• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies' Team Predictions

F

Fushitsusha

So there was an amusing article in the Sydney Morning Herald over the weekend where John Connolly put forward his picks for the Wallabies......

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/interna...7856917222.html

Connolly was obviously using the article to justify the bum selections he'd picked in recent times by making statements that players like Dunning and Tuqiri will be the first ones picked.....

We're past the halfway point in the Super 14 and I was just curious who everyone thinks will be making the team....

Despite the Waratahs somehow sitting in the top 4, I really do not think they'll dominate the squad (well, they probably won't dominate the starting XV) -

Props - Holmes, Robinson, Shepherdson, ?

I really don't know about the 4th prop - I have a bad feeling it will be Dunning. I hope Robbie Deans is smarter than that

Hooker - Polata-Nau, Faingaa, Freier

Lots of young talent here. Moore has been in poor form and I'm not that keen on Freier. Huia Edmonds has been great in open play but his lineout throwing sucks

Locks - Vickerman (apparently he'll be around for the tests), Sharpe, Chisholm, Horwill?

Vickerman and Sharpe are the best in the country come lineout time, but they stink in the scrum. Chisholm is a better scrummager and the best ball running lock, but no doubt they'll stick with the incumbent pair

Backrow - George Smith (duh!), Rocky Elsom, Richard Brown, Stephen Hoiles, Phil Waugh

I believe the backrow combination has been cemented in with Elsom, Smith and Brown. Personally, I'd put Hoiles on the bench over Waugh becomes he can cover all positions, is good in the lineout and is the most athletic out of all the backrowers.

Scrumhalves - Cordingley, Burgess, Holmes/Phibbs

Phibbs had a great start to the year but has gone down the list of candidates and might not even get looked in over Holmes. Cordingley has been the most consistent and now that Burgess has been given a go he's showing that he'll probably cover Cordingley from the bench. However, I don't want to throw too much hype towards him after two weeks.

Flyhalves - Giteau, Barnes

I believe Barnes will probably play inside centre, but I've listed him here because he's probably the only decent backup for Giteau.

Centres - Mortlock, Staniforth, Cross, Ashley-Cooper

I've listed Ashley-Cooper here but I have a feeling he might partner Mitchell on the wing.

Wings - Mitchell, Turner

I haven't listed too many options here because there's a number of our centres and fullbacks who can cover wing.

Fullbacks - Latham, Gerrard, Shepherd

Anyways, that's my picks for the 30 man squad. What're y'all think?

I won't be game to predict a starting 15 man squad until the end of the Super 14.

turner doesn't deserve a cap based on his descision making immaturity. flame all you like but every time i see him with the ball he's always trying to do something "special" rather than playing the percentage game. that 50 metre dropgoal attempt was the number 1 example of what i'm talking about... bad option.

don't forget palu in the back row

it doesnt matter whos in your team Robbie will turn them into Dan and Richies

it doesnt matter whos in your team Robbie will turn them into Dan and Richies [/b]

i don't think it's possible for robbie deans to turn the wallabies into gay lovers :bleh!:

Doubt Dunners or Baxter will be in the mix, regardless of their ability (or lack of) we need to develop younger props. A few with promise have come through this year, Deans might latch onto the opportunity, but really it's all hypothetical.

turner doesn't deserve a cap based on his descision making immaturity. flame all you like but every time i see him with the ball he's always trying to do something "special" rather than playing the percentage game. that 50 metre dropgoal attempt was the number 1 example of what i'm talking about... bad option.

don't forget palu in the back row
[/b]

I honestly do not think there is a place in the squad for Palu.

Palu vanishes in the big games.

Brown and Hoiles have shown that they're much better options at no. 8.

I would like to see McMeniman play well when he comes back from injury. Otherwise there's no real backup at blindside flanker unless they go with someone like Chapman who showed on the weekend that he's a pretty good ball runner and can be handy in the lineout.

France will send a B(C?) team to Australia as no players involved in the Top 14 playoff will go down to south.

