• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh deserve chance - Griffiths

C

Cymro

Former Wales defence coach Clive Griffiths says it's galling that none of his countrymen seem to be in the running to take over at the Ospreys.

_44672942_griffiths_203.jpg

He was also shocked at Phil Davies' sacking as Llanelli Scarlets director of rugby after two seasons in charge.

"It's very disappointing because I believe we have people of quality in Wales," said Griffiths.

"It's a bit galling. I've been through this myself. You see every name under the sun mentioned bar Welsh coaches."

Ospreys elite performance director Andrew Hore is a New Zealander and fellow Antipodeans such as Steve Hansen, Todd Blackadder, Scott Johnson and Glenn Moore have been touted in reports about the possible candidates to take over the star-studded Welsh region.

Griffiths said: "The appointment (Hore) may have had a bearing on Lyn's situation, but when the new appointment was made you had to ask the questions of where's the influence coming from?

"There's a strong overseas influence there with the new appointment and there's a strong overseas influence in the names being mentioned and bandied about.

"Only time will tell if that will come into fruition as regards the guy taking over from Lyn, whether it will be a Welshman or someone from the southern hemisphere."

Griffiths' also says Davies was not afforded the same level of patience that predecessor Gareth Jenkins enjoyed.

"Phil had a good first season and this season was a little bit indifferent, but in Stradey there seems to be zero tolerance.

"Unfortunately Phil has felt the full blast of that. It takes a coach a while to get his stamp on things and get his way through.

"Some people may say two years is long enough. They had a disappointing campaign in Europe and he wasn't given the time that he probably needs to nail down his philosophies on the club.

"Other coaches have been given a lot longer and there's been a little bit of patience shown in that direction.

"If you take Phil's predecessor (Gareth Jenkins), he was there for many, many a year and didn't have great seasons every year, but there was a degree of patience shown."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7410514.stm

As in football, now that results=money, the coaches are going to be more in the firing line. Look how many foreign coaches & players are in british football.

I get the impression that southern hemisphere coaches are more forward thinking, not only on the pitch but off the pitch. There are some good welsh coaches around but is it coincidence that Warren Gatland has come in and changed Wales around completely where Gareth Jenkins failed with more or less the same squad of players.

I agree with Clive Griffiths that Welsh coaches have to be given a chance but in a culture where results are king, then clubs/regions/countries look for the best around rather than 'grow their own'.

Latest posts