• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

Imo there's a huge amount for both the WRU and certain clubs to answer for. Whilst in general clubs seem to only be looking out for their best interests, that to an extent is expected, but some clubs, especially during the transition to regional rugby, really didn't seem to have any concern for Welsh rugby in general, and only looked after themselves. The obvious culprits were Llanelli, Cardiff and Newport, but I wouldn't be surprised if a few more clubs had a helping hand.

The WRU simply aren't doing enough to support the clubs in Wales, from the regions all the way down to grass-roots rugby. I've got nothing against them making a deal with Tesco to sell international tickets, so long as the extra money made is given back to the clubs, or at least compensating the clubs. I understand the need to reduce debts, but in exactly the same way as the current government, the WRU are doing so without looking at the bigger picture. There's no point reducing debts at the expense of Welsh rugby.

Both sides need to pull their fingers out and do what's best for Welsh rugby as a whole, not what's best for them. If they don't, there's no telling how desperate things will get.

Stephen Jones to retire at the end of the season......................

I think Stephen Jones deserves a massive amount of respect for his great career. He never had the kind of natural talent that many other players possess, but with hard work he's carved himself an incredibly good career. The most capped Welsh player of all time, with 104 caps, 2 Lions tours as first choice 10, a great career with Llanelli/Scarlets, and a very good period with Clermont in France where he shone. Not bad for someone who doesn't always look totally natural running or kicking lol.

Who an earth saw this kid and decided he would make a prop? Got to be one of the most unlikely looking props I've ever seen.

Thomas_Davies.jpg

Mako Vunipola (who has a strong Welsh accent and is Toby Faletau's cousin) was passed up on by the Dragons as a youth apparently. Poor work from the Dragons, they could have do with some better props.

Last edited by a moderator:
In all fairness, it is tough to pick someone at age ~12, which is how old he was when he left Wales I think.
At least we don't full develop them before sending them over, unlike the turks.

Also, Vunipola Sr. apparently wanted his lads to represent Wales, but they opted for England before the grade-age stuff, so there you have it.

It is plenty fun to laugh at the Dragons though.

Draggs is that all you ever do is have a pop at the Scarlets, when you regions perfect please let me know!!!

188832_427077110707646_2025601274_n.jpg

Photo of a 11 year old Billy Vunipola and Harry Robinson!

Ken Owens has signed and extension with the Scarlets until the end of the 2014/15 season.
Good news.

The Dragons may have the worst Welsh team, but their fans chants do amuse me. As well as this one, I like their "knock on" tune as well, fooled the commentators that there were Bayonne fans singing Le Marseillaise at Rodney Parade recently as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nPNh4dzt59U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Couldn't decide where this should go, but:

Shaun Edwards says he nearly quit rugby union after Lions snub

A little over the top maybe. After-all I suppose he shouldn't have expected to be a shoe-in for the job, even if he and Gatland have done a lot together.

The problem is, if it affected him this much, how is the relationship now between him and Gatland? If Edwards thinks that Gatland has prevented him from experiencing a possible highlight of his coaching career then things could be a little off. How will this affect Wales when Gatland returns as Wales coach, or will Gatland even return after seeing Howley step-up to the plate at last?

Is this the beginning of possible problems for Wales due to Gatland being Lions coach?

Last edited:
I was a little concerned about this too, Dullonien. If Edwards was that ****** off he was about to pack his bags then it does naturally make you wonder what relationships are currently like in the Welsh camp. I'm not concerned about the atmosphere within the squad, because players have said recently that everyone is "bouncing off the walls" etc.

I'm not entirely sure Gatland had sole choice over who he takes with him in his coaching team. I think what Phil Vickery said on Scrum V the other night may be true, or partially true, in that the coaching team selection has been political in some way.

I'm not entirely sure Gatland had sole choice over who he takes with him in his coaching team. I think what Phil Vickery said on Scrum V the other night may be true, or partially true, in that the coaching team selection has been political in some way.

That may be true, but there were other ways to be political. He could have taken Edwards as defence coach and taken someone else other than Howley as attack coach. Howley would probably have been fine with not going, and it would have benefited Wales by having a little consistency in their head coach, whereas now they go to Japan with yet another head coach in charge which means that in the past year they will have had Gatland-> Howley->Gatland->Howley->McBryde. Fantastic!

Great to see the name back at 6 on the Dragons teamsheet. Although he won't get easily back in the Wales side with Warburic and Ryan Jones there. Great options at flanker for Wales.

Here's a quick reminder as to what Lydiate is capable of though.

As for the game, that Dragons front row will get a pasting for sure.

Ospreys: 15 Richard Fussell, 14 Tom Habberfield, 13 Jonathan Spratt, 12 Ashley Beck, 11 Tom Isaacs, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Kahn Fotuali'i, 8 Jonathan Thomas, 7 Justin Tipuric, 6 James King, 5 Ian Evans, 4 Alun Wyn Jones (c), 3 Adam Jones, 2 Richard Hibbard, 1 Ryan Bevington.
Replacements: 16 Scott Baldwin, 17 Duncan Jones, 18 Dmitri Arhip, 19 Lloyd Peers, 20 George Stowers, 21 Rhys Webb, 22 Matthew Morgan, 23 Ben John.

Dragons: 15 Dan Evans, 14 Adam Hughes, 13 Pat Leach, 12 Jack Dixon, 11 Ross Wardle, 10 Steffan Jones, 9 Wayne Evans; 8 Lewis Evans (c), 7 Nic Cudd, 6 Dan Lydiate, 5 Adam Jones, 4 Andrew Coombs, 3 Nathan Buck, 2 Sam Parry, 1 Owen Evans.
Replacements: 16 Hugh Gustafson, 17 Phil Price, 18 Dan Way, 19 Ian Nimmo, 20 Toby Faletau, 21 Jonathan Evans, 22 Will Harries, 23 Hallam Amos.

Lydiate must be in the Welsh 23, no doubt. Pick the backrow that suits our gameplan. Great to have such depth. A few years back our backrow consisted of Jonathan Thomas and Popham! The only edge we have over the Os is probably back three and maybe even in back row and midfield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't Faletau starting for the Dragons? Why does Darren Edwards think he can leave pretty much their best player out in a derby against the Ospreys?

Great to see Lydiate back.

O's appear to have once again reverted to picking Jon Thomas at 8.....

Why isn't Faletau starting for the Dragons? Why does Darren Edwards think he can leave pretty much their best player out in a derby against the Ospreys?

Great to see Lydiate back.

O's appear to have once again reverted to picking Jon Thomas at 8.....

Yeah that is ridiculous really. I know Zebre aren't going to catch up with Dragons now in the table, but if this was the Aviva Prem, Dragons would be itching to start Faletau as soon as he got back off international duty, so as to avoid battling at the bottom of the table for relegation spot. Maybe this highlights why Rabo 12 would be better with some similar relegation system. It would force teams into fielding their best players pretty much week after week. Wish there were more teams.

Latest posts