• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wanted Competitions

Actually, it started with some kiwi crying in their beer because they didn't like the idea of European competitions having a bigger audience (and therefore marketing appeal) then the ITM cup. Then several Kiwis got butt hurt and started professing about how the ITM is the greatest competition in the world (ahead of the Super 14 or even the HEC).

Then, as usual whenever that old subject comes up, test rugby came up because the Kiwis couldn't defend the domestic rugby.

Same old story.

Well I haven't read this entire thread and I can't be bothered so I don't know whether this is just exaggeration or what because, well, everyone knows the ITM Cup isn't as good as the Super 14 or the Heineken Cup

Go and read it before jumping in and jumping the gun ....

Everytime this argument comes comes up it really annoys me!!! In NZ the ITM Cup and Ranfurly Shield are a big deal. I would be very disappointed if they weren't included in Rugby 2012. I definitely wouldn't say it's bigger than Super 15 but it's just as important to Kiwi's as the Currie Cup is the South Africans.
We all want our own domestic comps in the game and there's nothing wrong with that.

Obviously the European and British comps will get more viewers. This is simply because they have more people, not because the calibre of players/teams is any better.
I couldn't say which provincial comp is more competitive cause i don't really follow any others outside of NZ, but if i had to i'd probably say that the Currie Cup is the most competitive, it has alot more South African international players than the ITM has NZ international players.
Either way i would love to see the provincial comps from NZ, Aussie, South Africa, France and England. These are the best countries in the world and deserve to get there provincial comps in the game.

Just read it, and it started with Bullitt and Ranger.... and I do concur my posts.
But I also read somewhere that the ITM Cup teams are weaker on paper....
Here are the results of the mighty B&I Lions 2005 Matches including ITM Cup teams[excluding All Blacks matches to save the heartache].

Bay of Plenty 20 – 34 Lions Win
Taranaki 14-36 Lions Win
NZ Maori- 19-13 Lions Loss
Wellington 6-23 Lions Win
Otago 19-30 Lions Win
Southland 16-26 Lions Win
Manawatu 64-5 Lions Win

This is the great B&I Lions, supposedly the best of the Northern Hemisphere and they struggled against these so called lower tier rugby teams.
If the Lions just managed to keep a lid on them, I wonder how your Magners League and English Premiership teams go against them.

Actually, it started with some kiwi crying in their beer because they didn't like the idea of European competitions having a bigger audience (and therefore marketing appeal) then the ITM cup. Then several Kiwis got butt hurt and started professing about how the ITM is the greatest competition in the world (ahead of the Super 14 or even the HEC).

Then, as usual whenever that old subject comes up, test rugby came up because the Kiwis couldn't defend the domestic rugby.

Same old story.

Well there is one spin on precedings i guess.
I would like the ITM cup to be in the game. I think it would be fun.

Same old story.

That's rubbish, I said the ITM cup is the equal of the Premiership, which it is. Maybe not in terms of viewership or audience, but definitely in quality of players (I'd argue the quality of play is higher too, but your winter and muddy grounds don't help that too much). I made a fair point that nobody acknowledged being that if you put all the ITM teams and premiership teams in one competition, the teams like Leeds and Otago would be near the bottom whereas the teams such as Leicester and Canterbury would be near the top.

Someone went off on me and took that to mean I think any ITM cup team could beat any Premiership team, which is clearly not what I said. Never did I say it was better than any competition, but oh well, well done. Don't let that get int he way of your SH bashing.

chip-on-shoulder.jpg

because so many countries are on the brink of exploding with rugby, the americas has to be looked at, the asian 5 nations has actually stepped up in popularity as well as the japanese league. The russian market needs to be looked at as its booming in playing numbers. France and england have!! to be seriously expanded due to these markets being the largest! NZ, Aus and South africa need their largest competitons in the game and represented properly to bring the game a full bodied look, something similar to ***les released in other sports... make sense guys?? discuss!

Same old story.

Still can't read geez. Please send me the posts that back up anything you've just said. Interesting that the ONLY SOLID comparison between NZ provincial rugby and the NH (the lions tour 2005) keeps being avoided by you lot. So they were rubbish but they were your best damn players at the time. Any other talk about this is better than that is pure speculation as there just isn't anything to back it up at all. Anyways the biggest brand name in world rugby is the All Blacks and they all start their trade in the ITM cup so even based on just that the ITM cup should be in.

