• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Watching Rugby in the UK

Jim Blake

Academy Player
I'm trying to help an elderly friend with limited funds and computer knowledge, to access Rugby on his PC. He uses BT Broadband and a subscription to BT Sport at present, but its costing him a king's ransom and he's asked if I can help him get off BT Broadband (That's easy, I will recommend the ISP I use, Zen) and get his rugby another (legal!) way.

He lives in the UK and believes he needs to replace BT Sport with a subscription to RugbyPass and a VPN. I'm reasonably computer literate, but I know nothing about watching sport on the PC, so here's the questions:
  1. Does he need RugbyPass, or could he subscribe to something else that's better? For example, could he continue to use BT Sport over a different ISP?
  2. If he's not going out of the UK, does he need a VPN?
  3. If he needs a VPN, what is the best/cheapest from your experience?
  4. I've googled this extensively, but can't find any "how to" pages....are there any you can refe me to?
Thanks for any advice you can give. If this post is out of order in any way, please feel free to roundly criticise me and throw bricks :)

Jim

I don't know a great deal about it but from what I gather it's a good service and quite cheap.

The reason he'd need a VPN (I think anyway) is that RugbyPass don't offer their services to the UK due to the major channels (BT Sport, Sky Sports & Premier Sports) paying a lot of money to present the various competitions exclusively. Therefore a VPN would be required to make it seem like your friend is accessing Rugby Pass from one of their target regions ie Asia.

As far as legality goes, I wouldn't have thought it's 'strictly' legal but I wouldn't imagine that there would be any scope for prosecution.

You can pay for BT Sport just on it's own - i think it's about £25 a month,
Could be worth looking into how much the cheapest EE contract is as you get BT Sport free with that. It's only the "Mobile" version, so you can only watch on the mobile app and the windows app (not sure if there's a mac one), but that's how I use BT.

WRT to VPNs/RugbyPass - it's not something I do myself but I know some on here do it, and I've seen plenty of people on reddit etc. that use it, so I know it's possible.

I'm trying to help an elderly friend with limited funds and computer knowledge, to access Rugby on his PC. He uses BT Broadband and a subscription to BT Sport at present, but its costing him a king's ransom and he's asked if I can help him get off BT Broadband (That's easy, I will recommend the ISP I use, Zen) and get his rugby another (legal!) way.

He lives in the UK and believes he needs to replace BT Sport with a subscription to RugbyPass and a VPN. I'm reasonably computer literate, but I know nothing about watching sport on the PC, so here's the questions:
  1. Does he need RugbyPass, or could he subscribe to something else that's better? For example, could he continue to use BT Sport over a different ISP?
  2. If he's not going out of the UK, does he need a VPN?
  3. If he needs a VPN, what is the best/cheapest from your experience?
  4. I've googled this extensively, but can't find any "how to" pages....are there any you can refe me to?
Thanks for any advice you can give. If this post is out of order in any way, please feel free to roundly criticise me and throw bricks :)

Jim
Just saw this on YouTube. He discusses rugbypass a big and how to use VPN's... the VPN bit is right at the end

I haven't been around in ages, but DAZN didn't show the Champions Cup matches this weekend here, but RugbyPass didn't work with my SmartDNS or VPN service. Does anyone still have access to the Champions Cup matches with either solution? Thanks!

My parents are with a different internet provider to BT but get BT sport as an add on for very cheap. They dont use it so basicly they use my netflix and i use their bt sport.

This subscription is the same one you would use on a pc but i cast it from my phone to a Google Chromecast which arnt expensive.

Try looking for a new internet provider, i think its plus net and you do get some decent bonus. Would save the need for rugby pass or a vpn. And could watch on tv or computer for alot cheaper than he is paying now.

Thanks,, but I'm not in the UK, so BT isn't an option. I've got RugbyPass already, so my SmartDNS was an easy way to access the bits they don't show here. Actually, had DAZN used their rights, I wouldn't even have the problem to begin with.

Ulster's jersey is red/white, taken from the Northern Ireland flag. However, Ulster Rugby represents 9-County Ulster, not Northern Ireland (6 counties). Why not red/yellow colours, from Ulster flag?

Ulster's jersey is red/white, taken from the Northern Ireland flag. However, Ulster Rugby represents 9-County Ulster, not Northern Ireland (6 counties). Why not red/yellow colours, from Ulster flag?
wrong thread?

Latest posts