• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad under Gatland

Wales preliminary training squad for Rugby World Cup 2023

Wales World Cup training squad:

Forwards (31)

Rhys Carre (Cardiff Rugby – 20 caps), Corey Domachowski (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped), Kemsley Mathias (Scarlets – uncapped), Nicky Smith (Ospreys – 42 caps), Gareth Thomas (Ospreys – 21 caps), Eliott Dee (Dragons – 41 caps), Ryan Elias (Scarlets – 33 caps), Dewi Lake (Ospreys – 8 caps), Ken Owens (Scarlets – 91 caps), Keiron Assiratti (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped), Tomas Francis (Ospreys – 71 caps), Will Davies-King (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Rugby – 50 caps), Henry Thomas (Montpellier – uncapped), Adam Beard (Ospreys – 46 caps), Ben Carter (Dragons – 9 caps), Rhys Davies (Ospreys – 2 caps), Cory Hill (Yokohama Canon Eagles – 32 caps), Dafydd Jenkins (Exeter Chiefs – 6 cap), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys – 157 caps), Will Rowlands (Dragons – 23 caps), Christ Tshiunza (Exeter Chiefs – 5 caps), Teddy Williams (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped), Taine Basham (Dragons – 11 caps), Taulupe Faletau (Cardiff Rugby – 100 caps), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys – 68 caps), Josh Macleod (Scarlets – 2 caps), Jac Morgan (Ospreys – 9 caps), Tommy Reffell (Leicester Tigers – 9 caps), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys – 93 caps), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons – 37 caps)

Backs (23)

Gareth Davies (Scarlets – 67 caps), Kieran Hardy (Scarlets – 17 caps), Rhys Webb (Ospreys – 40 caps), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 45 caps), Gareth Anscombe (Ospreys – 35 caps), Dan Biggar (Toulon – 107 caps), Sam Costelow (Scarlets – 2 caps), Owen Williams (Ospreys – 7 caps), Mason Grady (Cardiff Rugby – 2 caps), Max Llewellyn (Cardiff Rugby – uncapped), George North (Ospreys – 113 caps), Joe Roberts (Scarlets – uncapped), Nick Tompkins (Saracens – 27 caps), Johnny Williams (Scarlets – 5 caps), Keiran Williams (Ospreys – uncapped), Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby – 49 caps), Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys – 57 caps), Rio Dyer (Dragons – 7 caps), Cai Evans (Ospreys – uncapped), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets – 99 caps), Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby – 25 caps), Tom Rogers (Scarlets – 2 caps), Liam Williams (Cardiff Rugby – 84 caps)

The line they've given us one I suspected they might pull, that the warm up games will count as capped games.
He won't be a dragons player at that point, though, will he? Presumably contracts end on the last day of the season - that's how it is in the premiership at least

He won't be a dragons player at that point, though, will he? Presumably contracts end on the last day of the season - that's how it is in the premiership at least
Yeah, it's definitely a grey area, and when I say grey I mean they're just blagging it.

Shame no Bradley Roberts. Elias was turning his bad form around a bit to be fair but not sure, think I'd rather have Roberts in there. I would've picked Seb Davies as well but whatever.

We've picked 10 back row options (and that's including Tshiunza and Teddy Williams) and we have 1 out and out 8, even with Wainwright as backup it's 2. Would've thought Morgan Morris would get a chance. At least Wyn Jones isn't in.

From the PRB

"Dragons lock Will Rowlands (who has 23-caps), who is also due to move outside of the country next season, does remain available for selection this summer as his registration will still be held in Wales during this time."

My thoughts on the squad.

Front row: relatively happy here. Really pleased that Domachowski and Asseratti have been included, as both have shown an appetite for scrummaging that many haven't. Henry Thomas is a shock, but if he can hold his own in the scrum I'll welcome him with open arms (the rule is utter **** mind). I'd have preferred Roberts over Elias, but I 'aint going to lose any sleep over it.

Second row: happy to see Rowlands eligible, we need him at his best. Hill too should add something. We're stronger here than what it was shaping up to be 6months ago before the cap reduction, so happy with that.

Backrow: I have some real issues here surrounding the non-selections of Young, Botham and Morris. I don't see how Macleod and Lydiate are included ahead of Young and Botham + what else does Morris have to do? Probably the best 8 in Wales for the past couple of seasons inc. Faletau!

Halfbacks: happy enough. Glad to see Davies back at 9, really deserves it after his recent form. Still ****** that Pivac + Gats have prevented Jarrod Evans from gaining the 25 caps needed, he should be far in excess of that. Don't blame him at all for leaving! Great to see Costellow there.

Centres: wouldn't change anything here. Lots of potential. Shame to see Hawkins ineligible as he's a potential star, but realistically this WC is too soon for him anyway.

Back three: This selection looks weak to me. There's 3 old & injury prone players there in Sanjay, 1/2p and Cuthbert. Cai Evans is bang average! Rogers hasn't really kicked on, and Adams has been in a bit of a rut recently. Wouldn't be surprised if Grady was utilised on the wing this WC after a strong showing there on judgement day. O'Brien and Conbeer are unlucky to miss out, although Conbeer's form has dropped right at the worst time...

So overall, bit of a mixed bag. There's a handful of changes I would have made, and there's a few mental calls in there imo; but overall it's a very Gatland squad, he loves a few left field selections!

Montpellier have released Henry Thomas because he won't be available during the RWC,

Does that mean he has to sign for a region now? Or is it all down to when he signs a contract vs when his first cap is?

Edit:
According to this being part of the squad locks you in:

Last edited:

That feels like it's come out of nowhere?

Edit:

Couple of months before the rwc seems a weird time to call it a day - has he been told he's not in the squad?

Last edited:
There has to be something going on behind closed doors. He's not at his best but there's no way he's been told this early that he won't be making the squad.

Perhaps with the WRU in such a dire state he desperately wants out of Wales but foreign clubs won't sign him if he's going to be missing for the first few months of the season? Seems very late in the season for that to be the case though.

AWJ has just retired from International rugby as well:

I'm guessing the players have been told their squad places today and Tipuric/AWJ aren't in the reduced numbers so decided to retire and focus fully on their club season rather than be left in the limbo of being a potential injury call up

It is a little odd for both of these guys to walk at the same time, especially AWJ turning down a potential RWC swan song to bow out?

I cannot imagine Gatland not wanting them at the heart of the group to steer this rebuilding team through a tricky RWC?

AWJ has just retired from International rugby as well:

I'm guessing the players have been told their squad places today and Tipuric/AWJ aren't in the reduced numbers so decided to retire and focus fully on their club season rather than be left in the limbo of being a potential injury call up

Unless wales is going "play the kids" I can't imagine either of them not making a World Cup squad. They have to be setting up a club career.

Latest posts