• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Was Sam Owen Banned?

I also vociferously disagree "lager" is lager, like there's no difference. Go Belgian, local abbey French, or German. Some Czech stuff too, with the German influence.
I was talking to a Belgian guy (Flamke side) in Qatar and I told him I disliked most Dutch beer I'd tasted, and he told me over there in Belgium they laughed at Dutch beer all the time. Belgian beer is just something else, and even their mass-produced more commercial stuff (Affligem, Leffe in particular) are exquisite for stuff you can buy in supermarkets; i.e. not locally produced/"homebrewed".

Unless a country has a lager tradition you can pretty much garuantee that the lagers they sell will be differing shades of ****..

I think that shows that the answer you gave was not to the "question" asked on the lager issue....

I do agree on the Belgian beers as there are some terrific ones and Leffe in particular but they are not French which was the original question!!

Tony, think the point Ewis was making was that Rats Lagers are Lagers when they are cold comment was wrong... hence his comments about belgian beer etc... but Leffe and what not isn't lager iirc (haven't drunk for a few years am t-total)

I had to give up beer/lager when I went gluten-free (I was a Guinness gal :( ). Now I drink ciders. Which is the best one out there?

das

I still don't know to this day what the English call lager specifically is. For me, there's (translated from French directly): White, blonde, brown and black beer. The most common one is blonde, Heineken is blonde, Stella, etc...like, blonde/gold colored.

Leffe is the most consumed beer by the French, fyi.

Yeah GN10, French beers...1664 ain't bad, makes for a pretty solid draught. I like those abbey ones, like Davelghem. Pretty good. But hands down, the Belgians do it way better than us.

Love how this thread turned out...so perfectly TRF.

Tony, think the point Ewis was making was that Rats Lagers are Lagers when they are cold comment was wrong... hence his comments about belgian beer etc... but Leffe and what not isn't lager iirc (haven't drunk for a few years am t-total)

I wasn't talking about all lagers - I was referring to things like Carling, Coors and Foster - the big conglomerate brewery produced beer that is intended to accompany a takeaway or to be bought in bulk prior to a binge.
Those beers are very similar - and are even more generic when served at the temperatures they often are.

I still don't know to this day what the English call lager specifically is. For me, there's (translated from French directly): White, blonde, brown and black beer. The most common one is blonde, Heineken is blonde, Stella, etc...like, blonde/gold colored.

Well we certainly describe more than four styles of beer - whether that's because we drink more styles or because we are more specific I do not know.

Heineken and Stella are both Lagers - so I'm guessing Lager is a direct equivalent of the French term "blonde".
Although there are several different types of lager.

"White" is what we call wheat beer - like Hoegaarden.

"Brown" is almost certainly Ale - again... lots of different styles of ale (not all of which are brown).

"Black" I can only guess is Stout/Porter - also has several styles - although it could refer to dark lager. Would you call Guinness a "black" beer?

...I think I might make a beer thread.

"White" is what we call wheat beer - like Hoegaarden.

"Brown" is almost certainly Ale - again... lots of different styles of ale (not all of which are brown).

"Black" I can only guess is Stout/Porter - also has several styles - although it could refer to dark lager. Would you call Guinness a "black" beer?

...I think I might make a beer thread.

that's correct, Hoegaarden are the most famous "white" beer makes. In German, it's actually called literally "white beer", "weissbeer".
Brown is Killkenny, Guiness, those Celtic beers.
"Black beer" (what we call "bière noire") is even more diluted, darker beer than brown. Quite bitter background taste. I've only tried one make, a German brand called Black Baron somebody had randomly bought I found in the fridge lol, didn't know "black beer" existed until like 2 years ago.

I'm reading about it here:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oakham-black-baron/129345/

Those pompous beer tasters :p but they do make good points. Can't remember if it's the malt in the taste that's a little overwhelming, one of those grains. Try it out if you haven't, it's always interesting.
For me beer is blonde though. White beer is somewhat like white chocolate for chocolate. It's fun, it's playful, it's even interesting sometimes but it ain't the real thing. And brown is just if I feel really exotic or am pretending I'm a tolerant guy who likes change every once in a while. Very rarely. I simply don't drink Coronas and stuff like that though, I'd rather stay sober. Dead srs, it's happened many times before, that's all they had. No way. I'll have water, thank you.

Is hoegaarden not a Blanche?

well...yeah man, that's what rats and I just consecutively affirmed. ARE YOU UP TO SMT ??!! HUH, HUH ??!!!! YOU TRYIN TO WIND ME UP THERE WITH YOUR BAD CROISSANTS AND WHAT NOT ??!!!!

