• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wellington Lions for the championship

Manawatu just beat Canterbury by a point.... What on Earth is happening...?

[/b]
Bloody hell, I didn't pick that one. With that revelation will people start coming around to Otago winning the ***le? :p

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Bloody hell, I didn't pick that one. With that revelation will people start coming around to Otago winning the ***le? :p [/b][/quote]Didn't they make the semifinals 2 seasons ago so you just never know anything can happen.

Go the Naki! :) :mellow: :(

I don't think we will win it but I hope we get into the finals.

I think Wellington will win. Although, who will play fly-half?

im goin to watch tasman play auckland in september at westpac stadium, thats the 2nd last round so hopefully they are topp by then

Go the Naki! :) :mellow: :(

I don't think we will win it but I hope we get into the finals.

I think Wellington will win. Although, who will play fly-half? [/b]

Dan Kirkpatrick is Wellingtons first-five - he was player of the tournament in the recent under 20 world cup. He's got real talent - he will be competing with Willie Ripia for a starting spot in the Hurricanes next year.

Canterbury got a shock last weekend but I think they will bounce back. They have a lot of players to return from injury. Wellington could win it, but not too sure if they have the firepower. Weepu being called up for All Black duty was a big blow.

Wellington Lions 30 Hawkes Bay Magpies 6 woohoo what a game aye. The crowds aren't the biggest but the game was pretty good for the conditions. Hawkes Bay had the wind behind them in the 1st half and there were some funny goings on with the ball going all over the place.

Hosea Gear had a alright game powering through a few tackles and scoring the 1st try for the Lions. Alot of unknown players but all contributed to a good game. 7's star Victor Vito showed potential taking a few balls at the lineout, grabing opposition ball at the breakdown and making 20-25m off the scrum because of his pace.

Can't wait to see who linesup for next weeks game it should be good and I think Jamie Joseph's gonna steer our boys to the final and win it.

GO WELLYZ!!!! :bana: :bana:
[/b]

I've just watched this match. Did Hawkes Bay have any kind of gameplan at all other than to throw every available body at each breakdown?

Wellington looked pretty good in parts. Really like the look of Vito and Kirkpatrick looks like he's a got a lot of talent.
I take it that choosing to tap rather than opt for a scrum is the way the Lions like to play the game? I was surprised they didn't elect to scrum on a few occasions especially in some of the attacking positions they found themselves in.

Overall an enjoyable game especially the second half.

GO the Lions!!! They looked real good against the Hawke's bay last Friday.Hopefully they'll go all the way this season.

They bloody better because I've been buying alot of their merchandise and I want my moneys worth lol. GO THE LIONS!!

Yeeaahh!! The Lions won 30-27 too much boys what a start to the season. Didn't look to good for us at halftime but Weepu brang them back and led an awesome 2nd half to just take the win in the 79th min. I thought it was over until Barney went over had a few casualties with Corey Jane not playing the 2nd half because of injured ribs and Dan Kirkpatrick injured too.

Pretty neat alright aye they've given Weepu the captaincy and he plays just as good at no.10 than he does at no.9 awesome brothers just bloody awesome.

GO THE LIONS!!

They were lucky! nah it was a good game aye! Kudos for Weepu... he really wants to be in the mix for the AB's come selection time ay.

Thomas Waldrom is the mayn or what! lol Thats why he's starting number 8 on my 08 game lol

lets just say dont bet against Otago this year...
Probly get dicked ths W/E lol

The Lions are going pretty damn good this season we've only lost 1 out of 6 games and that was in preseason so they look good to make it to the finals. What a performance tonight against the counties 64-7 we gave them a right thrashing I couldn't believe it I knew we had a good chance of winning to be honest but I didn't think we'd do it by 50+.

What about Hosea Gears hatrick aye what finishing he's been playing mean as this year for the Nz Maori, Hurricanes and Lions hope he's not gonna be another player to get poached from the NH. How about Victor Vito too gees this fulla has potential and his try he just used his sheer pace and good hands to coast through the little gap and run in and he was getting to the rucks which was good.

If it's gonna be 1 season that the Lions win it please let it be this year.

WELLYZ FOR THE ANZ CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!

As long as they don't have to play Auckland during the knockout satges you mean?

The lions have got loads of talent and probably have the best team on paper in the comp.

Two to really look out for are hooker Dane Coles and young utility Buxton Popoali'i.

September 20 - The Shield returns to the Capital

Havent' watched the weekends game yet just saw the highlights on the news. I was pretty confident that the Lions would win against the Stags but apparently they gave us a good go in the 1st half so can't wait to see it. Home game this week so hopefully we can use that to our advantage and keep our winning record going because it's been good so far.

I can't wait for the shield challenge it should be a mean game. I can't even remeber the last time we even had a Shield challenge.

WELLYZ FOR THE SHIELD!!!!

Gees cut it out Wellington Lions they're just thrashing everyone now aye :cheers: 7 tries and Piri Weepu must of only missed one kick and he certainly doesn't look out of position playing at No.10 infact I'd say he's probably the best No.10 in the competition at the moment on form.

Victor Vito what a menace he's gonna be aye boys got some pace and size to match. Got a good try off the back of the scrum and than he goes along and gets a good 25-30m try with a few fullaz hanging off him.

I don't even need to say anything about Hosea Gear just look him up in the the new Thread I made it'll tell you all the details there. Honestly I must of hit the highest of highest notes I've ever because of this fulla his finishing was just pure pace and power.

Wellington Lions are definately looking the goods this season and so far they've managed to thrash most teams by 20+ with the exception of North Harbour. I hope Auckland don't lose that bloody shield against Waikato tonight and if they maintain it long enough to come against the Wellington Lions they better look out because they'll be in for one hell of a game.

The game was at Hamilton -> Not a shield game.

With the way Auckland are playing, I wouldn't be suprised if Wellington win the Shield.

Of course, Wellington are always **** against Auckland.

Latest posts