• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wendell Sailor

Ah fair enough. I don't really follow rugby league, did he play at international level in Oz or was that only for union?

Glad he was continuing his career though, regardless of code!

Ah fair enough. I don't really follow rugby league, did he play at international level in Oz or was that only for union?

Glad he was continuing his career though, regardless of code! [/b]
Yeah, he did everything in League before he went to Union. He won grand-finals, won origin series and won test series.

<div class='quotemain'> They really threw the book at him, sadly. He is an awesome player - when his ban is lifted does anyone think he will regain his place in the Wallabies side? Or will his ban have left him unplayable, even if his abilites reach the mark? [/b]
He's going back to the NRL (rugby league) next season.
[/b][/quote]

Probably because no Union team would touch a druggie.

Australia winger Wendell Sailor has withdrawn his appeal against a two-year doping ban for taking cocaine.

Sailor was suspended by the Australian Rugby Union after testing positive following a New South Wales match against the ACT Brumbies on 16 April.

"I have decided to withdraw my appeal in the Court of Arbitration of Sport," he said in a statement.

"Ultimately, I accept that it was my error of judgment that has placed me in this position."

Sailor, a dual code rugby union and league international, who played for the Wallabies 37 times, added: "I cannot stress enough that I did not and would never have attempted to cheat in sport through any means.

"Unfortunately I, like many other young Australians, fell to the off-field temptation of a so-called 'party drug'."

Sailor said that while he was banned from playing competitive sport, he would commit himself to educating young athletes on the dangers of banned substances. Sailor has endured a colourful off-field career since making his Wallabies debut in 2003. He was given a two-match suspended sentence for a nightclub incident while touring South Africa in 2005.

What a dick. He never seemed to me to be under the influence of amphetamines when he was on the pitch,

so I guess it was a silly error. Feel a bit sorry for him, but if you're a professional sportsman, then you just can't do this sort of stuff.

Definite Wall Of Shame, along with that Tonga fella that did Moody's nose.

hahaha he was just trying get become used 2 getting close 2 the white line something he hadnt been familiar with at the time..

he deserves completly to be in this shame wall, this is a lack of respect to all the opponents and companions with whom he has played

He went bad when he went south to NSW, thats when the crap started. U never turn your back on QLD, it always ends badly. He has apparently sign for St George in the NRL...

:%#%#: c'mon! I sorta know him from some international games but why would rugby leage accept him after finding out about his drug addiction. Oh well, I guess its rugby leage who suffers B)

:%#%#: c'mon! I sorta know him from some international games but why would rugby leage accept him after finding out about his drug addiction. Oh well, I guess its rugby leage who suffers B) [/b]
I don't know if it was a drug addiction as much as he was excessively partying. There is a difference. Not to champion the man, but he is a really strong runner and he did have some real moments with the wallabies, with queensland and with nsw. He's been dealt a strict punishment for what he did, and now it's time for him to move on and try to continue his career. Maybe I'm used to this sort of stuff because it happens in American sport like every day. Personally I'd love to see him playing for St. George. Hopefully, he's got his life back under control and set his priorities.

I'm of the opinion that a majority of people deserve a second chance.
He hasn't harmed anyone, if he's learnt his lesson and has attained a professional attitude then let him play again i say.

Sailor's ban is to end just in time for Round 9 or 10 or the NRL.

The way the Dragons are going, they might see fit to stick him on the bench to see how he goes.

He's got a game with a local League side down the coast here this weekend, Shellharbour I think. Look for him on the Dragons bench shortly! <_<

:%#%#: c'mon! I sorta know him from some international games but why would rugby leage accept him after finding out about his drug addiction. Oh well, I guess its rugby leage who suffers B) [/b]
Yeah, as Rothy said being caught with coccain once in your system doesn't equal a drug addiction... He was a man with a lot of money and who never had to really work a proper job and that often, sadly, leads to a lack of maturity and stupid decisions with footy players. He was in career best form (at least in Union) in his final year until he got caught, so I was genuinely angry at him for being so stupid. But that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve another chance...

He should've never left league.

Only wore a Wallaby jersey due to his profile.

Only wore a Wallaby jersey due to his profile. [/b]
I shall disagree. He was quite a good winger, IMO.
_39162510_sailo_afp.jpg
_39326427_sailor_g33.jpg

Only wore a Wallaby jersey due to his profile. [/b]
Wendell wasn't a bad player... he was actually a pretty effective winger a lot of the time, and hit some really good form in the year leading up to his expulsion. It's just that he didn't hit the heady heights that was expected of him that causes people (particularly people who hate league) to constantly negatively exaggerate his abilities in Union (and to be fair, it was the media and not him that built him up to be the next Jonah Lomu - a tag that was always going to lead to disappointment).

let's just hope he limits himself to excessive drinking and late-night altercations :D

i still vaguely remember something insane involving a taxi driver in south africa...

great player though, quite a machine during his heyday knocking over defenders, breaking tackles.

Latest posts