas' scrummaging, will he be able to hold his own against the awesome Castrogiovanni. Gatland must think so, I predict he will just survive.

Another question is, will the Italian forwards be able to contain their Welsh counterparts if Wales open the game up. What I'm getting at is both have their strengths and their weaknesses, and with the experience and superior quality at scrum half and outside half it should be Wales dictating both the tempo and where the game is played.

Then unleash Phillips and Hook........

Danit I think Galon will play instead of Patrizio on the left wing (or maybe Galon FB and Masi LW). It is a young backline which is good... hopefully some of them can develop into class rugby players.

Really isnt good news though... we are losing many of our players.

Danit I think Galon will play instead of Patrizio on the left wing (or maybe Galon FB and Masi LW) [/b]
the problem is Shane Williams: Robertson was the man to play against him, but now?

imo, considering defensive attitude and pace, Patrizio could be the choice but of course Mallet could go for a much more experienced pick with Galon

btw actually, considering the traditional Italy players shortage in the backline, the injury list is pretty worrying: Stanojevic, Canavosio, Pratichetti, Robertson, Bortolussi, Nitoglia, De Marigny too (but dunno if Mallet would have selected him)

I don't expect us to lose, especially in Cardiff. We lost there last time due to a horrible run of circumstances which didn't help us in anyway. The return of Bortolami will help them though, mind you Parisse was immense against England.

Latest posts