• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We haven't reverted back to the Pro12, the Saffas just do their own thing: Guinness Pro14 - R12

Was away so only caught Ulster vs. Munster on iPlayer.

Entertaining game, so good watching.

But, being realistic, for us, it's a grim indictment of where we are right now. Couldn't score against Munsters 2nd string unless they were at least a man down.

Was away so only caught Ulster vs. Munster on iPlayer.

Entertaining game, so good watching.

But, being realistic, for us, it's a grim indictment of where we are right now. Couldn't score against Munsters 2nd string unless they were at least a man down.
To be fair to us all tries in last 20 came from where we were short the man. Add in we had guys concussed and were only diagnosed after.
But equally Ulster exploited our shortage and showed great heart. The thing I wonder about Ulster is why is it just not clicking. Yes the pack isn't the best but the best 8 aren't awful. The backs I think are of that of a top European team. Don't think it's as from as you think

Don't think it's as from as you think

I think its pretty far.

Compared to the other provinces, we have up front (at best):

5th choice loosehead
1st choice hooker
6th choice tighthead
Joint best tighthead lock
4th best loosehead lock
6th best blindside
6th best openside
6th best no8 (excludes Coetzee since he's probably facing retirement)

Leinster's 2nd choices in particular embarrass us. Even worse, we've fk all coming through - any young player we have has been taken from elsewhere. You have to imagine that if they were gonna be superstars, they'd have stayed with their local setup.

https://twitter.com/MichaelC_RTE/status/948629625533534209

Breaking: 3 week ban for @Munsterrugby centre Sam Arnold. He is free to play from Monday, January 22 @hughcahill7 @GameOn2FM
Seems like the disciplinary panel thought it was a justified red card anyway. He's out of the next two rounds in the Champions Cup too.

When's Chris Farrell due back? Munster look very light in midfield all of a sudden. I hope they've a better option than Keith Earls to fill in because for all Earls' talents as a wing, he's a substandard 13.

Seems like the disciplinary panel thought it was a justified red card anyway. He's out of the next two rounds in the Champions Cup too.

When's Chris Farrell due back? Munster look very light in midfield all of a sudden. I hope they've a better option than Keith Earls to fill in because for all Earls' talents as a wing, he's a substandard 13.
In the moment with cash on the line I was annoyed, reckon it was the correct call. Could have gone unnoticed if he hadn't hit him like a train though!

An appeal isn't ruled out yet. Verdict wasn't anything not expected as an all Welsh panel are consistent in dealings and rarely overturn.
Farrell is back training but it's possible Rory could go 13 with JJ or Tyler to 12.
Another possibility would be to play Nash at 13 as he has played there at lower level.
Niall Scannell out too and Tommy possibly done for season.

To be fair to us all tries in last 20 came from where we were short the man. Add in we had guys concussed and were only diagnosed after.
But equally Ulster exploited our shortage and showed great heart. The thing I wonder about Ulster is why is it just not clicking. Yes the pack isn't the best but the best 8 aren't awful. The backs I think are of that of a top European team. Don't think it's as from as you think

Its odd but for all those talents in the backs, we do really struggle to really make inroads there at times. Sometimes its poor handling letting us down, and a lack of belief at other times. We do have a tendency to drift a little too often when spreading the ball, as well as not having enough options running off 9 and 10, so we can look quite predictable. Couple that with a real struggle to get good go forward in the tight ever since big Nick left, and you get how we're under performing. As to why, well for a few years now, it's been incredibly strange to see how up and down the team is, especially without Best at the Helm. It could be more than leadership though, but there really is something going on, for sure. The whole Jackson/Olding thing could be causing a split, but im just not sure. Everyone who knows anything up here is so tight lipped on the whole thing. One thing I did like is I thought even before the yellow and red cards,we looked far more potent and dynamic in attack, and defense. Rodney Ah You seems a bit of a waste of space right now to me, he's so underpowered in the tight, and not that effective in the loose to make up for it.

Anyway this weekends game is pivotal now. Ulster with momentum have proved to be formidable, and It could be very tasty indeed to face La Rochelle on the crest of some form. An exciting next few weeks for ulstermen, or a potentially dire one. We'll have to wait to find out

Latest posts