• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Well,It has arrived

S

St Helens RLFC

Guest
You could be hard pushed to get out of that one Dragon. And now we've had our fun for a few days, please, let's cut out the namecalling, as funny as the word "fool" is
 
W

Wally

Guest
Originally posted by Ripper+Jul 25 2004, 08:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jul 25 2004, 08:56 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Dragon Fanatic
@Jul 24 2004, 08:39 PM
Umm champ Energy Australia stadium doesn't take much more than that and the game was a sellout.
Which leaves the question - why wasnt it played in a bigger stadium? Most Blediose Cup tests can sell out Telstra Stadium and since its in the middle of League Terrortairy theres no reason why that farce you lot like too call international league shouldnt as well [/b]
Both years that Stadium Australia had a 110 000 capacity it sold out both times. What is even more impressive is that in the middle of Aussie Rules heartland over 90k came to watch the Wallabies play at the Melbourne Cricket Ground. Once the three test Bledisloe gets the nod the games in Australia should be rotated between Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne. That would do great things for rugby in Australia. The last time we got a Bledisloe in Brisbane was back in 1996 when Frank Bunce got done over by Michael Brial.
 
G

Gay-Guy

Guest
Originally posted by Wally@Jul 25 2004, 11:07 AM
The last time we got a Bledisloe in Brisbane was back in 1996 when Frank Bunce got done over by Michael Brial.
Great game that one and a shame to say goodbye to Brisbane.

Throughout Michael's 15 punch onslaught Bunce held onto the ball with both arms and at the end asked if they had gotten the penalty


In the dying seconds the last play of the game had Frank Bunce scoring the winning try, boulding straight over an Aussie on the line??????????????? first name starts with m, last name starts with b.
 
G

Gay-Guy

Guest
Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Jul 25 2004, 04:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Jul 25 2004, 04:40 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Jul 25 2004, 11:07 AM
The last time we got a Bledisloe in Brisbane was back in 1996 when Frank Bunce got done over by Michael Brial.
Great game that one and a shame to say goodbye to Brisbane.

Throughout Michael's 15 punch onslaught Bunce held onto the ball with both arms and at the end asked if they had gotten the penalty


In the dying seconds the last play of the game had Frank Bunce scoring the winning try, boulding straight over an Aussie on the line??????????????? first name starts with m, last name starts with b.
[/b]
Oh I forgot. The truth about Bunce. He is a local boy (Mangere, South Auckland) who was known here as a real scary Jake the Muss before he made it in the rugby world. Since retiring he has fought recently in a few Celebrity type charity fights, winning them all. Mr Brial's punches must have been so handbaggy that Bunce did not even bother mentioning him as a possible opponent. He did speak apologetically towards what Michael did in that game saying he (Bunce) had done a cheap shot at Michael so deserved that sort of treatment and he was sorry.
 
W

Wally

Guest
He said after the game that the punches were coming so quickly he thought it best to keep his head down.
 
D

Dragon Fanatic

Guest
Originally posted by NZL fan+Jul 25 2004, 10:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Jul 25 2004, 10:30 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Dragon [email protected] 24 2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2004, 09:41 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Dragon Fanatic
@Jul 23 2004, 08:54 PM
Two things;
The NRL is not a National comp but then again it is still more popular than S12.

The second is that gay shield. I have never heard of it before and the Union buff Wally hasn't either. No way in the world would it create more interest. Maybe in NZ but only 4 million people live there. There would be more people who would care about the Trans Tasman tests combined in Australia and NZ then would care about the Ranfurly shield. I even asked Eastsrules about it and he didnt know what it was. What you Leaguies would do without me!

League has just rightfully snaked that point back Ripper my friend.

Where the f*** did you get that from? If you include interest from South Africa and New Zealand the Super 12 burns the NRL in popularity.

I think they were saying that the Ranfurly Shield generates more interest in New Zealand then international league matches.

OK, if Super 12 is so popular why do the anti-siphoning laws do not take it in so it can be shown on FTA. Considering that the NRL has 26 rounds and the Super 12 is 11 and played in spring I can't see how you can compare the two?
I find it interesting that on one thread Dragon fool is comparing NRL and Super 12, whilst on another thread he argues that they shouldn't be compared...............

Super 12 is not more popular then NRL IN AUSSIE, but WORLDWIDE has far more interest...........

I'd be mildly suprised if there is such a thing as a "gay shield" that Dragon fool hasn't heard of it.........


Rugby union get 50,000 points for that............ [/b]
"I find it interesting that on one thread Dragon fool is comparing NRL and Super 12, whilst on another thread he argues that they shouldn't be compared..............."

I have said all along they shouldn't be compared, I was comparing them for arguments sake.

I did say

"Considering that the NRL has 26 rounds and the Super 12 is 11 and played in spring I can't see how you can compare the two?"

