• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Italy

The injury list is too big, but now we will maybe see what the next generation will offer... Sgarbi and Patrizio.

With the Italian injuries, I can no longer see an Italian upset on the cards, as it is in Cardiff. However, I'm sure I'll be proved wrong and they'll push us close.

Wales by 10.

What lineup will be for Italy?

Without Bortolussi, Robertson, Nitoglia, the only kicker is Marcato. DOES he plays fly half or fuulback? I hope Picone and Marcato play as numer 9 and 10 for Italy. Masi is better centre than fly half. If another lineup play, so Italy will lose again.

Bad (?) news for Italy: Bortolussi has a broken shoulder. He'll be out for at least 6 weeks.

Who will be the new goalkicker ?
[/b]

Bortolussi is the best Italian kicker avalable in this moment.

For substitution, there is Andrea Marcato, fly half of Benetton Treviso.

However I don't agree with choosen of coach Mallett about scrum half and fly half.

I prefer Simon Picone ( scrum half of Benetton Treviso) and Alberto Di Bernardo (fly half of Leeds Carnegie).

even with the Italian injuries, I still think we should be really careful about writing them off. Their forwards are still very dangerous, I mean look at how many times they stole possession from England at the breakdown. And they're even more disciplined than they have been in the past. Looks like either Italy now know that they can't get away with giving away so many penalties (I think they learned that from the Scotland WC game) or they've discovered the tactic of cheating discreetly, like teams like England, SA, NZ and Australia. Probably a bit of both!
But, I can't see their backs scoring tries, they were slow and painful to watch against both Ireland and England. So if Wales can at least secure and maintain a decent platform, then I think the Welsh talent in the backs with score some tries. But I have a prediction that Parisse will score, don't ask me why, just think he will.

But I have a prediction that Parisse will score, don't ask me why, just think he will.
[/b]
I think you mispelled "Shane" there. :p Although I think Parisse would be the Italian forward most likely to score. He's definately the Ryan Jones of Italy, and could give Ryan a good run for his money in our squad, and he will be the biggest threat around the scrums on Saturday, so R Jones will need to take the one on one's with him, otherwise Peel will end up flattened. <_<

I can see Italy having 65% of the possession & territory but Wales scoring 65% of the points. At least with Bortolami back the Italian lineout shoud function, that was their only set peice weakness against England.

<div class='quotemain'>
But I have a prediction that Parisse will score, don't ask me why, just think he will.
[/b]
I think you mispelled "Shane" there. :p Although I think Parisse would be the Italian forward most likely to score. He's definately the Ryan Jones of Italy, and could give Ryan a good run for his money in our squad, [/b][/quote]

Ryan who? :huh:

Now seriously, I find Parisse to be the world's best no8, by a country mile, whilst Ryan Jones is still to recover his pre-injury form. Parisse's only misfortune is that of not having a team(read "back line") to fructify his efforts. Just imagine, if he would have remained in Argentina.. :D

I can see Italy having 65% of the possession & territory but Wales scoring 65% of the points. At least with Bortolami back the Italian lineout shoud function, that was their only set peice weakness against England.
[/b]
Bortolami has been named to start on the bench. Apparently he is still suffering from a slight neck injury. But at least he is in the sdie, I presume Parisse will maintain the captaincy for another game.

Parisse is Mallett's chosen captain and, by the way he is performing, will remain so; his appointment had nothing to do with Bortolami's injury.

15 Andrea Marcato

14 Alberto Sgarbi
13 Gonzalo Canale
12 Mirco Bergamasco
11 Ezio Galon

10 Andrea Masi
9 Simon Picone

8 Sergio Parisse ©
7 Mauro Bergamasco
6 Josh Sole

5 Carlo Antonio Del Fava
4 Santiago Dellapé

3 Martin Castrogiovanni
2 Leonardo Ghiraldini
1 Salvatore Perugini

Replacements: 16 Carlo Festuccia, 17 Andrea Lo Cicero, 18 Marco Bortolami, 19 Alessandro Zanni, 20 Pietro Travagli, 21 Paolo Buso, 22 Enrico Patrizio

http://www.planet-rugby.com/Story/0,18259,...3172996,00.html

Can't say I'm too happy, I would have preferred Masi at IC, Canale at FB and Marcato at FH. Pack should be just as strong as usual, perhaps with Bortolami coming off the bench to make an impact later on.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
I think you mispelled "Shane" there. :p Although I think Parisse would be the Italian forward most likely to score. He's definately the Ryan Jones of Italy, and could give Ryan a good run for his money in our squad, [/b][/quote]

Ryan who? :huh:

Now seriously, I find Parisse to be the world's best no8, by a country mile, whilst Ryan Jones is still to recover his pre-injury form. Parisse's only misfortune is that of not having a team(read "back line") to fructify his efforts. Just imagine, if he would have remained in Argentina.. :D
[/b][/quote]
Best in the World? One of the best, no doubt, but definately not the best in my opinion. Hopefully his "best no.8 in the World" form will disintegrate in the game againt Wales. B)

Rather like the Italians performance against Ireland & to a lesser extent England, I can see the pack shoving the Welsh all over the park, but a couple of creative flashes from Peel, Williams, Shanklin or Henson will be more than enough for Wales to win.

Still can't see why Jones has been recalled over Hook.

Rather like the Italians performance against Ireland & to a lesser extent England, I can see the pack shoving the Welsh all over the park, but a couple of creative flashes from Peel, Williams, Shanklin or Henson will be more than enough for Wales to win.

Still can't see why Jones has been recalled over Hook. [/b]

Game time and also the fact that Jones will be solid and wants to play a certain way in which he knows that Hook cannot!

Yep, Hook should develop into a two-game player though. As in: an open-game player and a tight conservative game player.

Marcato at 15? I suppose Mallet didnt want to change the team too much and just replaced the injured with players directly into their positions. I would have trusted Masi or Canale more at 15 and Marcato at 10, but oh well. If Marcato doesnt perform at FB, Buso can replace him as he is better in that position I think. Sgarbi with a chance to shine, but so many injuries means quite a different backline. Sgarbi, Marcato and Galon.

I am glad he put Picone in and with Bortolami on the bench he can be a good impact sub. However I expect us to lose by 15.

Marcato at 15? I suppose Mallet didnt want to change the team too much and just replaced the injured with players directly into their positions. I would have trusted Masi or Canale more at 15 and Marcato at 10, but oh well.
[/b]

Mallet does not want to waste all the work that Masi has made so far perfecting the Fly-half role. He believes he is fitting in well and does not want to risk losing all the time he has put into the experiment, hence Marcato goes to full back.

I think Marcato will be taking the kicks in Bortolussi's absence, although I have not heard many reports on his kicking. Could be a huge blow for Italy not having a recognised kicker.

Wales by 12

Italian key word is DAMAGE LIMITATION. So Italy can win only if will be able to apply a forward domination. "Gats" did well capping Jenkins in the front row. Italians want to keep possession by running the ball playing for the territory.
Mallet is considered a GURU by the italian press. In Italy there is not a journalist who understand well rugby, and how to play rugby, so they can't criticize his Masi at fly-half doomed experiment.

Marcato is a good kicker, he's talented but inexperienced. Mallet did well capping him as fullback. There, he can be less involved in making decisions but he can try to play this level. Hope his boot will be accurate.

Wales midfield is too strong and talented for Italy. They have genius at half back, pace on wings. Welsh back line is immense compared to Italy.

My heart says Italy by 7, my mind says Wales by 14.

Latest posts