• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

West Indies v Australia

A

An Tarbh

West Indies won the toss and out the Aussies into bat in the opening Super Eight match at the newly opened Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua.

Not the belter of the start they got against South Africa with Hayden taking 18 balls to get off the mark and Gilchrist and Ponting both out early enough. Still pretty well set tp build a decent total though with Clarke and Hayden at the crease on 96-2 after 20 overs.

Rain has stopped play with only a few overs left but Australia looking in decent nick on 286-5, awesome innings from Hayden yet again, despite the slow start but now going at more than a run a ball. That would have been hard to believe had you said that a few hours ago.

Match has been rained off for the day, they'll come back tomorrow with the Windies chasing 323 from the full 50 overs.

GO THE AUSSIES! :cheers:

I dont think the windies will get past this, the opposition they have being playing is pretty poor so far as soon as they played a team that is class they have fallen over.

Going to be interesting, as they played today, got their innings tomorrow, then play Blackcaps the day after... nice scheduling :p

it's a world cup the scheduling is always tight and a few teams will always be shafted in each round. it is the way it goes. also you can't predict the weather and I am sure many fans are glad there are reserve days.

I think it all comes down to the start the windies get as that is where a lot of their firepower is. the middle to lower order proabbly won't be able to get them home from a tight spot but could finish it off if the top guys do the bulk of the work. the windies would also been hoping for fine weather. there is nothing worse in a big game than coming on and off the field especially when chasing a big total. sure the rain afffects the aussies too but in this situation I think it would disrupt the windies more

Yeah, the Windies will have to make their own momentum if you know what i mean. Like, if there was no rain and if they just started batting after the Australian innings, there would have been a kind of game momentum, whereas they are pretty much starting afresh with a pretty decent score to chase. It's going to be very hard for them.

Well conditions look perfect today as the West Indies look set to start their innings, you'd certainly expect batting to be easier than yesterday so you never know, especially if Gayle gets set pretty quickly.

Easy win in the end for the Aussies, I expected more from the West Indies but they just didn't seem right mentally and even with the 2 points from the Ireland game they might struggle to get to the semis if their mental state is like that for the remaining games.

yeah well sri lanka and the windies are disadvantaged with bangladesh and ireland going through. they really only get to play one of the little boys :) (sounds so wrong). saf beating sri lanka today helped out some of the other teams as well after the top two are sorted (one being aussie) the race for 3 and 4 could be very close

it certainly gives New Zealand an advantage alright having those 2 points, was never going to be a factor for the Aussies as it's hard to see them losing any game in the Super Eights.

Latest posts