You are an imbecile.
 
R

Ripper

Guest
I dont see the difference between a S12 Franchise and a NRL Club.

A S12 Team Isnt a Rep team, nor is a NRL Club a Rep team.

And Ive heard numerous people refer to NRL Teams as a franchise - Mainly on Aussie Sky News and Radio Sport in NZ
 
N

NZL Fan

Guest
Originally posted by Ripper@Jul 26 2004, 08:18 AM
I dont see the difference between a S12 Franchise and a NRL Club.

A S12 Team Isnt a Rep team, nor is a NRL Club a Rep team.

And Ive heard numerous people refer to NRL Teams as a franchise - Mainly on Aussie Sky News and Radio Sport in NZ
Because there is no difference............

New Zealand warriors is an Auckland based team, as is the Auckland Blues..........

NRL used to be a traditional "club" competition, but nowdays "franchises" can be created and bid for a place in the league when expansion occurs (ie. The Wellington bid). The Adelade rams, and western reds were good examples of franchise teams being created (though not substained).

No different to the Aussie rules comp nowdays..........
 
D

Dragon Fanatic

Guest
Hang on. An NRL club is a club that represents the district. You two have NO idea because you don't live in Sydney. You play for your local suburban club i.e. Renown United in the St George district. You play up until you are 16 then you can trial for the Harold Matthews rep side who play against other districts such as South Sydney, Norths, Easts etc... After that you go back to your suburban club and then trial when you are 18 for the SG Ball competition which is the same format as the Harold Matts comp. After this you go back to your club once again and then you trial for Jersey Flegg which is an U21's side consisting of 26 rounds and runs as a Third grade type thing. After this you are either graded with another NRL club or you are graded for your own district to play in the Premier League. If you are seen as a prospect and good enough you are placed in the elite 25 man squad of highest paid players and when the opportunity comes your way you are given a run on in First grade.

Thats how it works in Sydney. It works similarly in QLD but the QLD cup acting as a premier league and the Storm also have a QLD cup feeder side. The Warriors are the exception and use the Bartercard Cup as their premier League.

Now you talk of "franchises" being created. The Central Coast compete in the Harold Matts, SG Ball and the Jersey Flegg under the Central Coast Rips. They are vying for a spot in the NRL to be eligible for first grade, same thing with the Gold Coast they have a huge competiton up there and are in the same predicament as the Central Coast.

Thank you and goodnight.
 
G

Gay-Guy

Guest
Originally posted by Wally@Jul 25 2004, 07:17 PM
He said after the game that the punches were coming so quickly he thought it best to keep his head down.
Yes...they were very fast. You'd think he'd have a brain and drop the ball and cover his head with his hands. John Harts talk on possession, possession, possession must have stuck in.
 
R

Ripper

Guest
Originally posted by Dragon Fanatic@Jul 26 2004, 07:55 PM
Hang on. An NRL club is a club that represents the district. You two have NO idea because you don't live in Sydney. You play for your local suburban club i.e. Renown United in the St George district. You play up until you are 16 then you can trial for the Harold Matthews rep side who play against other districts such as South Sydney, Norths, Easts etc... After that you go back to your suburban club and then trial when you are 18 for the SG Ball competition which is the same format as the Harold Matts comp. After this you go back to your club once again and then you trial for Jersey Flegg which is an U21's side consisting of 26 rounds and runs as a Third grade type thing. After this you are either graded with another NRL club or you are graded for your own district to play in the Premier League. If you are seen as a prospect and good enough you are placed in the elite 25 man squad of highest paid players and when the opportunity comes your way you are given a run on in First grade.

Thats how it works in Sydney. It works similarly in QLD but the QLD cup acting as a premier league and the Storm also have a QLD cup feeder side. The Warriors are the exception and use the Bartercard Cup as their premier League.

Now you talk of "franchises" being created. The Central Coast compete in the Harold Matts, SG Ball and the Jersey Flegg under the Central Coast Rips. They are vying for a spot in the NRL to be eligible for first grade, same thing with the Gold Coast they have a huge competiton up there and are in the same predicament as the Central Coast.

Thank you and goodnight.
Yes, but the Players are often bought and sold.
 
N

NZL Fan

Guest
Originally posted by Dragon Fanatic@Jul 26 2004, 07:55 PM
Hang on. An NRL club is a club that represents the district. You two have NO idea because you don't live in Sydney. You play for your local suburban club i.e. Renown United in the St George district. You play up until you are 16 then you can trial for the Harold Matthews rep side who play against other districts such as South Sydney, Norths, Easts etc... After that you go back to your suburban club and then trial when you are 18 for the SG Ball competition which is the same format as the Harold Matts comp. After this you go back to your club once again and then you trial for Jersey Flegg which is an U21's side consisting of 26 rounds and runs as a Third grade type thing. After this you are either graded with another NRL club or you are graded for your own district to play in the Premier League. If you are seen as a prospect and good enough you are placed in the elite 25 man squad of highest paid players and when the opportunity comes your way you are given a run on in First grade.