Last edited:
I'd want most main competitions so super 15, tri (or quad) nations, 6 nations, Heinieken cup, Magners, Aviva Prem, Top14, World cup, Currie cup. And then a World league styled mode again.. but more tiers and competitions.. mabey even with int. friendlies or matches dipping into your squad.

I'd like to see..

Super 15
ITM Cup
Currie Cup
Heineken Cup
Magners League
Aviva Premiership
Top 14

INTERNATIONAL
6 Nations
Tri/Four Nations
Rugby World Cup
Lions Tour

But i'd have a custom tour mode, so you can choose your own tour with any team to any matches.

Also i must is custom tournament mode. You can put in the 'extra' teams for the competitions we don't need, but make them available by another route.. so include 'lesser' teams like Arabian Gulf, Tunisia, Chile etc.

Just read it, and it started with Bullitt and Ranger.... and I do concur my posts.
But I also read somewhere that the ITM Cup teams are weaker on paper....
Here are the results of the mighty B&I Lions 2005 Matches including ITM Cup teams[excluding All Blacks matches to save the heartache].

Bay of Plenty 20 – 34 Lions Win
Taranaki 14-36 Lions Win
NZ Maori- 19-13 Lions Loss
Wellington 6-23 Lions Win
Otago 19-30 Lions Win
Southland 16-26 Lions Win
Manawatu 64-5 Lions Win

This is the great B&I Lions, supposedly the best of the Northern Hemisphere and they struggled against these so called lower tier rugby teams.
If the Lions just managed to keep a lid on them, I wonder how your Magners League and English Premiership teams go against them.

Lols at trying to use the 2005 Lions as a basis for an arguement. 2005 Lions were an embarrasment to the name and therefore don't count.

I'd like to see..

Super 15
ITM Cup
Currie Cup
Heineken Cup
Magners League
Aviva Premiership
Top 14

INTERNATIONAL
6 Nations
Tri/Four Nations
Rugby World Cup
Lions Tour

But i'd have a custom tour mode, so you can choose your own tour with any team to any matches.

Also i must is custom tournament mode. You can put in the 'extra' teams for the competitions we don't need, but make them available by another route.. so include 'lesser' teams like Arabian Gulf, Tunisia, Chile etc.

This is a pretty good/realistic list of comps... Would be sweet if the Ranfurly shield and the Bledilsoe were included within the ITM Cup and the Tri-Nations.
There needs to be a "create-a-tournament" this would mean that as a New Zealander I could make the "End of year tour". All the Teams already exist so it would just be a matter of selecting dates and locations.
If we could create our own Competitions/Tours it would be great because although this tour is a very big deal to AB supporters no-one else probably really cares about it therefore it wouldn't really warrant being in the game...

If there are plenty of teams to choose from and the ability to create your own tournament then the game wouldn't really need more than 4 or 5 main International Comps.

This is a pretty good/realistic list of comps... Would be sweet if the Ranfurly shield and the Bledilsoe were included within the ITM Cup and the Tri-Nations.
There needs to be a "create-a-tournament" this would mean that as a New Zealander I could make the "End of year tour". All the Teams already exist so it would just be a matter of selecting dates and locations.
If we could create our own Competitions/Tours it would be great because although this tour is a very big deal to AB supporters no-one else probably really cares about it therefore it wouldn't really warrant being in the game...

If there are plenty of teams to choose from and the ability to create your own tournament then the game wouldn't really need more than 4 or 5 main International Comps.

Better still, have them integrated into a rolling season mode which includes all the leagues and test matches.

Yeah this would be awesome but it would all depend on how in-depth the season/manager mode is...
I would still really like to see the World League in the game.

Lols at trying to use the 2005 Lions as a basis for an arguement. 2005 Lions were an embarrasment to the name and therefore don't count.

LOLS at the use of the word "trying"... i didn't try to use them as an example, I "did" use them as they are the only hard evidence anyone has of the comparison between ITM cup teams and the Northern Hemisphere. And just because they were crap doesn't mean they don't count..
It happened so it does count buddy.
These by the way, are our provincial teams without their All Blacks or NZ Maori representatives. If they had them in their squads the outcome could have possibly been even more embarrassing for the Northerners. So I really think you guys should consider giving our teams more credit than you are.. I'd like to see how the great Leicester Tigers or whoever you choose match up against the B&I Lions without their representative players.

Or even better, the All Blacks.

Imagine if I used the arguments "they were **** therefore doesn't count", some fancy picture, "they're were an embarrassment", "don't feed the trolls" etc etc regarding the All Black exits from each world cup (bar '87). They aren't arguments are they? it would be just me minimising.

Last edited:

Latest posts