• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wendell Sailor

O

O'Rothlain

<div align="center">
Wendell%20Sailor.jpg
</div>
*Cue Song "White Lines" by Grandmaster Flash*
So, should cocaine use get someone banned for 2 years? Two full years in a Pro Rugby Players life is like a quarter of their career. Is the penalty to heavy?

Also, what do you think of him as a player (aside from the off-the-pitch stuff)?

2 years is a bit steep for recreational drugs. it's not like cocaine enhances your performance.... it just makes you think you're better than you really are :)

It should really be something like 4 weeks first for your first failed test and forced to partake in a drug program where you are constantly tested, 8 for the next offence, 1 year for the third then any failed test afterward should be a lifetime ban(an arbitrator ruling down the line could lower the penalty).

Agreed, 2 years is a long time especially in a rugby career life. Thats half if not most of your peak in this sport. But in saying that, i can see where the rugby judiciary are coming from, with a zero tolerance attitude towards drugs in general by making an example out of sailor unfortunate for him.

Wendell sucks at rugby - he was much better as a league player.
As for the 2 yr ban, im thinking you should be charged along the line of the countries drugs laws - the same as the winter olympics was recently( any drug cheats would be charged under the countries drugs laws not the sports laws) which in some countries would mean even harder penalties.

my 2c anyway

agreed with danny on the first point. Wendell was a top leaguey, but unfortunately never really found his feet in union. No past experience and rushing him into the Wallabies wasn't the best preparation for the big dell.

He is good, but he got what he deserves. Kids watch this game man. It's bad enough that guys beat eachother up for 80mins, now to know that some of them are druggies??? I think its good that he got such a harsh punishment. I think he has a bit of a "hardcore" attitude. Look how he swore at the crowd in the Reds Waratahs game. Yes, the Reds fans were boo-ing him, but he is a public figure and an ambassador of Aussie Rugby. Bad behaviour doesn't belong in Rugby.

It should really be something like 4 weeks first for your first failed test and forced to partake in a drug program where you are constantly tested, 8 for the next offence, 1 year for the third then any failed test afterward should be a lifetime ban(an arbitrator ruling down the line could lower the penalty).
[/b]
:blink:
I agree wholeheartedly.
2 years is just a bit ridiculous for non-sports-enhancing drugs. If he were on steroids, then nail his balls to the wall for all I care...that's cheating. But cocaine is just going to f___ him up in the end, and he'll bring his own demise as an athlete.

He should have to apologize to the kids, and be committed to working in some sort of ant-drug program. There are always the eyes of the children watching and he should acknowledge that.

Good response man. I like yours more than mine.
[/b]
I had a boss that was from Pretoria...he hired me because I asked him if he was a blue bulls fan. This is the first time my knowledge of rugby has ever paid off in the US. He was a hard-ass though.

2 years is a bit steep for recreational drugs. it's not like cocaine enhances your performance.... it just makes you think you're better than you really are :) [/b]

He must have taken 1 hell of a lot then.

lol, wendell always had a massive head. Also, does anyone else think that the dell's background from league attributed to his attitude and behaviour. Surely the culture in league that he came from had some sort of influence on this.

well actually i should be more detailed. I really meant to say the NRL when i talk about leaguies. The stereotype of league culture (well in some clubs) is that drinking and bad behaviour is more accepted in league compared to union. They seem to be more leanient when it comes to those sort of things.