Thats how it works in Sydney. It works similarly in QLD but the QLD cup acting as a premier league and the Storm also have a QLD cup feeder side. The Warriors are the exception and use the Bartercard Cup as their premier League.

Now you talk of "franchises" being created. The Central Coast compete in the Harold Matts, SG Ball and the Jersey Flegg under the Central Coast Rips. They are vying for a spot in the NRL to be eligible for first grade, same thing with the Gold Coast they have a huge competiton up there and are in the same predicament as the Central Coast.

Thank you and goodnight.
You have missed the point - there is nothing stopping a franchise successfully joining the NRL comp. Wellington are being considered but would be a totally independantly run franchise.

Again you are talking about the TRADITIONAL clubs - the comp has moved on since then.........and because of that it is now no different then the super 12.......

The Melbourne storm has basically been created out of nothing, mainly transplanting and using players from other parts of Aussie, in order to have a decent league presence in Victoria.......

That my friend is a "franchise".

To add their would be nothing stopping that Melbourne "franchise" being sent to Perth, or Adelade, if it suited the NRL better because of it.
 
W

wigan_rlfc

Guest
Originally posted by NZL fan@Jul 24 2004, 11:30 PM
Super 12 is not more popular then NRL IN AUSSIE, but WORLDWIDE has far more interest...........
Thats quite understandable as the Nrl is only played in One country and a city in New Zealand whereas S12 has teams in each of three different countries.
 
N

NZL Fan

Guest
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 27 2004, 08:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 27 2004, 08:33 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Jul 24 2004, 11:30 PM
Super 12 is not more popular then NRL IN AUSSIE, but WORLDWIDE has far more interest...........
Thats quite understandable as the Nrl is only played in One country and a city in New Zealand whereas S12 has teams in each of three different countries. [/b]
The Japanese for instance get all super 12 games live and are big followers of the comp, even though they do not have a team in super 12...........they wouldn't know what the NRL is........
 
W

wigan_rlfc

Guest
Originally posted by NZL fan+Jul 27 2004, 03:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Jul 27 2004, 03:25 AM)</div>
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 08:33 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Jul 24 2004, 11:30 PM
Super 12 is not more popular then NRL IN AUSSIE, but WORLDWIDE has far more interest...........

Thats quite understandable as the Nrl is only played in One country and a city in New Zealand whereas S12 has teams in each of three different countries.
The Japanese for instance get all super 12 games live and are big followers of the comp, even though they do not have a team in super 12...........they wouldn't know what the NRL is........ [/b]
I didn't know wgat Super 12 was until I started coming n this forum but I knew what the NRL was.
 
S

St Helens RLFC

Guest
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Jul 28 2004, 04:06 AM
I didn't know wgat Super 12 was until I started coming n this forum but I knew what the NRL was.
Yet in a different thread you nominated yourself as a mod because you knew "a lot about rugby union."
 
C

Canadian_Rugby_Guy

Guest
Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 28 2004, 04:30 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 28 2004, 04:30 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wigan_rlfc
@Jul 28 2004, 04:06 AM

I didn't know wgat Super 12 was until I started coming n this forum but I knew what the NRL was.
Yet in a different thread you nominated yourself as a mod because you knew "a lot about rugby union."
[/b]
Maybe he just knew how to play the sport?
 
W

wigan_rlfc

Guest
Originally posted by St_Helens_RLFC+Jul 27 2004, 05:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St_Helens_RLFC @ Jul 27 2004, 05:30 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-wigan_rlfc
@Jul 28 2004, 04:06 AM

I didn't know wgat Super 12 was until I started coming n this forum but I knew what the NRL was.
Yet in a different thread you nominated yourself as a mod because you knew "a lot about rugby union."
[/b]
Yes, this site has educated me to no end.
 
R

Ripper

Guest
Originally posted by wigan_rlfc+Jul 28 2004, 04:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wigan_rlfc @ Jul 28 2004, 04:06 AM)</div>
Originally posted by NZL [email protected] 27 2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by [email protected] 27 2004, 08:33 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-NZL fan
@Jul 24 2004, 11:30 PM
Super 12 is not more popular then NRL IN AUSSIE, but WORLDWIDE has far more interest...........

Thats quite understandable as the Nrl is only played in One country and a city in New Zealand whereas S12 has teams in each of three different countries.

The Japanese for instance get all super 12 games live and are big followers of the comp, even though they do not have a team in super 12...........they wouldn't know what the NRL is........
I didn't know wgat Super 12 was until I started coming n this forum but I knew what the NRL was. [/b]
Last time I checked you didnt live in Japan
 
Top