Kilkenny and Guiness are two separate types of beer.
Kilkenny is an ale and Guiness is a stout - they are two separate styles of beer.

"Black" beers are Stouts and Porters then - Guinness is a "Black" beer not a "Brown" one.
This is London's beer style - although Guinness is hardly a great example of it.

Stouts are my favorite.

Kilkenny and Guiness are two separate types of beer.
Kilkenny is an ale and Guiness is a stout - they are two separate styles of beer.

uhmm...ok...OK !!! God, I'm sure to remember that now !! Just one quick question though: are they two separate styles of beer, or would you say that they in fact aren't ?

P.S.: yes I've noticed UK Europe and continental Europe (France, Swiss, Germany, Belgium...) had very different tastes for beer.

P.S.: yes I've noticed UK Europe and continental Europe (France, Swiss, Germany, Belgium...) had very different tastes for beer.

I wouldn't say so... as a country the UK just likes to get smashed on cheap beer more than on the continent.

I wouldn't say so... as a country the UK just likes to get smashed on cheap beer more than on the continent.

Mm, maybe. Even if you go back to the traditional British beers... we're very much into our Ales and Stouts. Quality native British lagers are a rarity. Far more lagers over there. That seems a reasonably substantial difference to me.

My personal belief is if everyone is ******, nobody is, in fact, ******.

you've been reading 9GAG memes too much...

and yeah I'd tend to agree with Peat. It really does seem to me like UK and continental Europe have different taste in beer. I've hung out with English, Scottish and Irish, they always seem to pick other styles, always see em with darker brews, although what rats is saying seems true that they don't really care what it is as long as it's got alcohol in it.
Belgians and Germans for e.g. do care about the quality of the beer, although they too do basically want to get wasted beyond human comprehension.

I feel pretty offended, Big E. If I drink beer- mostly summers or a warm winters day, I drink our local versions of a classic german hefe weiss and if I eat chocolate it's white.

So, the world has surrendered it's judgement of what constitutes good taste or value to France. Oh, well, could be worse.

Edit; just out of interest. Has anyone who knows anything of wine ever had a good SA Pinotage? I'd be interested in hearing opinions. I am quite partial to a glass of pinotage with my evening meals.

you've been getting smashed on cheap beer like a plebby Englinshman too much...

and yeah I'd tend to agree with Peat. It really does seem to me like UK and continental Europe have different taste in beer. I've hung out with English, Scottish and Irish, they always seem to pick other styles, always see em with darker brews, although what rats is saying seems true that they don't really care what it is as long as it's got alcohol in it.
Belgians and Germans for e.g. do care about the quality of the beer, although they too do basically want to get wasted beyond human comprehension.

Ftfy!

I always thought that a lot of it had to do with the weather. Hot = lager, usually the generic ****, and cold = Stout for me! In between it's kind of shady, I like pale and red ales a lot and would usually choose them, if the place doesn't have them I would usually revert to any non American lager! For an 18 year old I'm seen as quite a prick with my views on beer, in Ireland, culture is very much get ****** on what you can! Which is quite fun admittedly, apart from dark Jamaican rum, **** that ****!

I feel pretty offended, Big E. If I drink beer- mostly summers or a warm winters day, I drink our local versions of a classic german hefe weiss and if I eat chocolate it's white.

So, the world has surrendered it's judgement of what constitutes good taste or value to France. Oh, well, could be worse.

Edit; just out of interest. Has anyone who knows anything of wine ever had a good SA Pinotage? I'd be interested in hearing opinions. I am quite partial to a glass of pinotage with my evening meals.

sorry to hear that. ;)
Nope stormer, haven't tried that wine in particular. Of all "new world" wines I've tried, some Aussie one was the best. My parents went to S.A. a couple of years ago (and I stayed in Qatar like a piece of shiit) and they had some Saffer red they said was really very good. It was a Grand Cru so...
So in S.A. ppl are more into reds or whites ? I'm sure you guys produce a few whites, following a more Germanic-tinged tradition (Germans for e.g. produce quite a bit of white).
I love my whites, not the "dry" ones as we say in French, I like the "liquoreux" ones, sweet. Some are just, excuse my poetry, motherfuccking enjoyable as fk. Jurançon, Sauternes...they're like a perfect stop between wine and dessert. Here's a pic I took some summers ago:

DSC02343.JPG

Look at that color.

DSC02349.JPG

You can only have one good glass though. It's too potent (sugar wise).

Latest posts