As it stands in the top 14, Toulouse, Clermont, Perpignan, Stade Francais are qualified.
The fourth place should be decided between Biarritz and Perpignan, therefore the french team would be :

Barcella/Bruno/Milloud (Sub: Faure, Brugnaut)
Nallet/Jacquet (sub : Mela,Thion)
Picamoles/Oudreaogo/Diarra (sub Chabal, Harinodorquy)
scrum half Parra (Yachvili)
flyhalf Trinh Duc (sub Boyet)
Centers: Traille/ David (sub Mazars)
Wings: Thierry/Bidabe
FullBack: Brusque (sub Peyras)

For the first time in years, the Oz may dominate the scrum !!!!!!!

That would be a nice battle between the third row.
Contrary to last year, when the french C team was slaughtered in New Zealand, I would give a small chance to this french team as most of the players have now seen international action.

Oz to win the series 2-0

No matter who he picks the Wallabies won't make much of an impression on the boks or the blacks I am afraid ... they just aren't up to it anymore. :p

No matter who he picks the Wallabies won't make much of an impression on the boks or the blacks I am afraid ... they just aren't up to it anymore. :p
[/b]
Don't be so sure, arrogance is always a good way to let your guard down....and that's when Australia strikes.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Don't be so sure, arrogance is always a good way to let your guard down....and that's when Australia strikes. [/b][/quote]
The Kiwis are always arrogant...so how's does your theory factor in that?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Don't be so sure, arrogance is always a good way to let your guard down....and that's when Australia strikes. [/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Last year, Bledisloe cup in Melbourne, World Cup 2003 Semi Final...both games the AB's should have cleaned up but the Wallabies beat them against huge odds.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Last year, Bledisloe cup in Melbourne, World Cup 2003 Semi Final...both games the AB's should have cleaned up but the Wallabies beat them against huge odds. [/b][/quote]
Well, alright then...carry on the good work. :D

don't forget the all blacks will be a vastly different team this year too, they will be missing experienced players who have got them over the line in the past.

the boks only play well at home or during the world cup ;)

so i'm hoping this year the wallabies can play rugby like it's 1999

Looks like Knuckles is trying to tell Deans who to pick...or maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Deans will name a 1 or 2 bolters in the squad. Although they wont get game time, but the experience of joining the Wallabies in training sessions will greatly help them in the future.

If I was Deans, my 30 member squad would be something like this with Dunning & Tuqiri included with the view of helping the youngsters progress while Vickerman & Latham have been omitted for obvious reasons:

Props: Robinson, Holmes, Sherperdson, Dunning

Hookers: TPN, Freier, McIsaac

Locks: Sharpe, Chisholm, Horwill, McMeniman/Campbell

Flankers: Elsom, Chapman, G.Smith, Waugh, Brown, Palu

Halfs: Cordingley, Burgess, Holmes

Firsts: Giteau, Barnes

Centres: T.Smith, Mortlock, Cross, AAC

Wings: Tuqiri, Mitchell

Fullback: Gerrard, SNK

Bolters: Sekope Kepu, Julian Salvi, Rob Horne

I think Tyrone Smith and Julian Salvi are in excellent form but I'm not sure if we'll see them in the Wallabies.

If they're not in the Wallabies squad I'm sure they'll both be starring for Australia A.

As for Sam Norton-Knight. I doubt he'll ever play for the Wallabies again.

If I was Deans, my 30 member squad would be something like this with Dunning & Tuqiri included with the view of helping the youngsters progress while Vickerman & Latham have been omitted for obvious reasons:
[/b]
Dunning is a poison in the Wallaby squad, on and off the field....if Deans wants to start fresh he really needs to keep him out, we don't want another generation of props to be a huge douche bag like Dunning....

name another TH prop around that can do the job better.
[/b]
All the more reason to blood some more...plus I know this is a cunning ruse to keep Dunning in the job so you can destroy our scrum for many years to come....

another TH prop? how about Dayna Edwards - the Red's scrum has been about the only high point this year. I really can't see why everyone is picking Dunning, he's been nothing exciting this season, and he was terrible in the WC

Latest posts