• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad under Gatland

He only has 8 caps so they'd have to bin off their eligibility rules.

I remember a few Welsh posters hailing Sam Davies as a future Lions 10 and various other hype filled statements. That didn't work out so well for him …

He only has 8 caps so they'd have to bin off their eligibility rules.

I remember a few Welsh posters hailing Sam Davies as a future Lions 10 and various other hype filled statements. That didn't work out so well for him …

Honestly with the Exeter welsh academy I see them binning off their rules now that their golden age are retiring

The scenes at quins if Evans gets called up
How's he going at Quins?

I've watched the hughlights of their games this season, but difficult to judge from them. I saw he cost them the win v Gloucester with a clumsy tackle at the death which was unfortunate.

Settling in. Nothing special so far, but decent enough.

Lloyd for me. I wouldn't of let Evans leave Wales either
Lloyd needs to prove himself at Scarlets first. He's had a difficult start playing behind a battered packs out in SA. His place kicking was good yesterday, but he didn't show much otherwise - hopefully he'll grow into the role.

Still not convinced his long term position is at 10 though. 15 may be his best position where he has more space to showcase his talents.

Lloyd needs to prove himself at Scarlets first. He's had a difficult start playing behind a battered packs out in SA. His place kicking was good yesterday, but he didn't show much otherwise - hopefully he'll grow into the role.

Still not convinced his long term position is at 10 though. 15 may be his best position where he has more space to showcase his talents.
Yeah I don't think he's ready yet or anything and I would've had him playing international rugby ever since he made his debut 3 years ago but because we've stifled his development (and to be fair he's had injury problems) we just have a kid who has potential and nothing more at the minute.

Hopefully he can play well for Scarlets and be in the mix ahead of Owen Williams or someone.

Yeah I don't think he's ready yet or anything and I would've had him playing international rugby ever since he made his debut 3 years ago but because we've stifled his development (and to be fair he's had injury problems) we just have a kid who has potential and nothing more at the minute.

Hopefully he can play well for Scarlets and be in the mix ahead of Owen Williams or someone.
Yeah, agree with that to an extent. Owen Williams has had a horrid start to the season, looked really, really poor; so unless he has a change of form he should be nowhere neer the 6N squad.

Realistically the genuine options available to Gatland are: Costellow, Sheedy, Williams, Lloyd and O'Brien.

O'Brien is a player who's impressed me for a little while, although more as a fullback. Siege gun of a boot and a decent all round player. He's had an indifferent start to the season where his short kicking game backfired last weekend, but overall he ticks a lot of boxes.

Yeah, agree with that to an extent. Owen Williams has had a horrid start to the season, looked really, really poor; so unless he has a change of form he should be nowhere neer the 6N squad.

Realistically the genuine options available to Gatland are: Costellow, Sheedy, Williams, Lloyd and O'Brien.

O'Brien is a player who's impressed me for a little while, although more as a fullback. Siege gun of a boot and a decent all round player. He's had an indifferent start to the season where his short kicking game backfired last weekend, but overall he ticks a lot of boxes.
My 2 problems with O'Brien are that he's not a 10 and he's 29. Might as well start developing a younger kid with a higher ceiling in my opinion. With Costelow out we need the next young one coming through.

My 2 problems with O'Brien are that he's not a 10 and he's 29. Might as well start developing a younger kid with a higher ceiling in my opinion. With Costelow out we need the next young one coming through.
Yeah, O'Brien probably looks more comfortable at 15. 29 isn't too old though. Sure it'd be better if he were 21, but at 29 he has a WC in him which is important.

Also if there were a few young 10's pushing through it would help. Other than Costellow, what other young 10's look promising at the regions, even 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice? Ioan Lloyd and Will Reed at the Dragons are the only obvious condidates, and both have only shown glipses of potential so far.

As a result, Ioan Lloyd should certainly be in the 6N squad, alongside Costellow and probably Sheedy and/or O'Brien/Williams. Gatland name checked Ben Thomas, but he never plays 10 for Cardiff and hasn't really pushed on as hoped as a 12.

Even at age grade I've not seen too much to get excited about. The recent U20 10, Dan Edwards is a bag of tricks, but looks a way off regional level, let alone international. I've not heard much talk of other young 10's either. When the likes of Biggar, Nipper, Jordan Williams, Sam Davies, Jarrod Evans, Costellow etc. were coming through the academies there was a lot of talk about their potential. Not all lived up to that early talk, but there was still a buzz around them. All seems a little quiet on the 10 front atm. which is a little worrying.

Ohhhhh, so it turns out Jarrod Evans is eligible for Wales due to not having a credible offer before moving to Quins. Him and Lloyd as our 10s in the 6N would be good. Surely we should be doing the same with Hawkins at Exeter as I doubt Ospreys were offering anything credible either

Latest posts