• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Ireland vs Italy - 11/02/24

Apart from the first, all from the right side of the pitch IIRC. Coupled with the breeze, probably difficult to be confident drawing across the ball.
Yeah but kickers do get days where it just is off. Like he was excellent running the attack but the depth of backs is funny.
Watching back McCloskey would be a superstar 12 in any other country. A big powerful.guy but had superb offloads too. And in forwards the backrow is going to be a log.
I think all 4 backrowers today, Hodnett, Ahern, Coombes, Prendergast, McCann, Timoney and 1 or 2 more are all serious options based on provincial form yet none really old and another wave enroute

Yeah but kickers do get days where it just is off. Like he was excellent running the attack but the depth of backs is funny.
Watching back McCloskey would be a superstar 12 in any other country. A big powerful.guy but had superb offloads too. And in forwards the backrow is going to be a log.
I think all 4 backrowers today, Hodnett, Ahern, Coombes, Prendergast, McCann, Timoney and 1 or 2 more are all serious options based on provincial form yet none really old and another wave enroute
Add O'Mahoney to that list!

Ireland probably have another gear if needed, was HK always this quick or has he gained a yard or two?
He's always been quick, but like a lot of his game it's been underrated. In the Welsh game last season he denied Rio Dyer a certain try in a sprint to a kick through. He is certainly in the top three full backs in the game, without any weaknesses in his game. And I'm one of the guys who was utterly stunned by Farrells original decision to pick him. He is a transformational player who highlights just how limited Kearney was in in his last five or six years.

I think two weeks time could put that result into perspective - and could well be favourable to Italy.

Seeing lots of noise about Jack Crowley, seen very little of him outside of the 6 nations to really know, obviously he's looked great so far but has been given an arm chair ride, largely due to Irelands incredible form, is he the real deal going forward?

Seeing lots of noise about Jack Crowley, seen very little of him outside of the 6 nations to really know, obviously he's looked great so far but has been given an arm chair ride, largely due to Irelands incredible form, is he the real deal going forward?
Modern, athletic, system 10 is what I expect him to be at minimum. Richie Mo'unga clone at best. Not worried at all about him and some prospects in behind also.

Modern, athletic, system 10 is what I expect him to be at minimum. Richie Mo'unga clone at best. Not worried at all about him and some prospects in behind also.

Yeah, Mo'unga is probably the player he is most like. He was an exceptional running 10 at u20 level with slightly stilted passing style which has improved unbelievably. He gave a masterclass in passing and offloading at the weekend against admittedly limited opposition, but he isn't afraid to play flat to the line and bring defenders on to him. He took a fair clattering from the likes of Danty in the French match but it didn't seem to faze him in the slightest, and he took it up a level against Italy. His kicking in open play hasn't been good, and after a great place kicking display against France he was poor against Italy, but you expect some inconsistency with a rookie, and it doesn't look like mistakes knock his confidence very much, if at all. He is also a big unit for a 10 and is well able for a physical game.

I originally thought it was Ross Byrne who was benching and was a bit ****** off, but I was delighted to see that it was younger brother Harry, and he looked very comfortable when he came in. Again he played flat and showed lovely hands, and has probably a better kicking game than Crowley, but doesn't offer the same running threat. I think both of them could thrive when Hansen is back to offer a greater second receiver option, especially on the short side, but we're already in a better position post Sexton than we could have possibly expected.

Ended up being the worst one due it being a no contest. I mean, we all expected Ireland to win, but that was dire to watch as a neutral.
France were probably the only team going into the 6 nations anyone expected to beat Ireland and Ireland won that pretty handily and in France, honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ireland get more against other teams than they did Italy although they probably won't 0 anyone else.

France were probably the only team going into the 6 nations anyone expected to beat Ireland and Ireland won that pretty handily and in France, honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ireland get more against other teams than they did Italy although they probably won't 0 anyone else.
France came became achievable more so when their key men became absent. Mixed with Faz keeping us honest and ruthless was good.

I still don't think England will be easy, always raise their game for us. If they can avoid whacking our lads' heads they could be very dangerous.

I still don't think England will be easy, always raise their game for us. If they can avoid whacking our lads' heads they could be very dangerous.
They will be dangerous. Have said it for weeks. They have 1 huge performance this spring. New coaching structure bedding in and I think the week break before is good for them

Stuart Barnes thinks this is the best Ireland team in history, and they can go on to be the best Ireland team of all time.

Quite the compliment considering the standard of some of those pre-historic Ireland sides.

Latest posts